2022 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Pettine isn't actually a bad DC.  His last 2 years in Green Bay, their defense was on average the 11th ranked defense and averaged 19.6 PPG in 2019 and 23.1 PPG in 2020.  This year, Green Bay allowed 21.8 PPG.  This year, Green Bay had 26 takeaways (18 INTs and 8 fumbles).  In 2020, they had 18 takeaways and in 2019 they had 25 takeaways.  I would argue that Barry probably did more with less given the injuries.

Obviously he did more with less and it is not really an argument, yeah and this past year they were missing their best CB and best OLB and it did not matter as much as if should have.  

In 2021 they were 9th best in total yards given up per game which is pretty good, 10th best in passing yards allow per game, and 11th best in rushing yards allow per game.  Sure 14th in points allow per game in the NFL but they were a top tear defense and considering the injuries that was very impressive.  Having a guy like Rashan Gary just sitting in the wings helps as did his production and play but still those injuries were massive and they did not miss a beat.  Rasul Douglas was insanely good for them and if they had those injured players all year clearly they would have been even better.  

Still compared to Sean Desai and Vic Fangio, yeah Pettine is nothing special in my book.  Sure would not be awful if Desai and Fangio are not available but as of right now they are.

17 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Don't kill the messenger lol.  I had the same reaction as you when I first heard it.  Again, just a rumor but would be interested to see the roster turnover with different scheme regardless.

OLB Danielle Hunter / Everson Griffen 
DE Michael Pierce / James Lynch / Jaylen Twyman
NT Dalvin Tomlinson / Jordon Scott
DE Sheldon Richardson / Armon Watts
OLB DJ Wonnum / Janarius Robinson / Chazz Surratt

ILB Eric Kendricks  Chazz Surratt
ILB Blake Lynch / Troy Dye

Really only issues could be Kenny Willekes and Patrick Jones do not fit the best in a 3/4 scheme.  But Griffen could if they brought him back, so could Sheldon Richardson if they brought him back.  Jordon Scott would fit great at NT and Tomlinson is probably better in a 3/4 considering how he looked last year in a 4/3, Pierce can do it obviously as well and James Lynch is probably better in a 3/4 and was in college.

Robinson could hang on the edge no problem, same with Wonnum so not sure there would be a ton of turnover.  Maybe bring in a more physical ILB opposite Kendricks and maybe add a OLB, just a matter of maybe not a fit with Willekes but he has a high motor just not sure he could hang in space that well.  

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

MN goes to the playoffs this year with an 11th ranked defense and 20 points per game. 

I'd be inclined to agree.  Although, I'm not sure even the best DC would be able to field lack of bodies at corner.

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

And DE.

I think CB is worse.  You could always give Hunter his big roster bonus and pray he stays healthy and Wonnum could shore up his run defense and/or rotate with Willekes and hope Jones and Robinson develop.  

If Peterson walks you're left with Dantzler, Hand, and Boyd.  That's pretty awful.

• Like 2

Just now, NoDakViking said:

I think CB is worse.  You could always give Hunter his big roster bonus and pray he stays healthy and Wonnum could shore up his run defense and/or rotate with Willekes and hope Jones and Robinson develop.  

If Peterson walks you're left with Dantzler, Hand, and Boyd.  That's pretty awful.

CB is definitely worse overall, but the impact of edge rushers can’t be ignored.

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

CB is definitely worse overall, but the impact of edge rushers can’t be ignored.

Agreed on edge impact, but weren't we 2nd in the league in sacks?  And that's without Hunter for a majority of the year.  I think Griffen should retire tbh.  Focus on his health.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Must have imagined all those coverage sacks over the years. They have zero legit starting CBs. They need at least two.

Coverage sacks are hard to come by. And they sure as hell aren’t something you game plan for. 

A quarterback with less time to throw is far more inefficient and ineffective than a quarterback with more time to throw. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Coverage sacks are hard to come by. And they sure as hell aren’t something you game plan for. 

A quarterback with less time to throw is far more inefficient and ineffective than a quarterback with more time to throw. 

Agreed, but you can't have zero CBs. No matter who the DL is.

• Like 1

With K/O coming over with probably a version of the Rams offense, 3 wide sets will probably be the norm. I think right now, the Vikings WR room is...not bad. JJ, AT, Osborn, ISM is ok. I think when you factor in AT's injury history and his age, it becomes more of a concern. I imagine they will draft a WR this year, maybe even a day 2 pick! Fortunately, this is a nice WR draft class with depth through the middle rounds. Some of my favorite day potential day 2 picks:

David Bell

Christian Watson

George PIckens

Wan"Dale Robinson

Khalil Shakur

Jalen Tolbert