2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

Let me paint a picture for you and this doesn’t even include missed picks only the players that ended up being halfway decent

2012: demario Davis, let him walk, got him back, let him walk again for nothing.

2013: Sheldon Richardson, traded.

2014: no one worth noting

2015: Leonard williams only solid player, traded for peanuts 

2016: no real difference makers. Got Robby as an UDFA and let him walk 

2017: Jamal adams, traded (which I do agree with) and Marcus maye (fans don’t want him resigned for the most part)

2018: no one really worth mentioning, fatusaki is ok we will see what happens with him.

2019: quinnen Williams. We have people in this thread saying we should just let him walk when his contract is up.

2020 and 2021 I would say the jury is still out at this point.

My point is that over the past decade we have drafted what 5 decent football players and let them all walk or traded them for more draft picks that ended up being busts. It’s a never ending cycle. The last half way decent football player we have drafted and held on to past their rookie deal was Brian winters in 2013 lmao. At a certain point you just have to pay the guys and keep them around or you will be rebuilding forever. If Berrios wants a little bit of money pay it. If quinnen wants his bread pay the man. It’s like we’re becoming a small market baseball team and any time we get a halfway decent player they have to get traded or let go because we won’t pay them.

Demario wasn’t good his first stint with us, he was good his second time around and should have been kept. 

Leo had to go as his contract was coming up and we weren’t paying him, the 3rd rounder was more than enough I’m pretty sure we got another pick as well. Robby one dimensional me first guy “vote me into the pro bowl” while we’re losing, Adams was a locker room headache me first player who didn’t care about anyone but himself he had to go “I was depressed in New York” yet he asked for a new contract, Sheldon had to go “f this game, where the hoes at?” Maye is good but injury prone and approaching 30. 

Quinnen has potential to be a dominate DT but he hasn’t got there yet and he’s going into year 4 now. At some point potential runs out and if he wants top DT money he’s gotta produce like it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they grab Travis Jones in the 3rd or 4th and try to develop him behind QWill who hasn’t lived up the #3 overall expectations. He’s far too nonexistent in games. 

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Demario wasn’t good his first stint with us, he was good his second time around and should have been kept. 

Leo had to go as his contract was coming up and we weren’t paying him, the 3rd rounder was more than enough I’m pretty sure we got another pick as well. Robby one dimensional me first guy “vote me into the pro bowl” while we’re losing, Adams was a locker room headache me first player who didn’t care about anyone but himself he had to go “I was depressed in New York” yet he asked for a new contract, Sheldon had to go “f this game, where the hoes at?” Maye is good but injury prone and approaching 30. 

Quinnen has potential to be a dominate DT but he hasn’t got there yet and he’s going into year 4 now. At some point potential runs out and if he wants top DT money he’s gotta produce like it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they grab Travis Jones in the 3rd or 4th and try to develop him behind QWill who hasn’t lived up the #3 overall expectations. He’s far too nonexistent in games. 

Yeah ashtyn Davis for Leonard williams great value there. Dude shouldn’t even be on a roster and Leonard is showing that he’s a great player. And before you say hindsight is 20/20 on ashtyn Davis being a bad draft pick that’s my point. The nfl draft is a crapshoot why would you trade a decent player who’s relatively young for a mid round draft pick that statistics show most likely will never provide even close to the same value. If another team is willing to pay quinnen a decent chunk of change then why in the hell would the jets not match it? Clearly the open market indicates value and our guys are “apparently” not worth it but then they go to another team and make us look stupid.

4 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Yeah ashtyn Davis for Leonard williams great value there. Dude shouldn’t even be on a roster and Leonard is showing that he’s a great player. And before you say hindsight is 20/20 on ashtyn Davis being a bad draft pick that’s my point. The nfl draft is a crapshoot why would you trade a decent player who’s relatively young for a mid round draft pick that statistics show most likely will never provide even close to the same value. If another team is willing to pay quinnen a decent chunk of change then why in the hell would the jets not match it? Clearly the open market indicates value and our guys are “apparently” not worth it but then they go to another team and make us look stupid.

The Jets didn’t trade Leonard Williams for Ashtyn Davis. We used the pick on Davis and as of now it’s a relatively incomplete trade. Davis is going into year 3 we’ll know for sure after this season but on the surface if he walks anyway we get nothing. 

The Jets traded a decent player because he was going to command more than decent player money you’re acting like Leonard Williams is the dominate force when he isn’t and wasn’t for us.

Which player besides Demario Davis has left us and make us look as you say “stupid” 

Edited by KingOfNewYork

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

The Jets didn’t trade Leonard Williams for Ashtyn Davis. 

The Jets traded a decent player because he was going to command more than decent player money you’re acting like Leonard Williams is the dominate force when he isn’t and wasn’t for us.

Which player besides Demario Davis has left us and make us look as you say “stupid” 

So what other than the fact that he was a first round pick indicated that he was going to command “big” money? He didn’t even get his deal with the giants until after he had a monster season on the franchise tag.

Just now, Greene N White said:

So what other than the fact that he was a first round pick indicated that he was going to command “big” money? He didn’t even get his deal with the giants until after he had a monster season on the franchise tag.

Because when players hit the market you’re competing with other teams and prices typically rise. The Jets weren’t tagging him and his value was the highest it would have been. A 3rd round pick was a steal at the time and still is. Everyone here makes that deal 10/10 times.

Is this Leo’s burner?

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Because when players hit the market you’re competing with other teams and prices typically rise. The Jets weren’t tagging him and his value was the highest it would have been. A 3rd round pick was a steal at the time and still is. Everyone here makes that deal 10/10 times.

Is this Leo’s burner?

Seems like a losing business model to me in any industry. Let a key contributor go to a competitor at what the MARKET deems a reasonable price because you’re too cheap to pay it all while not having anyone to replace them. Then bring in a new guy to replace them using your time and assets to train them to fill in just to lose him to a competitor again. 

1 minute ago, Greene N White said:

Seems like a losing business model to me in any industry. Let a key contributor go to a competitor at what the MARKET deems a reasonable price because you’re too cheap to pay it all while not having anyone to replace them. Then bring in a new guy to replace them using your time and assets to train them to fill in just to lose him to a competitor again. 

What did Leo contribute to? He was a depreciating asset who was not part of our long term future. Like what are you even arguing?

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What did Leo contribute to? He was a depreciating asset who was not part of our long term future. Like what are you even arguing?

I’m arguing that what you’re preaching is just absolute insanity and it’s the mindset that helped get us into this mess. Why does Green Bay never lose their players to the open market? Because they’re not dumb. If they have a good player they will open their pockets and give them the money they’re worth. It’s not rocket science. It doesn’t matter if you were a 1st rd pick or an UDFA. If you are a key contributor on my team and playing good football I am willing to pay you what the market is saying you are worth so long as I have the cap space and don’t have to make other sacrifices which just hasn’t been the case in NY because no player has even played into a second contract and got paid because we just trade them for a ****ty draft pick.

Listen my man in any line of work as an employer if you have good employees you do what you can to retain them. If you have someone who’s contributing to your company a competitor takes notice and tries to poach them with 30% increase in pay are you letting them walk even though you have the funds to match this salary? No you aren’t. If they’re asking for 200% pay increase sure maybe you can’t afford it and have to let them walk. This was not the case.

11 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

I’m arguing that what you’re preaching is just absolute insanity and it’s the mindset that helped get us into this mess. Why does Green Bay never lose their players to the open market? Because they’re not dumb. If they have a good player they will open their pockets and give them the money they’re worth. It’s not rocket science. It doesn’t matter if you were a 1st rd pick or an UDFA. If you are a key contributor on my team and playing good football I am willing to pay you what the market is saying you are worth so long as I have the cap space and don’t have to make other sacrifices which just hasn’t been the case in NY because no player has even played into a second contract and got paid because we just trade them for a ****ty draft pick.

We got into this mess by drafting bad players, players at non premium positions and no investing our picks wisely. To judge Douglas for past regimes is insane. We aren’t Green Bay so again idk what your point is there.

Leonard Williams was not good for us. Period. We got a 3rd for him, might work out, might not we’ll see. 

You can’t just re-sign average players because you wanna keep players you drafted. You keep the great ones, cost efficient ones and move on from those where you can find better value.