2022 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Trent Mcduffie. Ugh. I get in so many Twitter fights every day over baby T. rex arms Mcduffie 

Yeah he seems like a slot guy to me. I think he’s the most overrated CB in this class, and I even think his teammate Kyler Gordon is better. His biggest weakness for me is that once he gets a decent block on him, even by a WR, he isn’t good at disengaging. I saw a lot of reps where the WR blocking him takes him out of the play completely. That might be because of his shorter arms or maybe he’s not as strong as some of these other guys.

I like Stingley’s game tape a lot more. The guy has nearly zero flaws to his game. Critics say that he’s injury prone and that he’s only played in 10 games within the past two years, completely forgetting that LSU cancelled half of their 2020 season due to COVID. I get that he’s had a Lisfranc injury, but this is football. Injuries happen and athletes rehab. This is not something out of the ordinary. I like Sauce Gardner a lot but I’d take Stingley over him. Mainly because of the ball skills. That’s the difference maker for me. Stingley’s ball skills are so good that QBs will be afraid to throw it his way. He’s like a WR but he plays defense. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah he seems like a slot guy to me. I think he’s the most overrated CB in this class, and I even think his teammate Kyler Gordon is better. His biggest weakness for me is that once he gets a decent block on him, even by a WR, he isn’t good at disengaging. I saw a lot of reps where the WR blocking him takes him out of the play completely. That might be because of his shorter arms or maybe he’s not as strong as some of these other guys.

I like Stingley’s game tape a lot more. The guy has nearly zero flaws to his game. Critics say that he’s injury prone and that he’s only played in 10 games within the past two years, completely forgetting that LSU cancelled half of their 2020 season due to COVID. I get that he’s had a Lisfranc injury, but this is football. Injuries happen and athletes rehab. This is not something out of the ordinary. I like Sauce Gardner a lot but I’d take Stingley over him. Mainly because of the ball skills. That’s the difference maker for me. Stingley’s ball skills are so good that QBs will be afraid to throw it his way. He’s like a WR but he plays defense. 

It would be great if the Vikings got either one and honestly it is not that big of a deal which one.  Either one of them would be ideal situation.  Gardner never gave up a TD in his entire college career and he played way more games than Stingley Jr, he played in 33 career games at Cincinnati.  And the dude has outstanding ball skills, but sure is hard to ignore Stingley Jr as a freshman but he was not been like that for awhile.

Still either dude on the roster would be great.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think we'll need to trade up for Stingley.

Otherwise, we might be stuck with McDuffie, who already fits the mold of the corners we already have on the roster (Sullivan and Hand being NBs).

And I agree nickel CB is not nearly as big of a need as boundary.  Mind you not sure Harrison Hand has shown he can be a good nickel CB what so ever, I wish they would have transitioned him to safety already and it was a surprise he did not play way more last year with the suspect corner play they had.  So if he cannot play over those dudes that says something about his possible lack of ability.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

How so? They haven't even made a draft pick yet. 

Trust the process until they give you reason not to.

free agency was pretty much the same.

And right, I understand everything now is lying season. But if they do pick McDuffie over Stingley and whoever, he's pretty similar to Mike Hughes.

I guess my biggest issue with McDuffie is the lack of historical precedent and comparables of cbs with his physical traits, translating to the nfl and being successful pro bowl boundary corners.

Everyone drops Jaire Alexander, but Jaire had almost an inch and a half on McDuffie in arm length. 

I just keep coming back to his in my mind:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think we'll need to trade up for Stingley.

Otherwise, we might be stuck with McDuffie, who already fits the mold of the corners we already have on the roster (Sullivan and Hand being NBs).

If the new regime does intend to trade up, Carolina is the spot to trade up to, as they have no picks until the 4th round after the one at #6.  It would likely cost the Vikings their 2nd rd pick as well (which I'd actually be fine with), but there's probably some other options to recoup some other picks, likely by trading back in the 3rd.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If the new regime does intend to trade up, Carolina is the spot to trade up to, as they have no picks until the 4th round after the one at #6.  It would likely cost the Vikings their 2nd rd pick as well (which I'd actually be fine with), but there's probably some other options to recoup some other picks, likely by trading back in the 3rd.  

I can't see the Vikings trading  up, they lack the draft pick capital. If you do that, and then you trade back from 77 to recoup some picks, you are going to pick at 6, and then not get another player til when, 90? 100? There are a lot of starters you are missing out on in between. For a team that has a lot of bloated veteran contracts, it doesn't seem very smart.

1 minute ago, Hamsterdam said:

Interesting that Dane Bruegler has McDuffie > Stingley in his "The Beast" draft guide.

It’s not surprising. McDuffie is almost surgical with his technique, and his tape over the past couple of years is far better than Stingley’s. Stingley is still riding that freshman tape. 

If McDuffie had longer arms, he might be a serious top 10 candidate. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not surprising. McDuffie is almost surgical with his technique, and his tape over the past couple of years is far better than Stingley’s. Stingley is still riding that freshman tape. 

If McDuffie had longer arms, he might be a serious top 10 candidate. 

That was pretty much his justification.

Overall, McDuffie might not hit ideal size thresholds for some, but he is an easy sell in draft rooms because he has outstanding athleticism, intelligence and is well-schooled in various techniques. He has a high ceiling and a high floor and should start as an NFL rookie.

vs

Overall, Stingley needs to stay on the field (missed more games the last two years than he played because of injuries), but he is a top-tier athlete with the man-coverage skills and ball instincts to stay attached on an island. He projects as a Pro Bowl-level NFL starter if he stays healthy.

3 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I'm going to take another go around at McDuffie's cut ups; gunna try to talk myself into it.

I think it's funny, new regime....almost the same philosophy lol.

Same philosophy? What are you talking about? They haven't even made a draft pick yet lol. You're talking like they already drafted McDuffie and he's our #2 corner.