2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No I’ve never once said trade Q. What I did say when we drafted him when we didn’t need him. Was that he was going to have to be an elite DT for me to ever like him. He’s far from elite. That by no means means I want to trade him though. But I also don’t think he deserves a big pay day with how his play is. If we can get an edge opposite Lawson, I think we can finally see what he can fully do. If he’s the same guy… then he doesn’t deserve a big pay day. He’s just an above average DT then.

Yeah you said let him walk after his rookie deal though. That’s my point of he’s an above average DT that’s an asset. How many above average players does this team even have? I really don’t think that he’s going to get a monster record breaking deal from any team.

2 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Yeah you said let him walk after his rookie deal though. That’s my point of he’s an above average DT that’s an asset. How many above average players does this team even have? I really don’t think that he’s going to get a monster record breaking deal from any team.

Yes I’ll say let him walk if he wants to be paid like he’s an elite DT. But if he has a reasonable asking price… then we should resign him. We still have him for at least 2 more years I’d imagine. So we have time. No decision has to be made now. But yes if his play is like It’s been so far and he wants elite money… yes I’d let him walk. If he’s really good and still wants elite money… we can always tag him and still think about it in 3 years 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

First, GB is $50M in the hole. They are going to lose a whole lotta something this year. Second, they do lose some players but will keep their most productive making their roster top heavy. That works when you have a HoF QB and a decent OL.  Blake Martinez is a good example of letting a decent player walk that did well on their new team (Giants).

The problem with the Jets is that they have not drafted anyone in a long time worth keeping around. I agree with you in that constantly letting players walk is a bad business model. But so is overpaying for mediocre production like Leo. Do you really believe Berrios is worth Randall Cobb money?  I like Q and I want him on this team for a long time. Unlike some others, I don’t let his draft status dictate whether he is good or not. I let his play do that. The question becomes what is going to be his asking price come contract time and does his production warrant that.

You brought up Robby. I wanted to keep him. I believe it was a matter of like $2M that prevented us from doing so. In hindsight it was a good move by JD because RA is not worth $16M in 2022. Had we replaced him with a more productive WR you would probably not have brought up his name. It is also important to replace players with more productive players or at least equal production for lower cost which has also been a problem for this team.

Lastly, let’s not forget JFM. Let’s see if his extension is worth it. I liked the move at the time. Let’s see if his $12.5M is worth it in 2022. I hope that does not prevent JD from drafting an EDGE just because we have JFM and Lawson.

Very logical post . Appreciate you bringing this insight. I agree with the Blake Martinez comment I just do think for the most part the team had been exceptional at keeping their players around even if they overpay a little bit and I think we’d take 50mil in the whole after decades of success it’s bound to catch up to you eventually. I think the main problem I have with not “overpaying” for mediocrity in our current state is that we don’t even use the money elsewhere we just let it sit which makes no sense. I think being conservative with your money in that sense can be beneficial when you’re not in a position to win but when you’re not bringing in other assets with that money it’s just going to waste and you’re going to consistently field a poor team. I get the team has been bad but my hope is that if they ever do string together a couple good draft classes they will keep these guys even if it means slightly overpaying. If we don’t we’ll just continue to lose them.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes I’ll say let him walk if he wants to be paid like he’s an elite DT. But if he has a reasonable asking price… then we should resign him. We still have him for at least 2 more years I’d imagine. So we have time. No decision has to be made now. But yes if his play is like It’s been so far and he wants elite money… yes I’d let him walk. If he’s really good and still wants elite money… we can always tag him and still think about it in 3 years 

Exactly. We have 2 years and he’s a good player you can always use the franchise tag. I agree with not paying him 25 mil a year but like I said Aaron Donald doesn’t even make that much. If he wants top 10 money at the position that’s fine and I think we’d be foolish not to pay that as contracts are constantly increasing every year anyways. 

11 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Are the bills Fans saying the same thing about Ed Oliver? Probably not. They’re probably Wanting to pay the man his money when his contract is up. I think q would get a very similar contract to him maybe slightly more than him at this point.

Like pretty much all of us are saying it depends on price. No I highly doubt BUF is lining up to pay Oliver premium dollar. If he wants above average dollar yea they’ll pay him. But you don’t pay above average players big money. Q has been above average and that’s about it. So that’s what he should be paid. Happens every year. Berrios had a good year “for our standards” but dude didn’t even catch for 500yds and wants 9mill per. That’s a top 30 WR and he’s not that. So you don’t pay him that. You can’t just keep paying guys more than what they’re worth. Q is above average. So you don’t give him  even close to top dollar. Quite frankly unless his play big time rides he doesn’t deserve his 5th year option money being the 3rd pick. But he’s too young to not pick it up and see what happens. But he as of today won’t be worth that salary in year 5.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like pretty much all of us are saying it depends on price. No I highly doubt BUF is lining up to pay Oliver premium dollar. If he wants above average dollar yea they’ll pay him. But you don’t pay above average players big money. Q has been above average and that’s about it. So that’s what he should be paid. Happens every year. Berrios had a good year “for our standards” but dude didn’t even catch for 500yds and wants 9mill per. That’s a top 30 WR and he’s not that. So you don’t pay him that. You can’t just keep paying guys more than what they’re worth. Q is above average. So you don’t give him  even close to top dollar. Quite frankly unless his play big time rides he doesn’t deserve his 5th year option money being the 3rd pick. But he’s too young to not pick it up and see what happens. But he as of today won’t be worth that salary in year 5.

Berrios can want 9 all he wants but until another team offers it it’s just all talk imo. On the other hand bills are already planning to use their 5th year option on Ed Oliver who was drafted 9th in the same class and has arguably been less productive than q.

13 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Berrios can want 9 all he wants but until another team offers it it’s just all talk imo. On the other hand bills are already planning to use their 5th year option on Ed Oliver who was drafted 9th in the same class and has arguably been less productive than q.

His 5th year option is also cheaper bc of him being a later pick. Not by much but still less. Like is stated… I think we should exercise Qs 5th year option. But to date that salary he’ll get in 2023 he hasn’t deserved quite frankly. He just around Christmas turned 24… so there’s plenty of time for him. That’s a pro to drafting younger guys. For example I believe Jermaine Johnson in this draft is already 24 (or close to it). When you draft 20-21yr olds time is on your side. When you’re drafting older rookies you need them asap bc by the time the rookie contract is up… they’re nearly 30. Look at Marcus Maye for an example to this.

2 hours ago, Greene N White said:

I just don’t see why he would get 20-25 mil a year. Who’s going to pay that when the only guys making that much at the position are Donald, chris jones, and Buckner. Vita vea just got 17.5 and Kenny Clark is around there too. I know contracts get higher every year but using that a a baseline we shouldn’t have to pay any more than that.

If Q was a 3rd round pick not #3 overall he’d be lucky to get $10M. He’s living off of hype. 

2 hours ago, Greene N White said:

I think the main problem I have with not “overpaying” for mediocrity in our current state is that we don’t even use the money elsewhere we just let it sit which makes no sense.

We can’t let too much sit because there is also a cap floor. But in reality, the Jets had $14M in 2019, and $24M in 2020 (JD’s first year), and just $7M at the end of 2021. We will have $50M before cuts this year.  JD will spend the money but he is not going to foolishly waste it when this team is not ready to compete yet.

As of this year, there are 10 iDL making over $15M and only 4 making over $20M. That’s not a lot. Some of those names are highly productive in the stats column.  And remember the NFL is a results oriented business. There is no glory and big paydays for the DT that attracts double teams or the FB that opens holes.  How does Q stack up to those 10 guys?  You can be damned sure JD knows. When the time comes, and we do have time, Q will either be paid what is fair by JD based on Q’s production relative to other iDL’s or overpaid by another team.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If Q was a 3rd round pick not #3 overall he’d be lucky to get $10M. He’s living off of hype. 

He just turned 24 years old. Donald was 23 his ROOKIE year. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the next Donald but damn give him some time. He’s still a young player **** I was literally born 8 days before him.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

His 5th year option is also cheaper bc of him being a later pick. Not by much but still less. Like is stated… I think we should exercise Qs 5th year option. But to date that salary he’ll get in 2023 he hasn’t deserved quite frankly. He just around Christmas turned 24… so there’s plenty of time for him. That’s a pro to drafting younger guys. For example I believe Jermaine Johnson in this draft is already 24 (or close to it). When you draft 20-21yr olds time is on your side. When you’re drafting older rookies you need them asap bc by the time the rookie contract is up… they’re nearly 30. Look at Marcus Maye for an example to this.

5th year option practice ended after 2020 CBA.  No matter where in 1st round a player is taken price for 5th year option is based on performance level.

Jermaine Johnson turned 23 years old last month.

27 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

He just turned 24 years old. Donald was 23 his ROOKIE year. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the next Donald but damn give him some time. He’s still a young player **** I was literally born 8 days before him.

I have never said he's a bust.  I have a problem with how Jets fans and the media act like he's amazing.