2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

4 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

At the minimum. Biggest problem with getting rid of Carr is the same as always. Who do you replace him with. I'm not a fan of his. BUT I do not want to go through another Andrew Walter, Marcus Tuiasasopo, Kerry Collins, Carson Palmer, JaMarcus Russell ect ect ect. What Carr haters really need to realize. Is that there are much MUCH worse options. And also it doesn't matter who comes in they will not be perfect and as such there will always be detractors. And most likely THEY will be the detractors. Carr lovers or rather apologist need to realize that he is not Elite. He never will be. He is average and usually above average (the last few seasons at least) But he will never be elite most likely. He will always be that top 15 to 20 guy. That being said that is not terrible. There are teams that have been searching for years HOPING for a top 15 to 20 guy. Hell we were one of them. Anyway my point is. I am so.tired of the ship Carr stuff with no lefit replacement in mind. Just "someone better, a playmaker, a difference maker" well duh man. Every team in the league is looking for that dude. There ain't 65 dudes that fit that description just chillinm and waiting for us to call. They are hard to find. That's why I have been wishing every year we would take at least 1 guy round 3ish maybe 4ish maybe even in the 2nd. But take one every 2 to 3 years until you find your guy. Meanwhile Carr being Carr. THAT is how you replace him. Formulate a plan and find your man.

Don't get me wrong at all, Derek Carr is my favorite player. The reality of it is he is now 30 years old and we likely are entering a new GM and HC group that may not see him as part of their vision. I don't see why Derek Carr would sign something like a 3 year/100mil deal with the final year having no guarantees, but something like that (~35mil year 1 and 2, then trade or extend year three) is pretty ideal to me. I am comfortable with Sam Howell right now as a prospect and wouldn't be opposed to snagging him, but almost assuredly not if we have Carr on the books as if we have Carr we have a window and need to support him.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What did we even do with the money we created? lol

I think Casey Heyward was one of the restructures to make money for, he was like a 5mil added late in the offseason if I remember right

Edited by Trojan

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Don't get me wrong at all, Derek Carr is my favorite player. The reality of it is he is now 30 years old and we likely are entering a new GM and HC group that may not see him as part of their vision. I don't see why Derek Carr would sign something like a 3 year/100mil deal with the final year having no guarantees, but something like that (~35mil year 1 and 2, then trade or extend year three) is pretty ideal to me. I am comfortable with Sam Howell right now as a prospect and wouldn't be opposed to snagging him, but almost assuredly not if we have Carr on the books as if we have Carr we have a window and need to support him.

I like Howell and Corral but my point is the QB spot should always be churning in new blood in my opinion. Same way the Pat's did with Cassell and Garropillo or however you spell there names. Best case you get your guy. Most likely you keep having potential trade bait. Worst case you have Carr (or whoever your average Joe is)

I think we can comfortably ride this year out with Carr, can't see him demanding an extension. He is probably outplaying his contract slightly atm but underperformed it slightly in the past. The QBs in this draft absolutely stink, evaluate him next year. Can also tag him if we need to. 

6 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Covid death rate is so minimal it doesnt even matter. .  but this thing that is (I am guessing here) also minimal is on my side of the argument so look at it!?!?!
Anyways back to football. 

My point simply put is: 

people/players shouldn’t be forced to get vaccinated.  It’s their choice and shouldn’t have to explain it or reveal it to anyone.

a professional athlete with an incredible immune system and respiratory system is far and away less likely to have any major negative effects from catching covid.  Its unscientificallty a 1:1 billion chance they get covid and suffer a major medical condition or death.  That said it’s not some crack pot idea for an athlete to choose alternative health methods of preventing covid Thru further improving their health, taking a ton of vitamins, wearing a mask and pouring rubbing alcohol on everything in their radius lol and if they get it going on treatments like Joe Rogan and Aaron Rodgers.  

but on the other side myocarditis does have a reported .7% chance in young male athletes.  While that’s really low, it’s still a Risk.  It’s not Russian roulette to decide not to get vaccinated.  

End of my interest and replies on the issue 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jraider91 said:

I think we can comfortably ride this year out with Carr, can't see him demanding an extension. He is probably outplaying his contract slightly atm but underperformed it slightly in the past. The QBs in this draft absolutely stink, evaluate him next year. Can also tag him if we need to. 

I definitely think Carr is going to be seeking an extension this offseason. He'll be 31, has already gotten seriously injured, and is coming off of a strong year. Why risk it from his perspective playing on a 1 year deal? If he gets hurt he'll never get a huge deal again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

I like Howell and Corral but my point is the QB spot should always be churning in new blood in my opinion. Same way the Pat's did with Cassell and Garropillo or however you spell there names. Best case you get your guy. Most likely you keep having potential trade bait. Worst case you have Carr (or whoever your average Joe is)

Unfortunately you need a coaching staff that’s willing and able to develop young QBs.  We didn’t have that with Gruden as he was unwilling.  
but yes your absolutely right.  Teams should draft a QB in the mid rounds every 2-3 years.  At worst their a really cheap back up QB for several seasons.  

the Same thing applies to RBs.  You can find good RBs in rounds 5-7…. Teams should draft a RB ever year or two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Worst case is Connor Cook lol

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Unfortunately you need a coaching staff that’s willing and able to develop young QBs.  We didn’t have that with Gruden as he was unwilling.  
but yes your absolutely right.  Teams should draft a QB in the mid rounds every 2-3 years.  At worst their a really cheap back up QB for several seasons.  

Gruden going 4 years without drafting a QB was surprising. 

5 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Sam Howell doesn't stink imo he's a solid first rounder that should go top 10 in this class and I don't see why people aren't high on him other than he is maybe an inch short.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Gruden going 4 years without drafting a QB was surprising. 

Has Gruden ever drafted a rookie QB other than Chris Simms? He typically did older veterans Gannon, Brad Johnson, Griese, Jeff Garcia, Derek Carr (Mariota)

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's just average physically and regressed this season.

I don't see how you can watch Sam Howell rocket a ball downfield and say he is average physically. He isn't Stafford but he is easily plus arm talent and this year he showed some mobility. The knock on him is potentially pocket presence based on the most recent year when talent around him jumped to the NFL and his line was far less than ideal. He has a plus arm, an exceptional work ethic and character, decent mobility, and plus accuracy... while projections have him available at our natural first for some reason.

Edited by Trojan