2022 Draft Talk

swede700

6 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Overall:

Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Neal, Hamilton, Gardner

Not sure he gets drafted over Derek Stingley because Stingley's best season was better than Gardner's best but maybe the injuries will scare teams off.  And Garrett Wilson could go high but who knows maybe Jaxon playing so well for Ohio State and being arguably the best WR on the team this year will drop Wilson's stock a bit.  

Daxton Hill is a big time player and not sure Gardner is better than he is overall, Hill can cover and tackle extremely well for a safety.  And Jordan Davis is a beast, but sure is limited and not a ton of teams want a NT.  Jameson Williams could go super high especially if and when he runs well and Leal is a beast at DE.

So not totally sold on Gardner going that high and hopefully he does not considering if he drops a bit could easily be in rare for the Vikings

Teams potentially ahead of the Vikings in need of a corner.  Jets for sure but if they take Stingley great, Giants might need one same with the Panthers but they already spent a ton to get Gilmore and Henderson.  Lions maybe but doubt it would be 2nd overall, and Texans possibly as well but I would assume they got Kyle Hamilton instead.  

Giants for sure could be the biggest issues especially since they would have two picks ahead of us, same with the Jets.  So that could suck if Gardner goes there which sure he might.  Damn even Atlanta as well could take him so that sucks, still he might time slow in the high 4.5 or 4.6 range and if so could hurt his stock also.

Maybe the Vikings will have to go with Daxton Hill if Giants go with Gardner or Davis then Falcons get Gardner.  

I'm actually disappointed that they are getting rid of the Wonderlic.  While it's kinda irrelevant, it was interesting to know how quickly some could think, which is where I think they were going with it.  I'd like for them to develop something similar, even if it is more of a football-related Wonderlic, where they have to diagnose a play.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm actually disappointed that they are getting rid of the Wonderlic.  While it's kinda irrelevant, it was interesting to know how quickly some could think, which is where I think they were going with it.  I'd like for them to develop something similar, even if it is more of a football-related Wonderlic, where they have to diagnose a play.

Honestly, like everything at the combine, it's a box check - if an athlete had a low wonderlic, I'd want to spend some time on the board with them to see if I could check the box that way.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure he gets drafted over Derek Stingley because Stingley's best season was better than Gardner's best but maybe the injuries will scare teams off.   

Daxton Hill is a big time player and not sure Gardner is better than he is overall, Hill can cover and tackle extremely well for a safety. 

Jordan Davis is a beast

So not totally sold on Gardner going that high and hopefully he does not considering if he drops a bit could easily be in rare for the Vikings

Stingley I would say had a better season previously over even what Gardner had this year, but I don't think it was WAY over the top. Injuries are always a fairly high priority in my personal rankings. 

I still would like to see Hill play more of that Derwin James type role. I really would like to see him play safety. His tackling skills where he can come down in the box, while still a monster athlete would be outstanding. 

Jordan Davis is all the way up on #7 on my big board (as of now, I still do use the combine and athletic scores to move around to solve a lot of questions) but he isn't going to go that high I believe. He would look great in the same type roll of Michael Pierce, just even more athletic.... I think. I am really interested in seeing his measurements and explosive numbers.

If Sauce is on the board where the Vikings will be selecting, I would be happy to run to the podium for him. Realistically if we are a top 12 pick, it will be difficult to not look at a CB for us unless a new staff is really looking into adding more talent and weapons to the offense. I don't see any interior offensive lineman being available worth selecting around that area in the draft.

The Wonderlic was fantastic. I guess some people are bad "test takers" but it still made people make quick judgements under pressure.

What I still really wish they did was truly try and find body fat (another thing I'm sure players and the union would whine about). Skin folds would be interesting to actually see were some of these guys sat. If it was allowed you could use it and bring trainers with to check at the combine, Shrine and Senior Bowls, player visits, and even Pro Days. I'm sure teams would actually like to see who is suckin' weight hard to just hit the "perfered" weights and size markers set, and even who is trying to put on weight. 

It's probably not a huge deal but it would be interesting to see on some guys. 

39 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

The Wonderlic was fantastic. I guess some people are bad "test takers" but it still made people make quick judgements under pressure.

What I still really wish they did was truly try and find body fat (another thing I'm sure players and the union would whine about). Skin folds would be interesting to actually see were some of these guys sat. If it was allowed you could use it and bring trainers with to check at the combine, Shrine and Senior Bowls, player visits, and even Pro Days. I'm sure teams would actually like to see who is suckin' weight hard to just hit the "perfered" weights and size markers set, and even who is trying to put on weight. 

It's probably not a huge deal but it would be interesting to see on some guys. 

Apply the Wonderlic to Spielman and all the Vikings Collegiate Scouts.  Please.