2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Kiper just tabbed Watson to GB @ 22 in his 4th ESPN mock.

I was looking at the all-time best RAS scores for WRs. These are the guys that scored higher than Christian Watson all-time

1) Calvin Johnson* (10 RAS, 6'5" 239, 4.35 40, 1.52 10yd split, 42.5" vert, 139" broad)
2) Chase Claypool* (9.99 RAS, 6'4" 238, 4.42 40, 1.56 10yd split, 40.5" vert, 126" broad)
3) Javon Walker (9.98 RAS, 6'3" 210, 4.35 40, 1.50 10yd split, 4.05 shuttle, 6.86 3 cone, 39.5" vert, 128" broad)
4) Andre Johnson* (9.98 RAS, 6'2" 230, 4.41 40, 4.10 shuttle, 39" vert, 132" broad)
5) Vincent Jackson* (9.97 RAS, 6'5" 241, 4.51 40, 1.57 10yd split, 4.00 shuttle, 39" vert, 129" broad)
6) Roy Hall (9.97 RAS, 6'2" 229, 4.41 40, 1.50 10yd split, 4.13 shuttle, 6.65 3 cone, 37.5" vert, 123" broad)
7) Julio Jones (9.97 RAS, 6'3" 220, 4.34 40, 1.50 10yd split, 4.25 shuttle, 6.66 3 cone, 38.5" vert, 135" broad)

Christian Watson (9.96 RAS, 6'4" 208, 4.36 40, 1.45 10yd split, 4.19 shuttle, 6.96 3 cone, 38.5" vert, 136" broad)

* Calvin Johnson and Claypool didn't do shuttle or 3 cone, so they may not have finished higher than Watson if they completed all of the drills.
* Andre Johnson and Jackson didn't do 3 cone.

Note: I'm not including Joe Webb (college QB), Matt Jones (college QB), and Moritz Boehringer (who knows what he was) because they had little to no experience playing WR.

That's some good company.

Edited by TheEagle

4 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I was looking at the all-time best RAS scores for WRs. These are the guys that scored higher than Christian Watson all-time

1) Calvin Johnson* (10 RAS, 6'5" 239, 4.35 40, 1.52 10yd split, 42.5" vert, 139" broad)
2) Chase Claypool* (9.99 RAS, 6'4" 238, 4.42 40, 1.56 10yd split, 40.5" vert, 126" broad)
3) Javon Walker (9.98 RAS, 6'3" 210, 4.35 40, 1.50 10yd split, 4.05 shuttle, 6.86 3 cone, 39.5" vert, 128" broad)
4) Andre Johnson* (9.98 RAS, 6'2" 230, 4.41 40, 4.10 shuttle, 39" vert, 132" broad)
5) Vincent Jackson* (9.97 RAS, 6'5" 241, 4.51 40, 1.57 10yd split, 4.00 shuttle, 39" vert, 129" broad)
6) Roy Hall (9.97 RAS, 6'2" 229, 4.41 40, 1.50 10yd split, 4.13 shuttle, 6.65 3 cone, 37.5" vert, 123" broad)
7) Julio Jones (9.97 RAS, 6'3" 220, 4.34 40, 1.50 10yd split, 4.25 shuttle, 6.66 3 cone, 38.5" vert, 135" broad)

Christian Watson (9.96 RAS, 6'4" 208, 4.36 40, 1.45 10yd split, 4.19 shuttle, 6.96 3 cone, 38.5" vert, 136" broad)

* Calvin Johnson and Claypool didn't do shuttle or 3 cone, so they may not have finished higher than Watson if they completed all of the drills.
* Andre Johnson and Jackson didn't do 3 cone.

Note: I'm not including Joe Webb (college QB), Matt Jones (college QB), and Moritz Boehringer (who knows what he was) because they had little to no experience playing WR.

That's some good company.

It's because of Watson's RAS + losing both Adams and MVS that I could see the Packers taking two WR's in round 1. I'm not predicting they will, just that one could see it--you grab Watson at #22 for the high ceiling of what he could become but is far from there yet and you grab a higher floor guy like Pickens at #28 for what he might be now and into the nearer future. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I think it would be more like moving up from 22 to get to the mid teens.  maybe ahead of PHI for a WR.  Then down from 28 into the late 30's or early 40's

22 + 53 gets you to 13/14 (HOU/BAL)

down from 28 for a 2 and 3rd (ATL 43 and 74)

I just can't envision Gute breaking about a dozen different tendencies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R T said:

There a strong likelihood that Gutes packages 2 of their top 4 pick to trade up for what he thinks is a blue chip player. Would not be surprising if it is both 1st rounders that are traded.    

I really don't think it's likely.  The true blue chip players are going to be LONG gone.  Even when Gute traded up to select Jaire Alexander, he only effectively gave up their 3rd round to do so.  That's a FAR cry from dealing a SRP on top of their FRP.  I think it'd have to be a truly special player for that to even be a consideration.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I really don't think it's likely.  The true blue chip players are going to be LONG gone.  Even when Gute traded up to select Jaire Alexander, he only effectively gave up their 3rd round to do so.  That's a FAR cry from dealing a SRP on top of their FRP.  I think it'd have to be a truly special player for that to even be a consideration.

The trade I most expect, is for the Packers to trade their 53 and 92 picks for pick 41 or 42 (Seattle or Indy). Moving up high in round two seems likely to sit right in the middle of a WR run that I think comes between picks 28 and the (now traded) pick 53.

Are picks 22, 28, 41, 59 better than the 22, 28, 53, 59, 92, selections ? I think that this year, they might be. This runs counter to the idea that this draft is very deep (so surely more picks are better)..................but the top of round two will have some very good players to choose from. Of course the kicker is that you find a willing trade partner at the right point in the draft, but since Seattle have back to back picks at 40, 41, they could be amenable to spread those picks a little......and Seattle does need a LOT of help, so an extra third rounder could well be attractive to them.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

8 hours ago, R T said:

You're warm. 

You might be thinking Walker, but I have to say, if the Packers traded up, the guy I'd be looking at is Kyle Hamilton. Like Walker, he's 21 (just turned last month) and I just see that guy being a force in the middle of our defense with his size/speed combination.

• Alexander trade up (with Seattle):

Gave up #27th 1st round, #76th 3rd round and #186th 6th round for
#18 1st round and #248 7th round.

• Savage trade up (with Seattle):

Gave up #30th 1st round, #114 and #118 4th round for
#21 1st round

• Love trade up (with Miami):

Gave up #30th 1st round and #136 4th round for
#26th 1st round

What can be gleaned from this? obviously the bigger the jump the more draft picks we have to give up. Gute has no problems giving up 3rd & 4th rounders to make the move. The fact we have an additional 4th round pick this year means we do have the ammo to make a trade up. Gute target range is in the late teens/early twenties but he doesn't really need to do it this year because we have #22.

I reckon we will just stay put or trade down from #28

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Are the stars lining up...... :)

Zach Kruse -  North Dakota State WR Christian Watson has visited the Green Bay Packers, per Tony Pauline.

Not surpised at all. I thought there were three WRs that fitted what LaFleur/Gute wanted. Pickins, Burks and Watson fitted that profile and no surprised we brought all three in.

My Final WR Rankings:

Tier 1:

#1 Jameson Williams Alabama: He has rare explosion and acceleration, the kind usually saved for guys 5'8, but he's 6'2.
#2 Chris Olave Ohio State: Evertything he does is just smooth, Marvin Harrison-esque.
#3 Treylon Burks Arkansas: fast, long, a bull after the catch, just polish him up on route running and you have a stud.
#4 George Pickens Georgia: Competes, elite body control and ball skills, H/W/S
#5 Garrett Wilson Ohio State: Gumby like agility, not as technical as Olave, looked really unnatural catching at times.

Tier 2: 

#6 Drake London USC: Huge catch radius, but concentration drops, doesn't separate.
#7 Jahan Dotson PSU: Can he play outside? Best ball skills in the draft, but press coverage eats him up.
#8: Christian Watson ND State: More athlete than receiver right now, but highest ceiling of any of these guys

Tier 3: 

#7 Skyy Moore Western Michigan: Huge production, good at everything, great at nothing, size keeps him out of tier 2.
#8 Alec Pierce Cincinnati: Vertical burner, unrefined everywhere else, high ceiling if he can become a route runner. 

Tier 4: 

#9 John Metchie Alabama: Productive slot, would be fringe tier 2/3 if healthy and could play outside. Best slot only prospect.
#10 David Bell Purdue: Love the tape, testing numbers say he's below fringe. Still worth a shot in rd 3-4.  
#11 Jalen Tolbert South Alabama: Older prospect drops him down a bit, another vertical threat, not the athlete Piece is. 
#12 Khalil Shakur Boise State: Great ball skills, nice YAC player, just can't see him ever winning outside
#13 Calvin Austin Memphis: Explosive gadget and ST return type. 

Tier 5: 

#14 Samari Toure Nebraska: Produced everywhere, plus athlete, potential day 3 steal, bit too old to be tier 4. 
#15 Bo Melton Rutgers: Another potential day 3 steal, Melton chose to stay close to home at Rutgers, might have been a day 2 guy if he left.
#16 Romeo Doubs Nevada: One of the biggest fallers I've had, no helium in the post-season process
#17 Kyle Phillips UCLA: Going to play 8-10 years as a slot, just not an elite one. Amendola type.

Tier 6: (Fringe draftable guys, high priority FA's): Erik Ezukanma Texas Tech, Velus Jones Tenn, Tyquan Thornton Baylor, Danny Gray SMU, Justyn Ross Clemson, Kevin Austin Jr ND, Josh Johnson Tulsa, Tanner Connor Idaho State, Jalen Nailor MSU

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My Final WR Rankings:

Tier 1:

#1 Jameson Williams Alabama: He has rare explosion and acceleration, the kind usually saved for guys 5'8, but he's 6'2.
#2 Chris Olave Ohio State: Evertything he does is just smooth, Marvin Harrison-esque.
#3 Treylon Burks Arkansas: fast, long, a bull after the catch, just polish him up on route running and you have a stud.
#4 George Pickens Georgia: Competes, elite body control and ball skills, H/W/S
#5 Garrett Wilson Ohio State: Gumby like agility, not as technical as Olave, looked really unnatural catching at times.

Tier 2: 

#6 Drake London USC: Huge catch radius, but concentration drops, doesn't separate.
#7 Jahan Dotson PSU: Can he play outside? Best ball skills in the draft, but press coverage eats him up.
#8: Christian Watson ND State: More athlete than receiver right now, but highest ceiling of any of these guys

Tier 3: 

#7 Skyy Moore Western Michigan: Huge production, good at everything, great at nothing, size keeps him out of tier 2.
#8 Alec Pierce Cincinnati: Vertical burner, unrefined everywhere else, high ceiling if he can become a route runner. 

Tier 4: 

#9 John Metchie Alabama: Productive slot, would be fringe tier 2/3 if healthy and could play outside. Best slot only prospect.
#10 David Bell Purdue: Love the tape, testing numbers say he's below fringe. Still worth a shot in rd 3-4.  
#11 Jalen Tolbert South Alabama: Older prospect drops him down a bit, another vertical threat, not the athlete Piece is. 
#12 Khalil Shakur Boise State: Great ball skills, nice YAC player, just can't see him ever winning outside
#13 Calvin Austin Memphis: Explosive gadget and ST return type. 

Tier 5: 

#14 Samari Toure Nebraska: Produced everywhere, plus athlete, potential day 3 steal, bit too old to be tier 4. 
#15 Bo Melton Rutgers: Another potential day 3 steal, Melton chose to stay close to home at Rutgers, might have been a day 2 guy if he left.
#16 Romeo Doubs Nevada: One of the biggest fallers I've had, no helium in the post-season process
#17 Kyle Phillips UCLA: Going to play 8-10 years as a slot, just not an elite one. Amendola type.

Tier 6: (Fringe draftable guys, high priority FA's): Erik Ezukanma Texas Tech, Velus Jones Tenn, Tyquan Thornton Baylor, Danny Gray SMU, Justyn Ross Clemson, Kevin Austin Jr ND, Josh Johnson Tulsa, Tanner Connor Idaho State, Jalen Nailor MSU

David Bell = James Jones

18 minutes ago, Chili said:

Not surpised at all. I thought there were three WRs that fitted what LaFleur/Gute wanted. Pickins, Burks and Watson fitted that profile and no surprised we brought all three in.

Alright.....then get Pickens & Burk. Add in Mr. Metric and we'll be set :)

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Kiper just tabbed Watson to GB @ 22 in his 4th ESPN mock.

.........and Kollman (Bootleg football) along with 'Bengal' (a Bengals streamer and compulsive film-watcher) did a two round draft, alternating picks between them (which I am far more interested in, than Kiper).

Packers picks were WRs George Pickens and Skyy Moore, then DL Perrion Winfrey and ILB Quay Walker.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

.........and Kollman (Bootleg football) along with 'Bengal' (a Bengals streamer and compulsive film-watcher) did a two round draft, alternating picks between them (which I am far more interested in, than Kiper).

Packers picks were WRs George Pickens and Skyy Moore, then DL Perrion Winfrey and ILB Quay Walker.

I'd be OK with this. If we could score an EDGE rusher instead of Walker all the better but like him as a player.

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I could finally get back to sleeping at night :)