2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

1 minute ago, Greene N White said:

Listen my man in any line of work as an employer if you have good employees you do what you can to retain them. If you have someone who’s contributing to your company a competitor takes notice and tries to poach them with 30% increase in pay are you letting them walk even though you have the funds to match this salary? No you aren’t. If they’re asking for 200% pay increase sure maybe you can’t afford it and have to let them walk. This was not the case.

Not your man. 

This isn’t corporate America.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

We got into this mess by drafting bad players, players at non premium positions and no investing our picks wisely. To judge Douglas for past regimes is insane. We aren’t Green Bay so again idk what your point is there.

Leonard Williams was not good for us. Period. We got a 3rd for him, might work out, might not we’ll see. 

You can’t just re-sign average players because you wanna keep players you drafted. You keep the great ones, cost efficient ones and move on from those where you can find better value.

If he wasn’t worth it then why did the giants deem him to be worthy of it?

I can say with absolute certainty that a 24 year old legit Nfl starting defensive lineman entering his prime will be more valuable than a 3rd round pick 95% of the time. And it’s not like he got a big contract right away he had to earn it playing on the franchise tag. If an nfl team continues to do this with all of their talent it is a never ending cycle and you will never win. 

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

You’re lacking a fundamental understanding of value. You’re hung up on these guys not living up to draft expectations. Draft position is no longer relevant 4 years into a players career. They are paid based on worth. 

Hey guys look at this. I have a lack of understanding of value. 

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

I can say with absolute certainty that a 24 year old legit Nfl starting defensive lineman entering his prime will be more valuable than a 3rd round pick 95% of the time. And it’s not like he got a big contract right away he had to earn it playing on the franchise tag. If an nfl team continues to do this with all of their talent it is a never ending cycle and you will never win. 

We never win anyway, signing Leonard freaking Williams wasn’t changing that. If you aren’t re-signing a guy then trade him.

Theres a difference between legit starting defensive tackle and what we need from Quinnen. He simply hasn’t given us that and if he prices himself out he’s gonna walk or get traded.

Edited by KingOfNewYork
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Hey guys look at this. I have a lack of understanding of value. 

You clearly need reassurance from your buddies on the forum it’s all good I could really care less you clearly dislike any opposition to what’s currently going on in the organization and don’t see it as a problem. I guess I’m the “new” guy despite creating this profile like 5 years ago lmao I rarely do comment on posts but after reading the quinnen williams take I just found it to be pretty funny. Keep going with this strategy of drafting talent and getting ****ty draft picks in return for it. I’m sure it would work out once in the next century. Not a single player on this team has gotten a 2nd contract since 2013 and if you don’t think that’s a problem that’s funny to me. We’ve drafted talent and just refused to keep it. The history speaks for itself. 

Draft a player, when they don’t quite live up to expectations but are still a solid player and their contract is up let another team take them without giving anything or for a 3rd-4th round draft pick. Rinse and repeat. Go into every offseason with multiple day 2/3 draft picks and the most cap space in the league. Seems like a fool proof plan.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We never win anyway, signing Leonard freaking Williams wasn’t changing that. If you aren’t re-signing a guy then trade him.

Theres a difference between legit starting defensive tackle and what we need from Quinnen. He simply hasn’t given us that and if he prices himself out he’s gonna walk or get traded.

“Prices himself out.” Oh so now quinnen williams decides how much he makes? I was under the impression that his price tag was based on how our 31 competitors value him. 

If Quinnen wants to sign for $10-15 then sure but he’s going to ask for $20-25 and for his lack of production and inconsistently that would be dumb. 

The good thing now is it looks like we can draft and develop so we shouldn’t have this issue. 3/4 of last years class should all see solid second contracts. Then this year with 4 in the top 2 rounds. 

Wouldn’t trade Q for a 4th but wouldn’t sign him to a monster deal. There should be an in between. 

8 hours ago, Greene N White said:

Why does Green Bay never lose their players to the open market

First, GB is $50M in the hole. They are going to lose a whole lotta something this year. Second, they do lose some players but will keep their most productive making their roster top heavy. That works when you have a HoF QB and a decent OL.  Blake Martinez is a good example of letting a decent player walk that did well on their new team (Giants).

The problem with the Jets is that they have not drafted anyone in a long time worth keeping around. I agree with you in that constantly letting players walk is a bad business model. But so is overpaying for mediocre production like Leo. Do you really believe Berrios is worth Randall Cobb money?  I like Q and I want him on this team for a long time. Unlike some others, I don’t let his draft status dictate whether he is good or not. I let his play do that. The question becomes what is going to be his asking price come contract time and does his production warrant that.

You brought up Robby. I wanted to keep him. I believe it was a matter of like $2M that prevented us from doing so. In hindsight it was a good move by JD because RA is not worth $16M in 2022. Had we replaced him with a more productive WR you would probably not have brought up his name. It is also important to replace players with more productive players or at least equal production for lower cost which has also been a problem for this team.

Lastly, let’s not forget JFM. Let’s see if his extension is worth it. I liked the move at the time. Let’s see if his $12.5M is worth it in 2022. I hope that does not prevent JD from drafting an EDGE just because we have JFM and Lawson.

One thing I forgot regarding Leo is that Mac had just drafted Q. He was supposed to be the younger, potentially better replacement for Leo. Had we kept Leo and Q, that would be a whole lotta $ tied up in DT. That may not be bad on a decent team, but not a rebuilding team. JD was going to tear this thing down to the studs and Leo was not going to be a part of that with Q around. Had Mac not drafted Q, Leo may have been retained.

10 hours ago, Greene N White said:

I mean you were one of the ones talking about it on the previous page. No?

No I’ve never once said trade Q. What I did say when we drafted him when we didn’t need him. Was that he was going to have to be an elite DT for me to ever like him. He’s far from elite. That by no means means I want to trade him though. But I also don’t think he deserves a big pay day with how his play is. If we can get an edge opposite Lawson, I think we can finally see what he can fully do. If he’s the same guy… then he doesn’t deserve a big pay day. He’s just an above average DT then.

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If Quinnen wants to sign for $10-15 then sure but he’s going to ask for $20-25 and for his lack of production and inconsistently that would be dumb. 

The good thing now is it looks like we can draft and develop so we shouldn’t have this issue. 3/4 of last years class should all see solid second contracts. Then this year with 4 in the top 2 rounds. 

Wouldn’t trade Q for a 4th but wouldn’t sign him to a monster deal. There should be an in between. 

I just don’t see why he would get 20-25 mil a year. Who’s going to pay that when the only guys making that much at the position are Donald, chris jones, and Buckner. Vita vea just got 17.5 and Kenny Clark is around there too. I know contracts get higher every year but using that a a baseline we shouldn’t have to pay any more than that.