2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I don't think you're making the point you think you're thinking you are. He runs a lot. He will not run a lot in the NFL because he's slow.

Howell is significantly more mobile than Carr. I don't think he'll be some elite runner but his mobility is definitely a plus.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Howell is significantly more mobile than Carr. I don't think he'll be some elite runner but his mobility is definitely a plus.

Howell's running ability is negligible to me. He doesn't get up to speed quickly, he's slow, and he's not quick. He's Baker Mayfield as a runner.

Carr runs as much as he needs to over the past two seasons. And, he has become one of the league's best movers inside the pocket since 2019. If Howell wants to reach his ultimate potential, which is what Derek Carr is now (and honestly, that's a stretch), he's going to have to evolve in the same way. Running with even the quarter of the frequency that Howell did in college is going to a) get him hurt, and b) be bad for him as a player.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

carr ran faster 40 then cam newton. Carr is ubderrated in athletic ability, he just doesnt run much at all. Howell isnt doing much in NFL as runner, not enough to make difference.  Daniel Jones/trubisky comp for me. some good traits that wont translate well next level. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roi34 said:

carr ran faster 40 then cam newton. Carr is ubderrated in athletic ability, he just doesnt run much at all. Howell isnt doing much in NFL as runner, not enough to make difference.  Daniel Jones/trubisky comp for me. some good traits that wont translate well next level. 

Carr biggest issue with running is stiffness. But, we even saw in the Wildcard game that he has some nice straight line speed. I would say even now Carr is faster in a straight line than Howell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Carr is decent when he takes off with the ball. He always has been too.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Worst case is Connor Cook lol

But then we had Carr as the starter until injury. Now imagine you trade Carr and Connor Cook is the starter all season and not the backup. Also you just invested a first in him and will have him at the helm for 3 to 5 years. THAT is the problem with just ditching Carr. That's why I have said since year 1 we should have been drafting QBs every 2 to 3 years. I wanted Watson when he slid. And was told I was a Clemson Homer we had our guy. I then wanted Mason Rudolph. Then Finley as a later round guy. But when I would mention it I was a Carr hater. I honestly wouldn't care if we had Andrew Luck as a rookie. In the next 2 drafts I'm getting another QB. And would continue to do so every 3 to 4 years at the least.

Edited by BigD1123
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KlenlyKenny said:

Carr is decent when he takes off with the ball. He always has been too.

He just can't hold onto the ball. Which is maddening. I mean if anyone should know ball protection it's the QB. Even if he has small hands there are still ways to secure.

Funny thing is my reason for not liking Carr has nothing really to do with his play. I get tired of him seeming to go into his 2 or 3 game chump phase were he looks scared. But I can deal with it as long as he has 9 or 10 good games. I mean no person alive is on it at all times. My issue is  I don't like to hear him talk for some reason. I don't know if it's his voice or what but it seems like I  dont know. I can't put my finger on it. And when he uses slang I roll my eyes. That being said. He really does seem like an awesome guy. And it seems he truly cares for people. And he is a pretty decent qb. Just not my favorite. That being said he is a Raider so I have his back.

Edited by BigD1123

2 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Funny thing is my reason for not liking Carr has nothing really to do with his play. I get tired of him seeming to go into his 2 or 3 game chump phase were he looks scared. But I can deal with it as long as he has 9 or 10 good games. I mean no person alive is on it at all times. My issue is  I don't like to hear him talk for some reason. I don't know if it's his voice or what but it seems like I  dont know. I can't put my finger on it. And when he uses slang I roll my eyes. That being said. He really does seem like an awesome guy. And it seems he truly cares for people. And he is a pretty decent qb. Just jot my favorite. That being said he is a Raider so I have his back.

I feel the same way.  I does not seem genuine to me.  Not saying he is not but he comes across that way to me.  Statements like I would retire if I was traded but the crap out of me.  If you are asked about being traded then just say I want to end my career here and that is the plan right now.  As far as Carr's running i think his issues are ball security and decisiveness.  When he decides to run quickly he does well.  When he gets caught between waiting for a WR to come open or run you can see him start to think about it and hesitate.  He needs to get out of the pocket if he feels pressure and keep his eyes downfield while advancing the ball.  If there is not an open WR tuck the ball away and run.  If the defense knows you will be deciive when running you can start to suck up the LBs and/or Ss and open up some throwing lanes downfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

PFF College has mocked Olave to us:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-mock-draft-denver-broncos-select-first-quarterback-sam-howell-north-carolina

If we go after a speedster in FA, I'd be OK w/ that but if we do not, if we go WR, it has to be that type of player. Olave is not the guy we need right now.

You don't consider Olave a speedster?