Around the NFL - Off-season and Training Camp

Texas_OutLaw7

13 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

1. I guess I am not the homer your forum paints me as. 

2. It depends on how we define average. By median (.500) we are better, but by mode, probably not. Lots of average teams are actually 9-10 win teams. Which is what I expect we will be until our defense proves me wrong. 

Yeah, a lot is riding on the defense. I put you guys at 10 wins though. A 12 win team or something in this division just isn’t realistic, especially with the NFC having 9 road games and us having to play the Bucs and Chiefs.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

18 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, a lot is riding on the defense. I put you guys at 10 wins though. A 12 win team or something in this division just isn’t realistic, especially with the NFC having 9 road games and us having to play the Bucs and Chiefs.

After watching 2 preseason games from both teams, I would say I was more impressed with Philly, the Pitts game not NE.

What I look for in these games is very simple, fundamentals.

I've been saying this for years on this forum.

On offense, blocking, route running, reading a defense, protecting the ball.

Dallas gets an F in all of these. Every single play our QB dropped back to pass, there were more opposing jerseys in the backfield than his own team!

Holding onto the ball has been a big problem for us. When Dinucci goes in I shut it off because he is simply going to turn it over. This is a fact.

I know everyone is going to say "but it's the back ups, not the starters." I understand that, but all of these miscues points to one thing, bad coaching.

A good coach can teach an average player to be fundamentally sound. All the great ones did this: Landry, Lombardi, Johnson, Knox, Walsh, Parcells, etc.

When you see our back ups running a circus out there, that's bad coaching. That tells me our coach is relying on starting talent to win.

Problem: injuries, covid, suspensions. Players WILL miss time for one reason or another. That's when you will see a potential 10-12 win team become a 4-6 win team.

I'm not impressed with our coaching staff.

But with that said, hope springs eternal so.....

Go Cowboys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Imagine y'all drafted TJ Watt..... jfc

That ship has sailed and the reality is I put odds 50/50 he would have been hurt. The other 50 he would not have had as much success due to our different style of defense and being used to "cover" LB's all the time. 

Just as a side note NO amount of coaching is going to turn DeNucci into Dak and Steele, Nsekhe and Knight into the second coming of Collins or Smith. 

Other then OL and unfortunately injury to our DT's we have better depth this year then we've had in years.  For a change our 2nd and 3rd string D has not been over matched in the preseason this year. 

1 hour ago, quiller said:

Just as a side note NO amount of coaching is going to turn DeNucci into Dak and Steele, Nsekhe and Knight into the second coming of Collins or Smith. 

Other then OL and unfortunately injury to our DT's we have better depth this year then we've had in years.  For a change our 2nd and 3rd string D has not been over matched in the preseason this year. 

I'm not asking or expecting that. But for Christ's sake at LEAST be servicable! You are playing in a professional league, best of the best, at the very least be able to block or tackle.

Wtf are they even doing in a uniform otherwise? I mean, you or I can get out there and do just as poorly.

A good coach can inspire (or put the fear of God into you) to perform above your own expectations.

30 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I'm not asking or expecting that. But for Christ's sake at LEAST be servicable! You are playing in a professional league, best of the best, at the very least be able to block or tackle.

Wtf are they even doing in a uniform otherwise? I mean, you or I can get out there and do just as poorly.

A good coach can inspire (or put the fear of God into you) to perform above your own expectations.

Knight has his moments, but in my opinion he's serviceable. Nsekhe I haven't been all that impressed with, but apparently he hasn't been as bad as his first preseason game with us. 

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Tbh I still feel like we have one of the better second-string OLs in the league despite mixed returns in the preseason. I doubt there's another team in the league that can claim to have 3 *backup* offensive tackles with at least 10 career starts at OT. And McGovern of course was a Top 100 draft pick who conducted himself fairly well last year.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, quiller said:

I also like think Mcgovern and Knight are better then average "back ups".  The problem is four of our five OL are so good there is just too much of a drop off when they are MIA.   

Ironically the guy I'm most anxious about losing to injury is the one I assume you're not counting, Biasdaz. I feel like if the preseason has shown us anything offensively, it's that we're hurting at backup C. Not sure why we haven't tried McGovern there yet.