2022 Draft Talk

swede700

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what positions look to be the deepest next year?

CB and S possibly but hard to tell right now.  OLB could be kind of weak and so could RB and DT unless some guys emerge.  A lot of solid TEs but not sure anyone is super elite but arguably WR could be the deepest at the top with Wilson, Olave, Burks, London and Bell etc.  Some talented pass rushers but many have to take it to the next level like Drake Jackson, Tyreke Smith, Hutchinson, Gaye, Wooden, Xavier Thomas etc.  Kayvon Thibodeau would be arguably the #1 pass rusher in the 2021 draft if he could have declared and Evan Neal arguably the #1 RT/OG if he could have declared in 2021.  QB is solid up high also with Rattler, Howell and Slovis then later Corral and Purdy potentially

6 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

I completely expected this thread, at about this time.

But I am mildly disappointed to not see a 2023 Draft thread at this time. 🙁

Here are a few names to pay attention to but obviously hard to say, will make more sense after next season and be a little more sound.  Granted Brandon Joseph might declare in 2022 but he is only a RS SOPH next year and might return.

DJ Uiagalelei Clemson QB
Eli Ricks LSU CB
Bryan Bresee Clemson DT
Michael Mayer Notre Dame TE
Brandon Joseph Northwestern S
Malachi Moore Alabama CB
Bijan Robinson Texas RB
Will Anderson Jr Alabama OLB
Brian Branch Alabama S
Myles Murphy Clemson DE
Noah Sewell Oregon ILB
Peter Skoronski Northwestern OT
Marvin Mims Oklahoma WR

11 hours ago, Purplexing said:

I completely expected this thread, at about this time.

But I am mildly disappointed to not see a 2023 Draft thread at this time. 🙁

Don't want to get ahead too far on the "Draft a QB in '23" discussion.  We'll save that for Cinco de Mayo '22.  

On 5/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, Ozzy said:

Well in 2022 the Vikings have some big time free agents.

Harrison Smith who I would hate to see go, Anthony Barr is more likely done.  O'Neill is up for a new contract, so is obviously Peterson, Alexander, Hughes and Woods but depends on how they play.  But to whom it may concern here is my introductory list of players available.  Would hate to go DB again early but if Peterson, Alexander and Woods are all gone they would have some huge holes because those three all start arguably next year in a base nickel package.  

Heres a mock draft for me using your rankings.  

1st - CB / Kaiir Elam / Florida 

2nd - TE - Jalen Wydermyer / Texas A&M

3rd - OLB - Owen Pappoe / Auburn

4th - S - BJ Foster / Texas

5th - K - Cameron Dicker / Texas

6th - S - Smoke Monday / Auburn

7th - DE - Big Cat Bryant / Tennessee

UDFA - WR - Frank Ladson / Clemson

36 minutes ago, Boda said:

Heres a mock draft for me using your rankings.  

1st - CB / Kaiir Elam / Florida 

2nd - TE - Jalen Wydermyer / Texas A&M

3rd - OLB - Owen Pappoe / Auburn

4th - S - BJ Foster / Texas

5th - K - Cameron Dicker / Texas

6th - S - Smoke Monday / Auburn

7th - DE - Big Cat Bryant / Tennessee

UDFA - WR - Frank Ladson / Clemson

It will be interesting what Clemson looks like, Frank Ladson has ability but Clemson lost a crap ton of receiving talent and RB talent.  Not sure any of those RBs on Clemson will take over for what Etienne brought much less the receivers in Powell and Rogers.  They better hope Ladson or Ngata become super stars because if not DJ will not have much to throw to.  

I would not mind the Vikings getting a TE, and Wydermyer has 1st round potential and is a huge dude.  Elam not sure the Vikings would be in the range for him, he is most likely a top 10 pick.  Sure hope the Vikings are not picking in the top 10 next year.  I would sure hope safety is not an issue coming into next years draft but it could be no question.  Smoke has a lot of upside but outside of some splash plays has a lot to improve on, his teammate Sherwood should be a monster at safety in the NFL especially if a team uses him around the line of scrimmage.  

Would love for the Vikings to get Kyle Hamilton to replace Harrison if he is indeed done but hopefully the Vikings can resign him and most likely again they should not be picking that high to get Kyle Hamilton anyway.  Jalen Catalon is a tough physical safety with range that had a great RS FR year, and Daxton Hill has potential as does Bubba Bolden and Brandon Joseph who not sure he declares but might be in the mix, still not sure he will be as impactful as he was last year with all that Northwestern lost on defense.  

And sure hope the Vikings are not drafting a kicker even though honestly they probably should have this year and got Jose.  Will be curious how he does on the Bucs, if he is good I will be pissed because Vikings could have easily drafted him.  Kene Nwangwu could have been passed over for a kicker but hopefully Riley Patterson can be that guy and he might be able to.

Speaking of the QB room, would the Vikings be better off if they got their potential future QB in 2022 outside of the top guys?  Not so sure, Brock Purdy not sure I would take him oven Kellen Mond right now.  JT Daniels, Phil Jurkovec, Desmond Ridder, Jayden Daniels?  I would take Mond over any of them right now also, sure things could change but looks like a solid pick overall and a good value.  Sure some of these guys could play great and increase their draft stock but right now Mond is the better QB prospect.  Also good that the Vikings got a backup QB now because if they did not draft Mond would have to have had Stanely or Browning be the backup during the season or sign a free agent with money they do not really have.  Sure could have waited for a UDFA like Jamie Newman but who would have known he would drop that far and clearly him sitting out said a lot and decreased his draft stock big time.  Also he is far more raw than Mond, very talented and has a better thicker build but is not as proven and has not went through as much Mond has.  

• 5 months later...

This is awesome! 

Reid started doing draft analysis as a Vikings fan on Twitter. And he’s steadily made his way to the top of the charts. Truly one of the best draft talent evaluators on Twitter. ESPN just became watchable again. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

not sure if there's anything to read into this but the vikings didn't send a single scout to the game where arguably the top 2 QB prospects were playing. not that it's overly surprising but to me that signals the vikings aren't planning on mailing it in/rebuilding in the near future.

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

QB isn’t the problem. The Vikings need to spend a few drafts rebuilding/replenishing the defense. 

I agree. As sad as it is, we need to probably draft another DB in the 1st this year.