2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 3/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lol i never saw a olinemen stock drop so dam Fast lol. He’s too big to be that dam soft. I bet he’s just been getting by cause of his frame. 

I’ve been saying that for 2 years.  He’s “big for nothing”.  And honestly too big to move with the fluidity require in the nfl.  And what’s the point of being 386? If you ain’t a bad Mofo whose punishing defenders.  He’s very content with a barely winning with his size.  I’d much rather have someone who plays nasty and catches bodies, playing til the whistle and after.  I can’t stand soft big guys.

In pass pro he got by with quick Sets and his obscene length.  That won’t fly in NFL.  He isn’t going to be effective kick setting.  When you have very a very limited blocking repertoire you better be very very good at it with great refinement.  He isn’t.  Cuz rushers  know what your gonna go most of the time and will Exploit it.

Edited by jimkelly02

11 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

our DTS currently suck

Mehhh we are running a 3-4 Base so DT’s aren’t very important anymore. We’ll still be running a ton of Nickel though but at least that’s only around 65% of the game. If we still had a 4-3 Base, we would need 2 good DT’s basically every play. 

49 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Mehhh we are running a 3-4 Base so DT’s aren’t very important anymore. We’ll still be running a ton of Nickel though but at least that’s only around 65% of the game. If we still had a 4-3 Base, we would need 2 good DT’s basically every play. 

Well our 3-4 DEs suck then. Lol, jk.

Seriously… I think we do need to improve the DL.  Btw is it official we’re running a 3-4?  Cuz I only say Graham duck the question.  

Edited by jimkelly02

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve been saying that for 2 years.  He’s “big for nothing”.  And honestly too big to move with the fluidity require in the nfl.  And what’s the point of being 386? If you ain’t a bad Mofo whose punishing defenders.  He’s very content with a barely winning with his size.  I’d much rather have someone who plays nasty and catches bodies, playing til the whistle and after.  I can’t stand soft big guys.

In pass pro he got by with quick Sets and his obscene length.  That won’t fly in NFL.  He isn’t going to be effective kick setting.  When you have very a very limited blocking repertoire you better be very very good at it with great refinement.  He isn’t.  Cuz rushers  know what your gonna go most of the time and will Exploit it.

And he’s too soft to kick inside to guard

32 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Seriously… I think we do need to improve the DL.  Btw is it official we’re running a 3-4?  Cuz I only say Graham duck the question.  

i actually think Cle will do well in 3-4 dont hate guys

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Idgaf what we actually run..  But I'd love to see a wrinkle with both Maxx and Chan on the same side from time to time.  Unblockable.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roi34 said:

i actually think Cle will do well in 3-4 dont hate guys

I’ve been saying that.  Leonard Williams really came into his own under PG’s varied 3-4 and 4-3 system and I think Ferrell will have success.  I’m not saying he’s going to make it all up for taking him at 4 or anything but I think IF he comes into camp like last year all YOKED the F up, then he could be a 6-8 sack player.  Heck, Nassib was a 7 sack player twice before he came here. 6-8 sacks isn’t ridiculous.  Plenty of mediocre talent have done it.  Benson Mayowa did it too.

Edited by jimkelly02

38 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve been saying that.  Leonard Williams really came into his own under PG’s varied 3-4 and 4-3 system and I think Ferrell will have success.  I’m not saying he’s going to make it all up for taking him at 4 or anything but I think IF he comes into camp like last year all YOKED the F up, then he could be a 6-8 sack player.  Heck, Nassib was a 7 sack player twice before he came here. 6-8 sacks isn’t ridiculous.  Plenty of mediocre talent have done it.  Benson Mayowa did it too.

i can def see it. even last year in limited reps he got some good pressures

50 minutes ago, Totty said:

Idgaf what we actually run..  But I'd love to see a wrinkle with both Maxx and Chan on the same side from time to time.  Unblockable.  

Actually I’m hoping for us to have no set 4-3 or 3-4 and change things up weekly based on matchupsZ

but I bring up the 3-4 because when aligned in a 3-4 it would allow Ferrell to align more in the 5 and 4 technique, which I think suits him Way better.  His biggest issue aligning in as a 7T in a 4-3 is he doesn’t have the bend to beat OTs outside and curve his path back inside to the QB.  But as a 4/5T he doesn’t have to worry about that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roi34 said:

i can def see it. even last year in limited reps he got some good pressures

Absolutely… even back in 2020 he was getting pressure consistently.  He had 21 pressures, which isn’t bad at all.  
It just wasn’t going to ever work with Bradley.  I think he put the work in and really developed his body but GB’s scheme requires bendy, twitchy DEs and that isn’t Cle at all.  I think he was hoping to get looks inside, hence the weight gain, but Bradley just wasn’t interested in using him.   

1 hour ago, Totty said:

Yeah…. The one thing that sold me on Graham the most was his ability to play unorthodox alignments and really confuse the OL and QB.  That’s something really important to him.  It’s not an every down thing, but on important downs such as a 3rd down Graham will do unorthodox things like 1-2 down lineman with the rest standing up, he’ll blitz LBs, etc.  it’s a fun defense to watch when he does it.  And that’s only talking about the front 7, on the backend he also does different things with the safeties (in NY he had Logan Ryan and Jabrill Peppers) and slot CBs.  

I’ve heard people describe it as he wants to make the OL and QB have to think about what’s going on and create a solution.  When there’s communication errors or mental processing errors or just bad decisions or the OL don’t see something, it manufactures advantageous situations that result in pressures and sacks. 
With Bradley we’d just line up and try to win.  The opposing OL saw very little Change in the alignment of the DL from down to down and really only had to think about blitzers.  Tackles blocked DEs, G’s and C blocked DTs.  But Graham will bring wild alignments but also put wild packages of DL+LBs.  Sometimes you might see 1 DT, 1 DE, 4 LBs.  

Just think about it when the Defense is aligning the same way every time the OL just has to worry about blitzes and during the play if there’s a stunt, twist, etc they gotta recognize it And adjust.  But when the OL sees a Crazy alignment and grouping of DL+LBs the C has to slow down and start assigning blockers and call out protections and try and come up with a Solution to the problem Graham poses them.   There’s the well known NASCAR packages, but I think this is multiple of times better.

So yeah…. I’d love to see Crosby and Jones rushing from Same side.  Idk how you try and block that.  You just hope to get a quick throw off.  They’re both so Long and have an amazing ability to close that last 2-3 yards of ground.  It’s like there close… and in a blink of the eye they got the QB.

I also would really like to see Koonce get rushed as standup LB, specifically aligned wide.  He’s so freggin bendy. He really impressed me in his limited action.  We shoulda got him on the field more.  I can understand waiting like we did but he earned more snaps and we could have used him.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Mayowa had 7 sacks with 301 snaps in2019.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:30 AM, JarrodR86 said:

With no 1st and 2nd now, wondering on the boards thoughts on who you’d like to see as a target in round 3? I think we’ll sign a capable RT in free agency still, and probably some cheap vet deals at DT and LB to round out the roster.. However, I think LB is our biggest area of weakness so I would consider trying to trade up from the 3rd round, maybe use our extra 5th rounder and get into the 2nd round to get Chad Muma or Damone Clark. Add some talent and youth to the position with Diablo and Perryman. 

4th round I would target the best guard for our offensive scheme to compete with Leatherwood, Simpson and Good for the starting spots and 5th round would probably be a good spot for a gadget/speed receiver pickup.. I think next year we focus on finding our long term RT in Round 1 and we’ll be looking prime for a nice run!!

To be honest, 3rd round onwards immediate starters are few and far between so I'd purely be looking for high potential kids that maybe drop or BPA with high ceilings pretty much at any position.

The kid you draft in the 4th or 5th probably isn't going to be any better than a low cost vet to fill a hole immediately like at LB, OT or DT so I'd look more long term and try to just get as much talent that drops as possible and fill any gaping holes with vets. Then if one of those high potential lower picks pans out quickly like a Crosby or Hobbs it's a bonus.