2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

I think a good way to organize one's thoughts on WRs is that there are basically three types:
- Chain Movers
- Red Zone Weapons
- Big Play Guys

So the question one should look for is "what roles can the guys we have fill" and "what roles would they be looking to fill in the draft" (and subsequently what can each draft prospect do.)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The most likely trade I think is in case there's a guy they like extra best most that moving from 22 to Philly's 2nd first at 16 could be done for like a 3rd plus change, since Philly might not want to make three FRPs including back-to-back ones.

That's probably the most the Packers are moving up.  I mean, I guess I could see a situation where they move up from the Raiders' FRP with one of their SRPs, but that would be more then they've paid to trade up.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

After the Adams trade, the Packers vaulted up the Draft Capital rankings, from 24th most to # 9th most in the league

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

The Packers can consider packaging picks and moving up into rare air IF they are so inclined.

Here's the updated Draft Trade Chart if you want to play around with moving up/back

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=gb

If you combine # 22 and # 28, you can get up as high as pick # 8 overall, if you have a willing trade partner
You can also move back with # 28 and dominate the money round ( 2nd round)

Also kind of ironic that the Draft is being held in Vegas this year...and the Packers have Vegas' top picks

Raiders fans that were hyped to see the draft are feeling shafted lol

16 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

Raiders fans that were hyped to see the draft are feeling shafted lol

And GB draft nerds just had a collective “release”. This was always going to be a definitive off season for Gute, but with the draft capital he has now, he’d better knock this one out of the park. Balancing the short and midterm make up of this team just got a whole lot more interesting.  

Edited by Refugee

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just another example of why this guy is THE guy. He's plug and play the best WR on our team right now.

Yup we will probably need to move up to get him. But Olave is that guy. 

I like his teammate Wilson as well but Olave is overall a better player IMO. The crazy part is the other Ohio St WR Smith-Njigba who is still in school is better than both Olave and Wilson. What’s even crazier is Jameson Williams used to be a Buckeye before he transferred to Bama. So Ohio St had 4 First Round talent WRs on their team at once. Crazy. 

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just another example of why this guy is THE guy. He's plug and play the best WR on our team right now.

Not arguing against him being the best we've had right now.

Am saying there were 8 in the box with 2 WR's and a single high safety.  Of course the DB was going to defend the deep ball.

This really isn't a high end route against a difficult defense to read.  Obviously the route is run really, really well and he showed great sideline awareness.

I'd be more excited if this was against a cover two and he had to run a route at the right depth to get behind a corner, but in front of a safety with a LB lurking in the middle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not arguing against him being the best we've had right now.

Am saying there were 8 in the box with 2 WR's and a single high safety.  Of course the DB was going to defend the deep ball.

This really isn't a high end route against a difficult defense to read.  Obviously the route is run really, really well and he showed great sideline awareness.

I'd be more excited if this was against a cover two and he had to run a route at the right depth to get behind a corner, but in front of a safety with a LB lurking in the middle.

Olave is it for me because he's smooth af. That's the stuff you really can't teach. You either have that feel for route running or you don't. Adams had it and once he fixed the other stuff, he became great. Jefferson is another example of just a smooth player. 

Conversely a guy can run 4.3 in shorts in a straight line but never be a great WR if he can't run routes. 

Only real knock on Olave is his overall size/strength, but if he was perfect, he'd go in the top 10.

52 minutes ago, Refugee said:

And GB draft nerds just had a collective “release”. This was always going to be a definitive off season for Gute, but with the draft capital he has now, he’d better knock this one out of the park. Balancing the short and midterm make up of this team just got a whole lot more interesting.  

There are at least 2 full rounds of terrific talent in this draft. Figuring out which athletes can actually play football in the NFL is always the trick. Seems a deep class at WR, EDGE and DB to me. QB class is awful which is good for us because desperate teams are going to reach for one anyway. 

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

If it's an ACL I'd still use a second rounder. Dude is talented.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  Redshirt his rookie year.

Just saw a video of it and it wasn't a knee. He was grabbing his ankle but could tell if it was his Achilles or ankle. For Ojabo's sake, I hope it was an ankle. Even a clean break of his ankle would be better than ligament damage IMO, but I'm no doctor. 

VIDEO:

Michigan edge-rusher prospect David Ojabo injured at pro day (nfl.com)

Edited by Old Guy

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Olave is it for me because he's smooth af. That's the stuff you really can't teach. You either have that feel for route running or you don't. Adams had it and once he fixed the other stuff, he became great. Jefferson is another example of just a smooth player. 

Conversely a guy can run 4.3 in shorts in a straight line but never be a great WR if he can't run routes. 

Only real knock on Olave is his overall size/strength, but if he was perfect, he'd go in the top 10.

Not arguing against anything you are saying.

Am saying that the clip is nothing overly special.  Dude ran a go/stop on 1:1 coverage when the free safety was in the middle of the field.  MVS should have been catching 2 of those a game every game he laced up his cleats.

Nothing against Olave at all.  I read that he is "smooth" and that he is a "great route runner".   Just wished the clip was a route against a more complicated defense.  The most impressive thing on that play to me was that the QB had the time to get the ball away and put it on the right spot against that 5 man front and 8 man box.

That being said, he was the #1 option.  All the QB had to do is 1) Not get killed by the front  2) Read the safety.  3) Throw on the run.

The other WR is running a deep in to keep the safety occupied.  All Olave had to do was sell the vertical and stop.  Which he did to perfection.

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The name I haven't heard a lot of Packers fans talk about, which is strange to me since he seems to fit perfectly, is George Pickens.

A favorite of mine personally. Definitely a great talent and a great fit. Had a legit argument for being the #1 WR prior to injury. Hoping he's there at 53.

People should like this....

Edited by wgbeethree