2022 Draft Talk

swede700

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Conference record. The Vikings have lost 3 games to each conference, while Washington has only lost 2 games to NFC opponents, and 4 games to AFC opponents. 

That makes sense. Thanks.

Don't foresee it happening though.

11 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Let’s move up for a QB.

Let’s just do it. 

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that we're extending Cousins this offseason. They simply can't afford not to. His cap hit next season is too big not to, unless some team wants to take on his salary and we can trade him. At this point, who would? Maybe Denver, because they can fool themselves into thinking they're just a QB away. But they'll also be in the Rodgers sweepstakes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that we're extending Cousins this offseason

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that Cousins is a damn good QB, and that getting rid of him with the blind hope of finding someone who’s even half as good is just a foolish pursuit. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that Cousins is a damn good QB, and that getting rid of him with the blind hope of finding someone who’s even half as good is just a foolish pursuit. 

Just for context.

22 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Just for context.

And now do a deep dive into the context of those stats. I’m not absolving Cousins in these scenarios, it’s certainly been the biggest area of weakness to his game. But, there are also so many aspects that would go into a stat like this, that unless you do a deep dive into the situations, the stat is almost without merit. 

The Vikings rate 2nd in turnover rate, but are they Cousins’ turnovers? Or all players’? Dalvin Cook’s fumble against Cincinnati would fall under that stat. Are we holding Cousins responsible? 

What’s the play calling been like in those situations? And how does the play calling compare to how other teams approach the situation? Is Cousins airing it out? Or are they handing the ball off with the classic run, run, pass formula that fans have been complaining about for years? 

What has the protection been like in those situations? What’s it been like in comparison to other teams? 

How much does the team’s overly conservative/stunted philosophy towards offense play into a stat like this? 

Another thing to consider, those numbers encompass the entire Cousins era with the Vikings. I’d be curious to see how those numbers rank year to year. Is one year skewing the numbers? Have we seen improvements over the years? 

These questions are just off the quoted section. I have not yet read Arif’s article. 

• Like 1

Cousins is who he is.  He's a damn good QB who will do what you ask him to do, but won't instinctually do what needs to be done even if the situation calls for it if the coaches tell him to do something different.  He doesn't have that "Favre"esque nature to him...even though that's what fans are asking him to do. It's just not in him to do that...and it never will be.  That's what needs to be accepted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

That's what needs to be accepted.

And why they need to find an offensive coach (head coach or coordinator) that understands this, and knows how to work with that understanding. Like McVay did in Washington, and Stefanski/Gary Kubiak did here. 

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Cousins is who he is.  He's a damn good QB who will do what you ask him to do, but won't instinctually do what needs to be done even if the situation calls for it if the coaches tell him to do something different.  He doesn't have that "Favre"esque nature to him...even though that's what fans are asking him to do. It's just not in him to do that...and it never will be.  That's what needs to be accepted.

You are 100% right. Which is why the team seriously need to consider drafting a QB. Kirk with a offensive minded coach with solid weapons and a good OL is a Top 10 QB. However, the NFL is built on figuring you out, taking something away and you adjusting.  A QB doesn't have to be a gunslinger but must be comfortable going off script sometimes.  A QB making what Kirk making on the cap, his limitations and his needs are difficult for most teams. McVay/Ravens scheme got figured out and injuries will happen. This team need to take a risk on a QB who can take control of the team and can function off script. If fail oh well draft again or sign a QB. It's okay to fail than stick in a situation where you 500 win team but not a real SB threat every season.  Vikings need a new leader. Kirk need a fresh start.

Edited by dc_vikingfan

35 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

You are 100% right. Which is why the team seriously need to consider drafting a QB. Kirk with a offensive minded coach with solid weapons and a good OL is a Top 10 QB. However, the NFL is built on figuring you out, taking something away and you adjusting.  A QB doesn't have to be a gunslinger but must be comfortable going off script sometimes.  A QB making what Kirk making on the cap, his limitations and his needs are difficult for most teams. McVay/Ravens scheme got figured out and injuries will happen. This team need to take a risk on a QB who can take control of the team and can function off script. If fail oh well draft again or sign a QB. It's okay to fail than stick in a situation where you 500 win team but not a real SB threat every season.  Vikings need a new leader. Kirk need a fresh start.

And who is going to be available to draft at our pick that will be an upgrade? How are we going to get out Cousins' $45,000,000 cap hit next year if we don't extend him? How are we going to maintain a team with Cousins taking up $45,000,000 of the cap? 

The writing was on the wall with Cousins' last extension: he's here util he's 36 or 37. 

I want a young QB too, but we aren't taking one in the first round this year. Not likely to next year. 

At this point, we just need to hope that $190 million over his career is enough for Kirk to give us a discount so we can put more players and depth around him. 

I firmly believe that Kirk on a reasonable contract can win us a Super Bowl. Kirk on a Top 3-5 contract...my confidence is less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

And who is going to be available to draft at our pick that will be an upgrade? How are we going to get out Cousins' $45,000,000 cap hit next year if we don't extend him? How are we going to maintain a team with Cousins taking up $45,000,000 of the cap? 

The writing was on the wall with Cousins' last extension: he's here util he's 36 or 37. 

I want a young QB too, but we aren't taking one in the first round this year. Not likely to next year. 

At this point, we just need to hope that $190 million over his career is enough for Kirk to give us a discount so we can put more players and depth around him. 

I firmly believe that Kirk on a reasonable contract can win us a Super Bowl. Kirk on a Top 3-5 contract...my confidence is less. 

This team isn’t sniffing a super bowl with the current general philosophy and terrible defense. Just don’t know how long it will take to remedy this and if Cousins will still be playing at a high level.