2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

57 minutes ago, Woz said:

Sometimes positional need trumps overall value. Doesn't mean reach for a guy, but you have to at least consider roster composition.

In understand but at this point it’s my opinion that taking Ridder, Willis or Howell in the top 15 is a reach.

56 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Love him mentally!!! Love him athletically. I want to see him in the playoffs to get the best tape I can. I don’t think he’s elite. But he is super smart and that team plays for him and the threat of his legs really opens up the run. He makes the OL look good with his decision making. I know Corral has the hype but Ridder is the one quietly doing his thing and I bet when he gets into interviews some team will fall in love. If Ridder was picked here I’d be excited.

I like him a lot, I’m very concerned about his accuracy. It feels like to me he should be taken in the teens or 20s, same with Willis & Howell. I think all 3 are a reach if you’re taking them in the top 15. It’d be much better to take the BPA with our top 10 pick and then take a QB in round 2 or trade back into round 1 to take a QB in the 2nd half of the 1st like we did in 2019 w/ Sweat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I like him a lot, I’m very concerned about his accuracy. It feels like to me he should be taken in the teens or 20s, same with Willis & Howell. I think all 3 are a reach if you’re taking them in the top 15. It’d be much better to take the BPA with our top 10 pick and then take a QB in round 2 or trade back into round 1 to take a QB in the 2nd half of the 1st like we did in 2019 w/ Sweat.

His accuracy is very similar to Haskins it’s always where are his feet in sync with his throw. He doesn’t have the cannon so when his feet aren’t right his accuracy def suffers. I love the traits. I think he’s a gamer. I’d take him over Howell and Willis today. Luckily it’s still early

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

His accuracy is very similar to Haskins it’s always where are his feet in sync with his throw. He doesn’t have the cannon so when his feet aren’t right his accuracy def suffers. I love the traits. I think he’s a gamer. I’d take him over Howell and Willis today. Luckily it’s still early

Accuracy similar to Haskins?? I didn’t think about that comp, Major red flag. That being said Ridder is an off schedule guy too so that will help him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Accuracy similar to Haskins?? I didn’t think about that comp, Major red flag. That being said Ridder is an off schedule guy too so that will help him.

No I think he is better though in college they both check down a ton!!! But the comp is really just in the mechanical dept. when I see him Miss it starts in his base and his feet are never squared he’s always off balance from the ground up for his mechanics. Haskins had a cannon and forced a lot more then Ridder. But when they miss it’s a similar glitch in where their feet are to when they start to wind up and release their off platform almost.

That Cincy team is loaded. I worry Ridder leads them very well but he isn’t carrying the load he’s riding with the pieces. I like what I see I think he’s just almost more system then franchise guy

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

No I think he is better though in college they both check down a ton!!! But the comp is really just in the mechanical dept. when I see him Miss it starts in his base and his feet are never squared he’s always off balance from the ground up for his mechanics. Haskins had a cannon and forced a lot more then Ridder. But when they miss it’s a similar glitch in where their feet are to when they start to wind up and release their off platform almost.

That Cincy team is loaded. I worry Ridder leads them very well but he isn’t carrying the load he’s riding with the pieces. I like what I see I think he’s just almost more system then franchise guy

I’m with you, I feel the same.

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

In understand but at this point it’s my opinion that taking Ridder, Willis or Howell in the top 15 is a reach.

And I will defer to all of you who pay way more attention to college football than I. At the same time, unless they go all in for a Rodgers or Watson, they are going to be in the same position after 2022 as they find themselves now.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

And I will defer to all of you who pay way more attention to college football than I. At the same time, unless they go all in for a Rodgers or Watson, they are going to be in the same position after 2022 as they find themselves now.

Well yes and no. Developing talent and them flashing is improving. The best case for this team is to build a roster develop it and when it’s ready make the move. We eventually have to identify our guy in the next year or two fits best to address the players you want here around them to compete with. If Ron was promised 5 he has to make the move really by the 4th haul. That’s looking like the Bryce young class. I wish it was the Caleb Williams year. The class coming up we would do very well to identify one of the two most important positions and dive into the strength of this class which is DB and OL and WR.

There are good LB’s and TE’s as well. But they have to think about more then this class. They need to do like the chiefs. They knew a year before Mahomes was coming out that’s who they were taking. They had their pieces and they got even more that specifically fit his strengths and maybe didn’t fit what they were running ahead of time and built the right way. So if their guy is this year or next okay.

But you have to be all in and make sure whatever you do you make this class compliment your vision for your plan to take that guy. if you know your moving up you acquire as many future assets this offseason for that move. We have to come away seeing something thought out by the time the draft is over. If we are doing another rental year okay. But if we don’t get our QB in this class then we had better of drafted either Hamilton Stingley or the best LT avalible and found future selections based off players were moving currently on the roster they aren’t envisioning here in the future.

• Like 1

I think a lot of things point to Malik Willis right now. Plays at a local school, is a dual threat QB that the coaching staff would prefer and his Uncle James Anderson played for Ron with the Panthers. It looks like he is a first round pick according to consensus, but its still early and I haven't been following it that much. 

• Like 1

Just now, taylor made said:

I think a lot of things point to Malik Willis right now. Plays at a local school, is a dual threat QB that the coaching staff would prefer and his Uncle James Anderson played for Ron with the Panthers. It looks like he is a first round pick according to consensus, but its still early and I haven't been following it that much. 

He’s electric. The thing that worry’s me is while I don’t like the coaches play calling with Willis because they could do so much more with him. That said he has top pick traits. But he is behind Lamar as a passer and that’s a hard thing your really taking a gamble on because that really requires a plan for when to start him and how to use him to keep his confidence but also give him things to allow his development. 
a Good staff in this league should take one look at Willis and say with this plan we have we can win year 3-5 with this guys skill set. He’s electric and very patient for a position quickness and instincts usually take over at. But he has a long way to go. I’d love to see Willis and AG and JD or the Texas RB in the same backfield. We could do a ton of things with a modern offensive gameplan with pistol and split backs and with the defense I believe will be fixed by next year we would have a chance to grow. But if Willis is the guy we better somehow trade futures for a top level LT because if the put him out too early we will kill him with what we currently have on OL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, taylor made said:

The knock for me on Willis will be answered against Ole Miss. will he elevate or is he just the best player beating up on lower level talent because growing as a passer takes time ex; Josh Allen and Lamar. He is gifted on their levels!!! His growth will require a level of dedication he will show he can reach to keep up with Ole Miss and Coral. He either elevates or he just relays on his gifts. We will see in a few weeks

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Woz said:

Which is why I say draft a QB to develop, but don’t reach for one in the top 10.

51 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Well yes and no. Developing talent and them flashing is improving. The best case for this team is to build a roster develop it and when it’s ready make the move. We eventually have to identify our guy in the next year or two fits best to address the players you want here around them to compete with. If Ron was promised 5 he has to make the move really by the 4th haul. That’s looking like the Bryce young class. I wish it was the Caleb Williams year.

The major flaw with this plan is if the current coaching staff continues to get this level of performance from the players right now, they likely will become an ex coaching staff.

The lack of quality tackling, the gaping holes in the zones, the constant playing of veterans over better, younger players ... all of these is going to lead them to getting fired if they don't get lucky again.

Remember, Ron Rivera's record as the head coach of Washington now sits at 9-13 (0.409). The "change the culture" attitude plus deflection from the scandals probably buys him a third year (and maybe a fourth), but the runway isn't infinite. 

51 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

The class coming up we would do very well to identify one of the two most important positions and dive into the strength of this class which is DB and OL and WR.

There are good LB’s and TE’s as well. But they have to think about more then this class. They need to do like the chiefs. They knew a year before Mahomes was coming out that’s who they were taking. They had their pieces and they got even more that specifically fit his strengths and maybe didn’t fit what they were running ahead of time and built the right way. So if their guy is this year or next okay.

I will take your word on this. I am not saying they have to take a QB, especially if the need x value x position equation says to go for other candidates.

But at some point, they have to address it longer term.

56 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But you have to be all in and make sure whatever you do you make this class compliment your vision for your plan to take that guy. if you know your moving up you acquire as many future assets this offseason for that move. We have to come away seeing something thought out by the time the draft is over. If we are doing another rental year okay. But if we don’t get our QB in this class then we had better of drafted either Hamilton Stingley or the best LT avalible and found future selections based off players were moving currently on the roster they aren’t envisioning here in the future.

Completely agree.

I just don't think they'll prepare for this because they will be focused on winning the next week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Which is why I say draft a QB to develop, but don’t reach for one in the top 10.

Which is fine as long as you understand that they "perfect scenario" you are envisioning here rarely comes to fruition in the NFL.