2022 Draft Talk

swede700

45 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Fire Rick/Zim, trade Cousins, draft a QB in the 1st round and a OC and OG in round 2 & 3 … and don’t look back. 

So fire Rick/Zim, trade the 2nd best QB in team history, draft a QB in perhaps the weakest QB class in a decade, get back on the “we never have a good QB” train, and ignore the defense that was the actual problem this year?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

So fire Rick/Zim, trade the 2nd best QB in team history, draft a QB in perhaps the weakest QB class in a decade, get back on the “we never have a good QB” train, and ignore the defense that was the actual problem this year?

Letting our new HC and OC pick "their guy" to develop while also benefiting from having a QB on a rookie deal for 4 years is the best chance the Vikings win a SB.

If we can pick up some draft capital for cousins that would be amazing.

No chance we win a SB with our current roster - bloated contacts and aging & often injured stars (Thielen, Smith Hunter, Cook)

• Like 1

Based on the options that are available in the draft, it'd probably be foolish to trade Cousins (as much as I'd want to get out of the contract).  There are probably a couple available that I'd consider, but I certainly wouldn't be trading Cousins before the draft, which is what they'd have to do.  They'd be basically repeating the same mistake that they did when they drafted Ponder.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Based on the options that are available in the draft, it'd probably be foolish to trade Cousins (as much as I'd want to get out of the contract).  There are probably a couple available that I'd consider, but I certainly wouldn't be trading Cousins before the draft, which is what they'd have to do.  They'd be basically repeating the same mistake that they did when they drafted Ponder.

This. 

19 minutes ago, viking said:

Letting our new HC and OC pick "their guy" to develop while also benefiting from having a QB on a rookie deal for 4 years is the best chance the Vikings win a SB.

If we can pick up some draft capital for cousins that would be amazing.

No chance we win a SB with our current roster - bloated contacts and aging & often injured stars (Thielen, Smith Hunter, Cook)

He has a no trade clause and his contract is just dumb with the dead cap. No one is trading for him.

I want to shoot 8 into the sun, but that isn't happening.

2 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

He has a no trade clause and his contract is just dumb with the dead cap. No one is trading for him.

I want to shoot 8 into the sun, but that isn't happening.

The no trade clause was cancelled with his extension. There would definitely be a market for Cousins if we put him up for trade.

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, viking said:

The no trade clause was cancelled with his extension. There would definitely be a market for Cousins if we put him up for trade.

I just don't see significant compensation for that contract. We'd have to eat a lot of money to make it work.

5 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I just don't see significant compensation for that contract. We'd have to eat a lot of money to make it work.

There’s been a lot of analysts that disagree. Many seem to see Cousins as very tradeable. 

But even if the Vikings ate $10M of his salary, knocking his salary for a new to to $25M, it would save the Vikings $25M in cap space. And would be worth the move. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins is not the 2nd best QB in team history. No one cares about the “weakness of the QB class”, all that matters is the one QB your draft. You can’t quick fix this defense, but you can further strengthen the offense (which includes moving on from Cousins). This should have been the direction since 2018, to replace Cousins after his 3rd season. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s been a lot of analysts that disagree. Many seem to see Cousins as very tradeable. 

But even if the Vikings ate $10M of his salary, knocking his salary for a new to to $25M, it would save the Vikings $25M in cap space. And would be worth the move. 

Who would trade for Kirk Cousins?  No way the Steelers would, the Panthers would not do it either most likely. Who else, the Texans maybe or Denver?  But honestly is Cousins that much better than Teddy who they like but clearly cannot stay healthy.

Texans want to trade Watson, what work a deal for that?  Not sure that is a great idea, especially if what Watson is accused of is true.  

Not sure there are that many teams that would want Kirk Cousins at that price point regardless of how well he has played the past few seasons.  

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Trading Cousins well before the draft is our best option to get back good draft capital. So that’s the route i would go. Long term assets is the objective. 

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Who would trade for Kirk Cousins?  No way the Steelers would, the Panthers would not do it either most likely. Who else, the Texans maybe or Denver?  But honestly is Cousins that much better than Teddy who they like but clearly cannot stay healthy.

Texans want to trade Watson, what work a deal for that?  Not sure that is a great idea, especially if what Watson is accused of is true.  

Not sure there are that many teams that would want Kirk Cousins at that price point regardless of how well he has played the past few seasons.  

I mean, they drafted Gladney. What's one more terrible decision with upside?

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not so sure Pittsburgh wouldn't if the price is right.  Ben has significantly held that team back this year and is going to retire.  They need OL help but Claypool, D Johnson, Najee and Freiermuth are a really good young corps of weapons.

Not sure what their cap situation is like but would certainly be helped by Ben retiring.