2022 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

CB is a more critical & tougher position to play than LB. Which is why the good ones are so hard to come by. Every team has a good LB, but not every team has a lockdown corner. 

I don't think you guys are understanding me.

Yes, if there is a corner that is graded out as a top tier lock down corner, then select him. But right now I do not see that. I am just saying if you have a CB that is being graded as just an above avg corner compared to a potential all pro LB, why select the cb in this scenario? It'll be like taking a trae waynes over a roquan smith.

23 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I don't think you guys are understanding me.

Yes, if there is a corner that is graded out as a top tier lock down corner, then select him. But right now I do not see that. I am just saying if you have a CB that is being graded as just an above avg corner compared to a potential all pro LB, why select the cb in this scenario? It'll be like taking a trae waynes over a roquan smith.

I’m guessing you haven’t seen Ahmad Gardner’s or Derek Stingley’s game tape. Those two guys are lock down corners. I get what you mean but the argument is, if there’s a top tier CB and top tier LB, you almost always take the CB. The reason why is because that’s a more important position than LB. On defense, LB and Safety are the least important positions. Meaning if you don’t have an all-pro LB or safety, but instead you have an all-pro DE and CB, then you most likely have a great defense. 

Edited by Purplepride323

52 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

our LB depth is just as bad as our cornerback depth. 

We aren't going to go into the draft with our current CB group; there will be additions, subtractions, etc. Same for the LB. Your analogy is dramatic because a team with a great QB isn't going to be in position to take a QB that is graded out as a can't miss prospect....unless you have that great QB hurt all year and your team sucks so much you get the #1 pick (see Colts Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning Situation).

But I'm of the mindset you take the all pro and worry about it later. You want to have the best football players.

If your argument is that they are going to sign 1-2 starting CBs, then sure, the situation changes. Right now? It is dire.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Sauce wasn't challenged very much in college. I really need to see testing numbers from him before I'm fully on board with this.

You can say that he wasn't challenged much, but he never gave up a TD in college, period.  That's impressive by any standard...and that includes games vs. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State.

• Like 3

Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT should be a target for the Vikings at 12.  Dude could be a mauler at OG and has great feet so he would really improve the interior pass protection.  Also could play LT if Darrisaw cannot hang out there, then move Darrisaw inside.  

Thought if Gardner was gone Ekwonu could be a great 2nd option, originally thought Cross if he worked out well but Cross cannot play OG. Ekwonu provides much needed versatility and talent to the OL.  And outside of Leal there could not be a ton of pass rush end talent at that spot and could be better waiting till the 2nd to address the DL but that could be a gamble.

Sure ideal would be Gardner at CB but Atlanta might easily take him, that or the Jets if they do not take Stingley before that.  Yeah gets lame drafting OL all the time but not sure the board will fall any different unless Vikings are interesting in a WR or a LB which might be the case but kind of doubt it.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT should be a target for the Vikings at 12.  Dude could be a mauler at OG and has great feet so he would really improve the interior pass protection.  Also could play LT if Darrisaw cannot hang out there, then move Darrisaw inside.  

Thought if Gardner was gone Ekwonu could be a great 2nd option, originally thought Cross if he worked out well but Cross cannot play OG. Ekwonu provides much needed versatility and talent to the OL.  And outside of Leal there could not be a ton of pass rush end talent at that spot and could be better waiting till the 2nd to address the DL but that could be a gamble.

Sure ideal would be Gardner at CB but Atlanta might easily take him, that or the Jets if they do not take Stingley before that.  Yeah gets lame drafting OL all the time but not sure the board will fall any different unless Vikings are interesting in a WR or a LB which might be the case but kind of doubt it.  

A lot of mocks I've seen recently have Ekwonu jumping Neal.  Might be a 1A/1B depending on team's preference but I don't think Ekwonu makes it to 12.

5 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

A lot of mocks I've seen recently have Ekwonu jumping Neal.  Might be a 1A/1B depending on team's preference but I don't think Ekwonu makes it to 12.

Jumping Neal?  That is just stupid, Ekwonu is good but he is not that good, Neal is bigger, more powerful and longer, sure was playing out of position at LT this year but he is a freak show physically.  

Ekwonu is good but again I think he is a OG, if he is put at LT he might have some issues potentially but will see how he works out.    But yeah I would take Neal all day long over Ekwonu as a OG or a RT, that guy can move people.  

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jumping Neal?  That is just stupid, Ekwonu is good but he is not that good, Neal is bigger, more powerful and longer, sure was playing out of position at LT this year but he is a freak show physically.  

Ekwonu is good but again I think he is a OG, if he is put at LT he might have some issues potentially but will see how he works out.    But yeah I would take Neal all day long over Ekwonu as a OG or a RT, that guy can move people.  

He's gonna push Neal for OT1.  Probably a top 10 pick.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's gonna push Neal for OT1.  Probably a top 10 pick.

Even if he doesn't jump Neal, Houston, NYG, NYJ (2x), Carolina, amd Washington could all be in the market for a OT so Ekwonu will likely be snatched up.

So Stingley (maaaaybe 🥴) , Gardner, or  Booth are easily likely candidates at 12

Edit:  Leal also possible.  Would be interesting to see if they'd have him as full time DT or move him around

Edited by NoDakViking

13 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Even if he doesn't jump Neal, Houston, NYG, NYJ (2x), Carolina, amd Washington could all be in the market for a OT so Ekwonu will likely be snatched up.

So Stingley (maaaaybe 🥴) , Gardner, or  Booth are easily likely candidates at 12

Edit:  Leal also possible.  Would be interesting to see if they'd have him as full time DT or move him around

Stingley is going off the board early unless he absolutely bombs the athletic testing and/or isn't cleared medically.  I really don't see any way he's falling outside the top 10.  He's clearly CB1 in this year's class, and that's from someone who likes Sauce Gardner.  I think you could have Detroit, Houston, NY Jets, Atlanta, and Denver who would all seriously consider him.  Sauce seems like a natural fit for Minnesota.  It'll be interesting the FO/HC combo that Minnesota hires.  Might get an idea which way they'll go.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

True Giants might be interested in Ekwonu and since they have two picks could easily take him with one of those.  Carolina could as well, doubt Washington would and Houston I have going with Neal at #3.  Real thing is do these teams think he could be a OG, sure hope he would not be a LT, could maybe do it but could be a beast a OG right off the bat and maybe transition out.  

Giants does make a lot of sense though I guess, especially if they go OLB type with the other selection.

Ekwonu is a great looking athlete, really good in space and I like his power but they did not play a ton of great pass rushers in the ACC this year.  Myles Murphy on Clemson I guess and then Jermaine Johnson on Florida State who did beat Ekwonu a few times in that game but never did get home for a sack.  

Either way that is fine because honestly CB is the bigger need and if they get Gardner even better.  Booth is a stretch at 12th overall unless he is some sub 4.3 athlete with 35" vertical which I doubt, he is good but not sure he is that good to be picked that high.  

With the lack of top end talent in this draft, and the bulk of the talent grouped in the middle, I can really see the new GM targeting those 2-4 rounds to help rebuild this team.

If KAM becomes the GM, I 99% expect a trade down from 12, re-coup that lost 4th rounder, and a lot of maneuvering to where the bulk of the talent is. 

I think we should prepare to not pick at 12, but probably in the early 20s eventually. 

36 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

With the lack of top end talent in this draft, and the bulk of the talent grouped in the middle, I can really see the new GM targeting those 2-4 rounds to help rebuild this team.

If KAM becomes the GM, I 99% expect a trade down from 12, re-coup that lost 4th rounder, and a lot of maneuvering to where the bulk of the talent is. 

I think we should prepare to not pick at 12, but probably in the early 20s eventually. 

I think the opposite with him honestly. He’s going to use his picks to find value. I’d actually see Poles trying to do more moving.