2022 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

If we don't love the options at 12,  I'd say try trade down a bit and take Booth

I would be very happy with that outcome were it to happen.

Where does Elam factor in? Late 1st, early 2nd?

Seems to be a clear ranking of the projected round 1 CBs:

Tier 1: Sauce/Stingley/McDuffie
Tier 2: Booth Jr./Elam

55 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

1. the lack of length concerns me. There is hardly any historical precedent for good boundary corners with sub 30 inch arm lengths

And what’s the sample size? Is it even big enough to draw any definitive conclusion that arm length alone was the deciding factor as to whether or not they succeeded or failed? 

McDuffie’s arms are one quarter of an inch under 30”. Are we really supposed to believe that less than half the length of his fingernail is the difference maker between being successful or not? 

Does his lack of length show up negatively on film? Is it something that hinders his ability to play his position? I’m guessing no simply based on how highly he’s ranked throughout the draft community.

Derek Stingley, the hottest name for the Vikings this year, has arms that are less than one inch longer than McDuffie’s, yet his length is never brought up. There’s no way that anyone is going to get me to believe that the width of a nickel is the difference between being able to play outside or being relegated to playing inside. 

55 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

2. The very limited ball production in college (INTs + PDs). Maybe that's due to the lack of length. In 27 college games, combined 10 ints+pds. For comparison, Gardner has 25 in 33 games, Stingley 26 in 25 games, Booth 14 in 25 games.

And how often was he targeted? What was the completion percentage or passer rating against him? 

If he’s not being targeted, which I would view as a positive, then his opportunities are less and his numbers would naturally be lower. If he’s not allowing completions, or he’s not allowing touchdowns, then why does it matter whether he’s getting a hand on the ball or not? 

I’m not exactly a proponent of McDuffie’s, but I do think that his physical stature is being overly scrutinized compared to what he’s put on tape. Which is all too common this time of year. 

I, personally, have McDuffie as my 4th ranked cornerback. But from what I’ve watched, I have yet to see any reason to doubt his ability to play outside in the NFL. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, SemperFeist said:

I’m fairly confident in the top 7 players/positions off the board. Not so confident in which order they go. 

1. Hutchinson 
2. Walker
3. Ekwonu
4. Gardner
5. Neal
6. Quarterback
7. Thibodeaux 

8 and 9 is where I get hung up because this is where I’m expecting a “surprise” pick.

Hutch seems to be a foregone conclusion at 1, but I really do think the Walker smoke is real.  I think they'll end up going Hutch at 1, but I think there's more discussion then there's being let on.  Thibs has been linked to Detroit since the middle of the season.  I don't believe all the disinformation that's been thrown out there in recent weeks.  Texans have been linked to Neal for a while now, so it seems like that's the heavy favorite there.  Think Sauce Gardner and Travon Walker are possibilities there as well.  Think Jets comes down to OT and EDGE.  Heard the FO and coaching staff is split betewen Ikey and Thibs (if he's there).  NY Giants want Sauce badly IMO, so if he gets past Houston the Giants will take him.  Otherwise, go OT.  If Carolina doesn't trade down, it's going to be an OT IMO.  I think QB makes sense, but with the lack of draft picks until the fourth it seems unwise.  7 seems to be OT if they don't take one at 5, or EDGE if they take on at 5.

Atlanta is probably either Jameson Williams or Malik Willis.  Seattle probably is the first real "surprise" pick, and Trevor Penning fits their mold.

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Aaron Rodgers falling to #24 wasn't that crazy at the time (even though some will disagree).  It was widely known that whoever wasn't taken at #1 between he and Alex Smith, that the other would precipitously fall, because hardly anyone in the top 15-20 needed a QB.  What was crazy was Randy Moss falling to #21.  He was widely considered a top 5 pick, and lots of teams in the top 20 needed WRs...and even the Oilers/soon to be Titans took Kevin Dyson before him.  

The craziest thing I ever saw was Ditka trading the entire draft for Ricky Williams, but still the most entertaining was the "Who the hell is Mel Kiper" rant.  Nothing will ever beat that, even nearly 30 years later.

Good times. The NFL draft is the most entertaining draft in sports, no doubt. I think it’s because of the controversial players, executives and Mel Kiper. McShay is cool too but Kiper is a beast. He has information on players that some scouts don’t even know about. I was too young for the Harbaugh and Moss drafts but watching the YouTube videos on that are still entertaining til this day. Can’t wait for the 28th. 

10 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Good times. The NFL draft is the most entertaining draft in sports, no doubt. I think it’s because of the controversial players, executives and Mel Kiper. McShay is cool too but Kiper is a beast. He has information on players that some scouts don’t even know about. I was too young for the Harbaugh and Moss drafts but watching the YouTube videos on that are still entertaining til this day. Can’t wait for the 28th. 

It’s also because NHL and MLB draftees won’t see the majors for 5 years after they’re drafted and most guys taken after pick 15 in the NBA draft never make a mark. 

That said, the NFL has nailed the spectacle aspect of it, and knowing that there are 6th and 7th round picks every year that contribute in meaningful ways helps keep interest. 

• Like 3