2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Hard to imagine that it’s already that time of year again where I have to point out that, with the way things work these days, if you’re not taking a QB in the top 12ish picks, you’re almost certainly not getting a good one. 

Very true but there might not be one there that we can maximize. But then again we could always get lucky but it’s def way early I’m sure these guys some will for sure emerge especially in interviews and things of that nature

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Hard to imagine that it’s already that time of year again where I have to point out that, with the way things work these days, if you’re not taking a QB in the top 12ish picks, you’re almost certainly not getting a good one. 

We've tried to explain being in and out of position for a QB, but yet our cries go unheeded.

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

… after round 1??

Also, as we’ve discussed before it doesn’t mean you don’t try. Not drafting a QB from pick 16-250 just because you’re not likely to find a good one, doesn’t seem like a very good strategy. 

The truth is that right now, it looks like there’s only 1 QB worthy of taking in the top 10 of the draft and that’s Matt Corral. Seeing as Phila needs a QB and has a plethora of 1st round picks, presumably they will trade up with the Jags to take Corral.

So, I guess we could reach for a QB who’s not worthy of being a top 10 pick to make you & your theory happy but that doesn’t seem like a good strategy.

We can’t help that this looks like a bad year for prospects at the QB position, but not taking one in round 2 or 3 to develop just bc they most likely will only ever be a good back up seems like a bad strategy.

Edited by turtle28

I’m sure my take on this will be as welcomed as my Mond takes but I have a ton of notes and time on Kenny Pickett from Pitt and this guy can spin the ball. He trusts his guys to make plays and he has the mobility factor but he moves to throw. I actually see poise and I really think this guy is being slept on currently. No he’s not a top 10 with what he’s done because he has been bench for reasons I have never actually looked up. But when on the field this guy has the tools and Pitt always looks like a contender even last year I was high on Pitt when he was in control

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We can’t help that this looks like a bad year for prospects at the QB position, but not taking one in round 2 or 3 to develop just bc they most likely will only ever be a good back up seems like a bad strategy.

But when would they develop?

In all likelihood, barring a complete and total collapse or major injury, Heinicke is likely going to be the #1 QB, and Kyle Allen the #2. If they bring back Fitzpatrick as a backup/insurance (or some other journeyman vet), said draftee is 4th on the depth chart. Even if they don't bring in a vet, the rook is likely third.

So, you have to expect his first year to be basically a "sit and watch" year. 25% of his contract is gone.

Okay, sophomore season? Well, if Heinicke has shown himself to just be a stellar backup, he's probably gone, but even if he leaves, Kyle Allen is still around. Now, to be fair, Allen would almost assuredly be on a a short leash contract (he would have just hit his fourth season) so it would be a smallish contract akin to what Heinicke got this offseason. So, maybe there is a chance? Call it 50/50, maybe 65/35 against given Rivera's interest in Allen.

So, let's say Allen doesn't pan out either, it's rookie time right? Maybe. Or maybe Rivera got fired and the new head coach wants "his" guy.

There's a reason why non-top half QBs basically get one shot. There's always something shinier down the line. If you can take advantage of it (Wilson, Brady, Prescott, Bulger, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc.), great! But you get one shot. Philadelphia is seeing what they had in Jalen Hurts and now we're talking about them drafting a QB with one of their picks. Hurts got his shot, and it hasn't panned out, so he's probably not going to get another one with them barring injury.

It's just the way of things.

Sure, you might find a Brady or a Prescott late, but more likely you find a Matt Flynn or a Sage Rosenfels.

I was reading about Carson Strong who had a very bad knee injury in high school. I read that they drain it, accumulates fluid and blood. 
Evidently, Strong had a significant, if not major, knee injury in high school. It’s something that’s going to have to be inspected closely when he enters the NFL Draft. And some people think it could be a problem. It could be a red flag.”

Not something I think we need when we’re looking for our long term QB. 

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m sure my take on this will be as welcomed as my Mond takes but I have a ton of notes and time on Kenny Pickett from Pitt and this guy can spin the ball. He trusts his guys to make plays and he has the mobility factor but he moves to throw. I actually see poise and I really think this guy is being slept on currently. No he’s not a top 10 with what he’s done because he has been bench for reasons I have never actually looked up. But when on the field this guy has the tools and Pitt always looks like a contender even last year I was high on Pitt when he was in control

I was just going to come in here to talk about Pickett too! He also seems like a guy we could take in round 2 or maybe 3 like the other guys we mentioned before to see if we food develop him into a starter. The one issue with Pickett is he’s a redshirt senior, he’s 23 now & will be 24 in June.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I was just going to come in here to talk about Pickett too! He also seems like a guy we could take in round 2 or maybe 3 like the other guys we mentioned before to see if we food develop him into a starter. The one issue with Pickett is he’s a redshirt senior, he’s 23 now & will be 24 in June.

I’d really rather not just throw 2nd or 3rd round pick into the trash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’d really rather not just throw 2nd or 3rd round pick into the trash. 

We’re going to need a young QB on this roster to develop. We shouldn’t reach for some of these guys in the top 10 bc they’re not worth it. I could see a trade down & take a QB in the teens or 20s after we trade back or we could take another position who will start right away in the top 10 and take a QB to develop in round 2 or 3. At worst that guys a back up for us and he’s always a play away from being our starter.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, Woz said:

But when would they develop?

In all likelihood, barring a complete and total collapse or major injury, Heinicke is likely going to be the #1 QB, and Kyle Allen the #2. If they bring back Fitzpatrick as a backup/insurance (or some other journeyman vet), said draftee is 4th on the depth chart. Even if they don't bring in a vet, the rook is likely third.

So, you have to expect his first year to be basically a "sit and watch" year. 25% of his contract is gone.

Okay, sophomore season? Well, if Heinicke has shown himself to just be a stellar backup, he's probably gone, but even if he leaves, Kyle Allen is still around. Now, to be fair, Allen would almost assuredly be on a a short leash contract (he would have just hit his fourth season) so it would be a smallish contract akin to what Heinicke got this offseason. So, maybe there is a chance? Call it 50/50, maybe 65/35 against given Rivera's interest in Allen.

So, let's say Allen doesn't pan out either, it's rookie time right? Maybe. Or maybe Rivera got fired and the new head coach wants "his" guy.

There's a reason why non-top half QBs basically get one shot. There's always something shinier down the line. If you can take advantage of it (Wilson, Brady, Prescott, Bulger, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc.), great! But you get one shot. Philadelphia is seeing what they had in Jalen Hurts and now we're talking about them drafting a QB with one of their picks. Hurts got his shot, and it hasn't panned out, so he's probably not going to get another one with them barring injury.

It's just the way of things.

Sure, you might find a Brady or a Prescott late, but more likely you find a Matt Flynn or a Sage Rosenfels.

I have no problem with a QB we take after round 1, whether that be round 2 or all the way down to round 6 or 7 sitting and watching behind Heinicke & Allen or Heinicke & another veteran Rivera & the Marty’s bring in that they think could beat Heinicke out - I’d rather that guy not be Fitzpatrick bc he’s going to be 40.

I’d certainly chose re-signing Kyle Allen to compete w/ Heinicke & a rookie for the starting job over re-signing Fitz again.

Who knows that rookie we draft after round 1 may develop into a Kirk type QB after sitting and developing for 2 or 3 years. Even if he doesn’t & he’s just a back up, that’s fine with me too. I don’t see it as a wasted pick, bringing in a rookie QB to develop is never a wasted pick IMO.

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You have no idea whether or not it’s the wrong QB when making the pick though

True, but you don’t force taking a QB in the top 10 when he’s not close to the best prospect on the board. Instead you take a different position & take QB in round 2 or later, or trade down and take the QB where he should be taken on your big board.