Week 7 GDT: Panthers @ Bears

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, 51to54 said:

So at this rate, even if Trubisky plays the rest of the season he'll only have 3-4 games worth of 'real' QB experience so he'll be going into 2018 as a near-rookie, instead of a full on rookie.

Kind of a high price to pay to let Fox commi to saving his job by stunting Trubisky's growth.

With 4 or so sacks on Trubisky, it's not like Fox is keeping Trubisky out of harm's way either.

Well, at least the kid is 2-0.

2-1, lost to the Vikings in his first start

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I think the OL as much as anyone...our ZBS is all about getting guys on skates...but defenders are smart and know that we are running on early downs so don't try and penetrate...instead they stack making it tougher to move them then shed...then on 3rd down they don't need to play the run and are getting a jump on those guys...I think we have seen basic offences work in the NFL before...prime example is Jim Harbaugh who does nothing fancy...but scared offence never works.

Very true, but Jim had a habit of keeping people off balance and putting his players in favorable positions. If Loggains did that I'd have little to complain about, but he is doing anything but that.

Harbaugh took advantage of Smith's accuracy in the short game, attacked all over the field, and ran levels and other concepts to let Smith make the safe throws. With Kaep he was not as accurate but took advantage of his legs, used one person deep almost every play, and shortened the field by doing clusters and paired reads. He also had motions put in to help Kaep read if it was man or zone coverage a little better.

Loggains is doing nothing to help the team. Really I am let down by his "gameplanning" and adjustments.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Today was just a weird game.

They never had the ball and never really could get a rythem on offense. As soon as they were up they were going to run the ball.

I agree with throwing some quick throws on 1st down would help a lot.

The ToP is ridiculous. They had the ball over 17 minutes more than we did.

You should never win a game when your team has an offense scoring 3 points and have the ball more than a quarter less than the opponent.

But we did, so whatever. lol

35 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Very true, but Jim had a habit of keeping people off balance and putting his players in favorable positions. If Loggains did that I'd have little to complain about, but he is doing anything but that.

Harbaugh took advantage of Smith's accuracy in the short game, attacked all over the field, and ran levels and other concepts to let Smith make the safe throws. With Kaep he was not as accurate but took advantage of his legs, used one person deep almost every play, and shortened the field by doing clusters and paired reads. He also had motions put in to help Kaep read if it was man or zone coverage a little better.

Loggains is doing nothing to help the team. Really I am let down by his "gameplanning" and adjustments.

Speaking of Harbaugh I have always had reservations about him simply because of the amount of control he will want but if the D keeps playing like that then the idea Of Fangio being kept in place with Harbaugh brought in as HC would be a pretty outstanding team...offensively bring in Tim Devno as OC to coach the OL and you have continuity with the D and a new way forward offensively.

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Speaking of Harbaugh I have always had reservations about him simply because of the amount of control he will want but if the D keeps playing like that then the idea Of Fangio being kept in place with Harbaugh brought in as HC would be a pretty outstanding team...offensively bring in Tim Devno as OC to coach the OL and you have continuity with the D and a new way forward offensively.

Absolutely. And even if Fangio wants to move on then Donatell might want to step up to DC. Who has been around Fangio more than Donatell? With Fuller, Amukamara, Amos all playing the best ball of their careers and Jackson's rapid improvement he is clearly doing something right.

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Absolutely. And even if Fangio wants to move on then Donatell might want to step up to DC. Who has been around Fangio more than Donatell? With Fuller, Amukamara, Amos all playing the best ball of their careers and Jackson's rapid improvement he is clearly doing something right.

I love Donatell and have no idea how we have managed to keep him for this long...I would have no issue with him stepping up either.

Win is a win. Gonna take more on offense to win next week. Per brad Biggs, saints are an 8.5 point favorite which seems pretty strange to me. They should be favored at home but 8.5 points seems high. 4 or 5 sounds about right. The saints are probably on the same level as the bears but they have HFA. 

I only watched the first half.  The game is still on my DVR and I'm debating whether to watch the rest of it or not, since no one scores in the second half.   Our D was awesome.  Eddie Jackson, the first guy to have to defensive TDs of 75+yards in a game.  My only issue was kicking the FG.  We should have went for it, we likely score a TD and if we dont, Carolina starts on the 1 yard line, ad with our D playing the way it did, theres a good chance we would have gotten a safety.  Offense did enough, it was like watching Lovie coach.  Saints are next, that'll be a good game.

Can’t argue a win, but this isn’t sustainable. We’ve seen then Bears lose more of these games under Fox than they’ve won.

Scoring zero second half points is a hideously ugly trend, a big part of why the Bears have only won 11 games in the past three seasons, and a major reason why they’re not serious competitors in the NFC North.

Love the win and the defense was awesome today, but this game was incredibly frustrating. We should have won this game like 31-3. This neutered sham of an offense being put out there is an embarrassment. We got a 2 score lead in the first half against a QB who 2 years ago was the MVP and Fox was like “Well, that’s gonna have to be enough.” Are you kidding me? Play to win, or most times you won’t. We have no playcalling creativity at all. 7 passes? A typical conservative game plan probably calls for 7 passes a quarter. 7 passes in an entire game and we are Georgia Tech or Navy. It’s not like running the ball was working either - it really wasn’t. Our 3 points on offense today came only after a 70-yard pass with RAC. NONE OF THIS IS SUSTAINABLE. Hell our running game last week wasn’t that effective either. 230 yards is great but that’s 50 carries. Take away the 55 yard run in OT and now you’re talking about 3.5 ypc with 14 of the 50 runs having gone for 0 or negative yards. What we are doing on offense is not working at all. The wins these last 2 weeks are with smoke and mirrors. 

Where was Kendall Wright today? He’s our only actual WR. Did he play a single snap today? I don’t remember seeing him on the field. We couldn’t move the ball today because we didn’t really try to move the ball. We literally spent the final 40 minutes trying to run the clock out on a 14-0 game. You drafted Trubisky SECOND OVERALL! Let him play the GD game. How can he ever earn trust or actually grow if we aren’t letting him run a real offense? I’m not saying put in the Brees game plan but my God how about a balanced offense? Maybe a pass play called NOT in a low percentage 3rd and long situation? We called two first down passes today to my memory - one was the long pass to Cohen and the other a completion called back due to an illegal formation penalty. They let Jimmy frickin Clausen do more and he was a known bum with no future. If this is our offensive game plan the rest of the way then 3-4 is going to very quickly become 4-12 regardless of our scheduled opponents.

Mitch is saying all the right things in his postgame pressers but you can see that he’s getting frustrated. He was asked today about only throwing 7 times and he took a long time before answering the question. Only time he paused before answering. Clearly seems like he is not saying what he was thinking. 

Archived