2022 Draft Talk

swede700

A favorite of many people here for us at 12 I'm not sure he has a good enough pass rush game to be the best available.

Also I think Harrison Philips is a pure nose and feel he isn't an ideal fit as a DE in 3-4 defense.

Edited by solidvikingfan

7 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Kiper 3 round mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33761722/three-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-predict-top-105-picks-alternating-all-32-teams

12 - Stingley

44 - TE Trey McBride (interesting)

77 - DeMarvin Leal DL (probably 3-4 base end)

Thoughts on this? This is interesting! I figured Vikings would nab a TE in this draft; but I think more an inline guy later on. 

That would be almost ideal, would love McBride at TE and he could start over Irv Smith potentially and is arguably the best TE in the draft.  I seriously doubt Leal falls that far but the dude can play and could be a beast in a 3/4 as a pass rusher.  This 3 round draft would be almost ideal, get Stingley, get McBride and get Leal.  Would be awesome haul but not ever likely.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m fairly confident in the top 7 players/positions off the board. Not so confident in which order they go. 

1. Hutchinson 
2. Walker
3. Ekwonu
4. Gardner
5. Neal
6. Quarterback
7. Thibodeaux 

8 and 9 is where I get hung up because this is where I’m expecting a “surprise” pick.

If Evan Neal falls that far that would be a total insult, the dude can play and no clue how he would fall but have seen some say he will.  If so Vikings should go up and get him if he is in the 9-11 range.  Evan Neal honestly should be the #1 pick overall, dude could be a monster OG or RT.  

Kyle Hamilton fall though would be great, would not mind him at #12 or Stingley Jr of course.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

That would be almost ideal, would love McBride at TE and he could start over Irv Smith potentially and is arguably the best TE in the draft.  I seriously doubt Leal falls that far but the dude can play and could be a beast in a 3/4 as a pass rusher.  This 3 round draft would be almost ideal, get Stingley, get McBride and get Leal.  Would be awesome haul but not ever likely.  

Never say never. I’ve seen crazier things happen in the draft, like Aaron Rodgers falling to the 24th pick. Same with Justin Jefferson. Stingley Jr. at 12 would be a steal and would instantly make him our best corner since maybe Carl Lee. 

so Trent McDuffie. I am trying to understand. Some of the heavy hitters and where they have McDuffie on their OVERAL big board:

Lance Zierlein - 7th

Daniel Jeremiah - 12th

Dane Brugler - 12th

PFF - 11th

ESPN  (maybe aggregate)- 14th

Mel Kiper - 15th

Matt Miller - 20th

The Ringer - 12th

CBS (Ryan Wilson) - 13th

SI.com - 23

B/R (Nate Tice and co) - 19th

These people are a lot smarter then me when it comes to the NFL draft, and a lot of them LOVE McDuffie. 

14 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Never say never. I’ve seen crazier things happen in the draft, like Aaron Rodgers falling to the 24th pick. Same with Justin Jefferson. Stingley Jr. at 12 would be a steal and would instantly make him our best corner since maybe Carl Lee. 

Aaron Rodgers falling to #24 wasn't that crazy at the time (even though some will disagree).  It was widely known that whoever wasn't taken at #1 between he and Alex Smith, that the other would precipitously fall, because hardly anyone in the top 15-20 needed a QB.  What was crazy was Randy Moss falling to #21.  He was widely considered a top 5 pick, and lots of teams in the top 20 needed WRs...and even the Oilers/soon to be Titans took Kevin Dyson before him.  

The craziest thing I ever saw was Ditka trading the entire draft for Ricky Williams, but still the most entertaining was the "Who the hell is Mel Kiper" rant.  Nothing will ever beat that, even nearly 30 years later.

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, why don’t you like McDuffie?

1. the lack of length concerns me. There is hardly any historical precedent for good boundary corners with sub 30 inch arm lengths. 

2. The very limited ball production in college (INTs + PDs). Maybe that's due to the lack of length. In 27 college games, combined 10 ints+pds. For comparison, Gardner has 25 in 33 games, Stingley 26 in 25 games, Booth 14 in 25 games.

3. Everyone says he's a safe prospect because worst case scenario, just put him in the slot and he'll thrive! Ok, that's fine, but that is just a pure projection. We've actually never saw him play the slot in college on a consistent basis. 

2021 total snaps: 702; 2021 total SLOT snaps: 12

2020 total snaps: 242; 2020 total SLOT snaps: 6

2019 total snaps: 752; 2019 total SLOT snaps: 20

With that all said, he's a graceful mover; so light on his feet, he's like a ballerina out there. He's a very sure tackle, and his football IQ and instincts are off the charts. He can flip his hips and change direction with the best of them.

I think if you can give me a list of boundary CBs that have made the pro bowl with sub 30 inch arms, it would make me feel better about his game translating to the NFL.