2022 Draft Talk

swede700

Just now, CWood21 said:

I went back the last 20 or so years and I don't recall any skill position with a season-ending injury being taken in the first round when you knew they were going to be out for the year.  Usually, it's only QBs that teams are willing to punt the rookie years.

I did about the same thing last night in just my wiki search. While the recoveries have been successful, on ACL's, typically it would still be nice to see how they move and recover. Should be interesting to see how this actually plays out.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I did about the same thing last night in just my wiki search. While the recoveries have been successful, on ACL's, typically it would still be nice to see how they move and recover. Should be interesting to see how this actually plays out.

LIS, I think late first is his peak.  If you thought he was a top 10 pick pre-injury, I could see a team in the backend of the first round take a shot on him knowing they're probably not going to get an opportunity to draft someone like that.  Think Kansas City, Arizona, etc.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I could see a team in the backend of the first round take a shot on him 

I wouldn't be shocked at all, even a team moving up to grab him. If it pans out and he isn't ready for half the season, you still have that extra year option on the backend of the deal. high talent.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I wouldn't be shocked at all, even a team moving up to grab him. If it pans out and he isn't ready for half the season, you still have that extra year option on the backend of the deal. high talent.

I mean, I think it's one of those "if he falls to us" kind of situation.  I'm not sure anyone is using extra draft capital to move up to get him.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I went back the last 20 or so years and I don't recall any skill position with a season-ending injury being taken in the first round when you knew they were going to be out for the year.  Usually, it's only QBs that teams are willing to punt the rookie years.

Willis McGahee - 2003 - 1st Rnd, Pk 23

From Wikipedia;

"In the early part of the fourth quarter during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game, McGahee suffered an injury after catching a screen pass from Dorsey. He was immediately hit by Buckeye safety Will Allen, bending his left knee backwards and causing tears of the ACL, PCL, and MCL."

It was absolutely known at the time he wouldn't play for the first year.

Not sure I can think of any others off hand, but was an easy one for me to remember.

EDIT ADD:

If I'm remembering correctly, Adrian Peterson also had some concerns about missing time (not the entire season though) with his collar bone injury against Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl the year he came out.

I'm not making any statements here regarding whether you should or shouldnt draft an injured player in the first round, just stating a couple examples I was able to remember. I feel like there was also a defensive player or two with some injuries late in the college season that were 1st rounders as well.

Personally I think now it just depends on the talent of the player, what your team doctors say regarding recovery and what spot in the 1st round you're talking about. Outside of the top 15, I think some of those "top 10" talents that slide due to injuries become worthy of consideration if there isnt some other major need/BPA fit. I also wouldn't do it if I'm a GM or coach on the hot seat either... you want guys that will actually play for you, not another staff.

Edited by Ares Caesar
Additional comments
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Im on the Matt Corral hype train. Anyone else high on Corral?

IF we select a QB in round 1. BUT waiting till the end of round 1 or the top of round 2 could be the ticket this year. To me, a few guys will slip to that range that probably have as much potential as the top guy. 

Right now for me its:

1. Matt Corral
2. Carson Strong
3. Kenny Pickett (small hands?)
4. Sam Howell
5. Malik Willis (highest potential?)

In the 2nd round? Sure. But I’m not touching any of this year’s QBs at #12

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

What position do you think the Vikings should absolutely not draft in the first round this year?
What is the #1 position of need?

Is the question “1st round” or “at #12”?

First round, I’d say RB. At #12, I’d say QB. 

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

What position do you think the Vikings should absolutely not draft in the first round this year?
What is the #1 position of need?

#1 position for me is on the EDGE, best way to help with the run and pass defense.

Position that we shouldn't draft in the first round (ever) running back.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

#1 position for me is on the EDGE, best way to help with the run and pass defense.

Position that we shouldn't draft in the first round (ever) running back.

CB is a close #2.

Id also throw WR in the mix as do not draft. Liking the trio of Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn. Might need to add another in the mid rounds given Thielens injury history, just don’t see a need for another high profile WR.

My draft position preference (assuming player value adds up):

QB, 3-down DL, OL, 3-down Rush OLB

I’m interested in 3-down players closest to the LOS, where I feel there are higher impact plays available to them (throws, run/pass protection, sacks, pressures, forced TOs)

Edited by CriminalMind

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Thinking about it...

CB probably should be higher than we think.

Cam Danzler & Kris Boyd would be our starting CB

DE almost looks better with Hunter, Wonnum, and the couple rookies from last year.

CB is my #2, but with the run AND pass defense having issues, Wonnum not showing to be anything more than a rotational rusher that's a negative against the run (IMO), and questions with Hunter's health and contract.  This is also a relatively deep corner draft from what I'm reading.

Trenches, trenches, trenches until they're fixed, and then trenches some more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Really think you're sleeping hard on Karlaftis.  Ojabo has the helium going on for him right now, so he's probably EDGE3 especially for majority of the defenses with odd fronts.  Even fronts probably prefer Karlaftis.

Maybe but in no way is Karlaftis better than Leal or even Travon Walker.  So I would take both of those guys over him, and maybe he is this great athlete but what happens when he runs a 4.9 40?  

Vikings take him at #12 I think that is a reach and possibly a mistake.  But sure maybe I underrate him a little but in such a deep class he has a lot of competition.  

Could argue someone like Boye Mafe is just as good as Karlaftis and no one is talking about him as a 1st round pick.  Or look at guys like Sam Williams or Jermaine Johnson, both had great seasons and were wildly productive, they could be 1st round picks as well and few talk about them as such.  But less Baldonado but I think he returns to Pitt but will see.  Ebiketie was amazing this year as well, Karlaftis I had that high perseason but others I feel kind of passed him in terms of production and dominant play game in and game out.  

There isn’t an offense player I would be looking at with pick 12 (either need or BPA) as things stand now.  I would be hoping a higher defense talent would fall  such as Stingley, Hamilton, or Karlaftis.  At twelve it would be bpa from Leal, Ojibwe, Dean, Elam, Gardner, Booth, etc.   From that group I would probably trade down if possible and pick up one later or maybe an offensive talent