2022 Draft Talk

swede700

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

This team isn’t sniffing a super bowl with the current general philosophy and terrible defense. Just don’t know how long it will take to remedy this and if Cousins will still be playing at a high level. 

I agree with this. But I think he can win one if those two things are in place.

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

And who is going to be available to draft at our pick that will be an upgrade?

No one we draft is going to be better than Kirk in 2022. Kirk is a good QB and rookie will not be better. However, drafting a QB is not about winning in year 1. It's finding someone who can lead the franchise and be the face of the franchise. Still there could be some good QB's in this class.

How are we going to get out Cousins' $45,000,000 cap hit next year if we don't extend him?

Extending him is only going to prolong the suffering and there's not lock he may want an extension. The bill will come due eventually and will lose out on players by extending him. The Vikings will have to suffer with the cap hit

How are we going to maintain a team with Cousins taking up $45,000,000 of the cap?

Fans are not going to like this but they will have to purge defense, go young and very cheap. This is an offense driven league and the core on that side must be preserve. 

Barr, Dalvin, Sheldon have voided years, Pierce, Smith and Hunter maybe be cut, trade, extend or restructure. Literally Kendricks is the only one safe. Still, I rather suffer one year. Then your HC will have a year to put in his offense and have a lot of cap space in 2023 to work with. Instead of extend Kirk and he holds the team hostage for another 3 years.     

At this point, we just need to hope that $190 million over his career is enough for Kirk to give us a discount so we can put more players and depth around him. 

I firmly believe that Kirk on a reasonable contract can win us a Super Bowl. Kirk on a Top 3-5 contract...my confidence is less. 

I believe Kirk will not take less. (Not upset with this) Kirk is built to be on a established team with great vocal team leader and a offensive HC. He can just go play and execute.

17 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Kirk Cousins is nothing more than QB purgatory lets be honest with ourselves

It blows my mind that Vikings fans (as a whole, not directed specifically at you) don't appreciate having a top-5/top-10 QB after literally DECADES of absolute garbage at the position. Kirk is the best, longest tenured, most dependable QB we have had since Fran frickin' Tarkenton.

I gurantee the fan base will cheer whenever Kirk finally walks out the door, and we'll be back to 50 years of busts.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Another thing to consider, those numbers encompass the entire Cousins era with the Vikings. I’d be curious to see how those numbers rank year to year. Is one year skewing the numbers? Have we seen improvements over the years? 

These questions are just off the quoted section. I have not yet read Arif’s article. 

I haven't read the article.

I think comparing Kirk, against his progression, is the fairest way to evaluate. Maybe a few top QB comparisons as well.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings find themselves picking I. The top 10 (they currently hold the 10th selection), I would seriously consider offering a future 1st, if not more, to move up and secure either Aiden Hutchinson or Kayvon Thibodeaux.

Stay put or trade down. 

Very few instances where trading up is beneficial.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings find themselves picking I. The top 10 (they currently hold the 10th selection), I would seriously consider offering a future 1st, if not more, to move up and secure either Aiden Hutchinson or Kayvon Thibodeaux.

I don't know if I would be in favor of giving up a future first for a DE this year. The Vikings have a lot of holes to plug, and depending on the length of Cousins' exentsion this offseason, we may be using that first rounder next year to draft the QBOTF. 

Barr is gone after this season, our "top 3" (and I use "top" loosely) Cornerbacks are all likely gone after this season, Harrison is a year older, Woods is gone, our DT's could be upgraded, and Thielen will be a year older. An impact DE is definitely a need, but not one I'd be comfortable giving up a lot of draft capital for. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I would be in favor of giving up a future first for a DE this year. The Vikings have a lot of holes to plug, and depending on the length of Cousins' exentsion this offseason, we may be using that first rounder next year to draft the QBOTF. 

Barr is gone after this season, our "top 3" (and I use "top" loosely) Cornerbacks are all likely gone after this season, Harrison is a year older, Woods is gone, our DT's could be upgraded, and Thielen will be a year older. An impact DE is definitely a need, but not one I'd be comfortable giving up a lot of draft capital for. 

Both are not just good defensive ends, they are difference makers. And while this team will have its holes, those holes get smaller when you add difference makers to the equation. 

Vikings currently picking 10th. Could sneak into the playoffs or could sneak into the top 10. 4D chess! 😉

1. Detroit (1-10-1): @ Denver, Arizona, @Atlanta, @ Seattle, Green Bay

2. Jacksonville (2-10): @ Tennessee, Houston, @ New York Jets, @ New England, Indianapolis

3. Houston (2-10): Seattle, @ Jacksonville, Los Angeles Chargers, @ San Francisco, Tennessee

4. New York Jets (3-9): New Orleans, @ Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, @ Buffalo

*5. Seattle (4-8): @ Houston, @ Los Angeles Rams, Chicago, Detroit, @ Arizona

**6. Chicago (4-8): @ Green Bay, Minnesota, @ Seattle, New York Giants, @ Minnesota

7. New York Giants (4-8): @ Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas, @ Philadelphia, @ Chicago, Washington

8. Atlanta (5-7): @ Carolina, @ San Francisco, Detroit, @ Buffalo, New Orleans

9. Carolina (5-7): Atlanta, @ Buffalo, Tampa Bay, @ New Orleans, @ Tampa Bay

10. Minnesota (5-7): Pittsburgh, @ Chicago, Los Angeles Rams, @ Green Bay, Chicago

*Pick belongs to Jets

**Pick belongs to Giants

Bold = games remaining against teams picking in the top 10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Vikings currently picking 10th. Could sneak into the playoffs or could sneak into the top 10. 4D chess! 😉

1. Detroit (1-10-1): @ Denver, Arizona, @Atlanta, @ Seattle, Green Bay

2. Jacksonville (2-10): @ Tennessee, Houston, @ New York Jets, @ New England, Indianapolis

3. Houston (2-10): Seattle, @ Jacksonville, Los Angeles Chargers, @ San Francisco, Tennessee

4. New York Jets (3-9): New Orleans, @ Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, @ Buffalo

*5. Seattle (4-8): @ Houston, @ Los Angeles Rams, Chicago, Detroit, @ Arizona

**6. Chicago (4-8): @ Green Bay, Minnesota, @ Seattle, New York Giants, @ Minnesota

7. New York Giants (4-8): @ Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas, @ Philadelphia, @ Chicago, Washington

8. Atlanta (5-7): @ Carolina, @ San Francisco, Detroit, @ Buffalo, New Orleans

9. Carolina (5-7): Atlanta, @ Buffalo, Tampa Bay, @ New Orleans, @ Tampa Bay

10. Minnesota (5-7): Pittsburgh, @ Chicago, Los Angeles Rams, @ Green Bay, Chicago

*Pick belongs to Jets

**Pick belongs to Giants

Bold = games remaining against teams picking in the top 10.

Honestly at this point the Vikings might be better off losing and just getting a better draft pick and move on.  Unless this team greatly changes their attitude and performance what is the point of even getting to the Playoffs, so you can lose the 1st game?  

If they keep losing they could be in play for guys like Evan Neal, Daxton Hill, David Ojabo, and long shot Kyle Hamilton or Tyler Linderbaum or DeMarvin Leal closer to the 10 slot.  

• Like 1

Of the 2022 Vikings free agents these guys they should or at least probably could bring back, the kickers are a must as is probably the long snaper.  

Greg Joseph

Jordan Berry

Tyler Conklin

Andrew DePaola

Mason Cole

Everson Griffen

Only reason I have Griffen on there is I think they could get him for cheap and he has a bit left in the tank, and is better understood now that he came out with being Bipolar.  

All of these dudes I could absolutely see the Vikings not bringing back.  If Breeland would come back cheap I might be ok with him but Peterson gets hurt too much to pay as much as he gets, Barr is way over paid and gets hurt constantly as well, Hill is not good, Woods has not been great either.  Vigil maybe if he is cheap, same with Westbrook but he has been lacking as a receiver though he would be better.  Alexander has disappointed as well and has not been great and Herndon was just a wasted trade because he has been nothing great either.

Anthony Bar

Patrick Peterson

Sheldon Richardson

Bashaud Breeland

Rashod Hill

Xavier Woods

Nick Vigil

Mackensie Alexander

Dede Westbrook

Sean Mannion

Chad Beebe

Chris Herndon