2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 4/27/2022 at 12:13 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Can I just go on the record and say that IF Carson Strong is available at 86, I wouldn't be too terribly upset with taking him? 

Ideal? Probably not, given our needs elsewhere. But I wouldn't consider it an underwhelming reach. I'd probably consider it a steal and look to a potential future. 

Naturally, I'd prefer going CB or OT at that spot, but if the right guy isn't there....

McDaniels has made average QBs like Cassell, Brissett, Garappolo, and Kyle Orton look like starting caliber QBs, the first 3 of whom wound up being trade assets. 

If Carr were to go down, we're probably screwed. If Gilbert or Mullens started, you can already chalk it up as screwed. They're known commodities and not very good. Would a rookie like Strong really be much worse? I sincerely doubt it. At the very least, I'd trust McDaniels to put him in a spot to look ok. And in a couple of years, maybe Strong is the next McDaniels backup QB that garners some trade attention. 

It's probably a moot point since he's almost assuredly not going to be our pick, but for anyone to bash the possibility as dumb is just...dense. We could find out he's a starter long term, he's trade fodder, he's a quality backup, or he's trash. But given those 4 potential outcome, Strong has a 75% of having at least some value to the team as it currently stands and with what our QB depth chart looks like. Not bad for a 3rd round pick at all. 

Then again, some guys here were pimping Rattler at 1.1 for us last year and trying to pound the table for Willis or Corral, so....QB evaluations around here are shotty at best, imo. 

I'd say Strong at 86 would probably be a steal. I'm not a huge fan but if he slipped that far it would be hard to pass him up. As far as Faalele he definitely needs to commit himself to remolding his body. But in all honesty with his low strength numbers and his size and that horrible senior bowl week. It wouldn't surprise me if he was still around for one of our fifth rounders. And there I'd take a flyer for sure. If we as armchair gms see his issues you know the paid guys do. Reminds me of people thinking Bruce Campbell was going to be a first round pick when he blew up the combine. But the people that get paid to draft these guys  wouldn't touch him until at least the fourth (us...we touched him) now that dude was a physical specimen.

Edited by BigD1123

You guys are right they changed the food rule a couple of years ago now it states.

Schools can provide a meal or snack incidental to participation outside the playing season. That includes during a school's vacation period provided the athlete is required to remain on campus for organized practice or competition.

23 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Feels weird to wake up on draft day and not immediately start to worry about what the dumb things the Raiders will do with their first round pick 

I'm moving to Florida today and when my wife booked the tickets she asked me if I care it's on draft day I was like nope

I don't know if anyone saw this.  Obviously it's coming from NFL Rumors on Twitter which doesn't mean much.  I'm going to look into this, this morning.  Hopefully he checks out and ends up falling to us in the third.  Lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What an odd feeling. A day that's usually our fan bases Super Bowl and one where I literally count down to like Christmas, hasn't been on my mind for months. 

It will still be fun and it's cool how it's in Vegas, but super underwhelming haha. 

Every year seems like a brand new poster pops up with insider info on who we’re drafting. 

never forget the dj Hayden year esp

• Like 1

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Feels weird to wake up on draft day and not immediately start to worry about what the dumb things the Raiders will do with their first round pick 

It is very strange to not have a first round pick, IIRC we didn't have a 1/2 in Reggie's first year either because Hue had traded them for Carson Palmer, lol.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It is very strange to not have a first round pick, IIRC we didn't have a 1/2 in Reggie's first year either because Hue had traded them for Carson Palmer, lol.

Wasn't Carson Palmer holding out?  Like literally at home on the couch?  Crazy that we did that.  We probably could've gotten him for a 5th.

• Like 1

My final mock draft, before the picks officially begin, lol.

86. Phidarian Mathis | DL | Alabama

126. Jalyn Armour-Davis | CB | Alabama

164. Max Mitchell | OT | Louisiana 

165. Justyn Ross | WR | Clemson

227. Markquese Bell | S | Florida A&M

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Wasn't Carson Palmer holding out?  Like literally at home on the couch?  Crazy that we did that.  We probably could've gotten him for a 5th.

Yeah he was but we were in playoff contention, IIRC Al had just passed away so Hue had full control and Campbell had gotten hurt.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Yeah he was but we were in playoff contention, IIRC Al had just passed away so Hue had full control and Campbell had gotten hurt.

Yeah.  Still.  Just sucks.  A total waste of picks.  Palmer didn't want to be here at all.