2021 Schedule

onejayhawk

11 hours ago, pf9 said:

I mean it's a travesty that Dallas got three SNF appearances despite having a losing record last year but Miami didn't get any despite barely missing the playoffs.

Lifes not fair, just got deal with it ... change what you can, ignore what you can't

22 hours ago, pf9 said:

Also the NFL should realign the divisions to be more geographically accurate which would involve the Cowboys playing alongside Atlanta, New Orleans and Tampa Bay in the NFC South.

Tom Brady is a more marketable name than any QB on NYG, PHI, or WAS.

The NFL is bonkers in its alignment. Agreed that Dallas should be in the south.

And the argument should have nothing to do with "marketability" of players. That comes and goes over time. Geography doesn't

16 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Now here is a gauntlet. Ben gonna need a senzu after this one.

Steelers fans will manage to complain about the difficulty of their end of season schedule, while failing to acknowledge that the comparative ease of the earlier portion of their schedule will be what gets them off to a better start in the first place

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pf9 said:

Jacksonville should also be playing at the LA Rams on Thanksgiving night as a reward for drafting Trevor Lawrence.

I mean, teams should be rewarded with primetime games based on who they draft sometimes.

The one night game they have is an NFLN exclusive. I was hoping for the last year of TNF on Fox that teams don't get sent to NFLN-exclusive TNF games as punishment for having a bad record last year.

At least with TNF going to Amazon Prime, the playing field will be leveled.

I generally agree with this point - but give me Lawrence/Burrow instead if that is your logic

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Feel like I read this comment a 100 times after Josh Allens rookie season. Rookie QB seasons are meaningless. Good or bad. They are usually not an indicator of anything. Some of the best QBs of all time had the absolute worst rookie seasons in history. And some of the worst QBs of all time, had the some of the best rookie QB seasons in history. 

Who are examples of the latter that didnt involve injuries? Like RG3

OK, when the Cowboys went 5-11 in 2000, in 2001, which was 20 years ago, they only got 2 primetime games - SNF at Philly and MNF VS. Washington.

So if the NFL was willing to not put Dallas in primetime more than two times in 2001, then certainly they are capable of that in 2021. The Cowboys were so bad last year they got flexed out of an NBC SNF slot for the first time ever, keeping the famed 49ers-Cowboys rivalry out of the eyes of Al Michaels once again (it was never on MNF during the Frank and Al and Dan era, nor when Michaels and John Madden were paired, even though Madden called this rivalry multiple times with CBS and Fox).

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Feel like I read this comment a 100 times after Josh Allens rookie season.

And you probably read the same comment 200 times after Mitch's rookie season too. 

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Rookie QB seasons are meaningless. Good or bad. They are usually not an indicator of anything.

I strongly disagree with rookie seasons being meaningless.  Does a rookie season performance mean a player has reached his ceiling....ofcourse not. But it does offer some insight into where a player's strength and weaknesses stand at the NFL level (aka which qualities did or did not transfer well from College) and what he needs to improve upon in order to take the next step. 

Just that bit of info at least gives us a baseline to work off of moving forward and gives us sorta of an idea of what to expect in yr 2.

That said, I get the jist of what you're saying in general here (don't judge a QB based on 1 yr) and I agree wholeheartedly. At least that I think you meant anyhow,  If I'm wrong let me know.  And no, I don't operate like that. I don't judge a QB based on 1 good or bad year. 1 year wonders exists and not all situations are treated equally. 

Which brings me back to my point. Tua is not a stud. You seem to have a problem with me having a problem with someone else calling Tua a stud right now (FWIW I didn't think much of him coming out college).  So would you disagree with this notion and consider Tua is a stud right now? 

3 hours ago, pf9 said:

OK, when the Cowboys went 5-11 in 2000, in 2001, which was 20 years ago,

20 years ago..... before the division realignment.....go ahead.

3 hours ago, pf9 said:

The Cowboys were so bad last year they got flexed out of an NBC SNF slot for the first time ever

I wonder if that had anything to do with the plethora of injuries, including their starting QB, and had to roll with Dalton for the year.

edit. One page ago you were screaming about teams "earning it" and now you're using the flex against the point you were arguing.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

20 years ago..... before the division realignment.....go ahead.

I wonder if that had anything to do with the plethora of injuries, including their starting QB, and had to roll with Dalton for the year.

edit. One page ago you were screaming about teams "earning it" and now you're using the flex against the point you were arguing.

I want teams to have to earn multiple NBC games on the initially-released schedule. The Cowboys went 6-10 last year and the NFL had no business giving them three NBC games on the tentative schedule, while denying the Dolphins NBC exposure on the initial schedule. The Dolphins have not been on NBC since 2017. They haven't won on NBC since 1997, when the network had the AFC package. 1997 is so long ago that rock music released that year is now considered classic rock - I once got my local classic rock station to play "Touch, Peel, and Stand" by Days of the New, which was from their 1997 self-titled debut album.

The Dolphins have been on the current SNF package the second-fewest times, above only Jacksonville. I felt because of the Dolphins missing the playoffs at 10-6, being one less win than the defending champs, who happen to be in their own state, that the Dolphins should have been the opponent for Tampa Bay in the kickoff game. It didn't even get a 4:25 DH slot.

Jacksonville should have gotten a Thanksgiving night game at the Rams because the Rams had the longest active Thanksgiving drought among teams not playing at Detroit or Dallas (and longest overall), and the Jaguars had the longest active drought of the Rams' opponents, being the only NFL team never to play on Thanksgiving - I felt Trevor Lawrence would have made this game attractive enough to NBC.

Somehow, someway, I'm going to get the NFL to consult me in future seasons as to how many primetime appearances should non-playoff teams from the year before get. I would have shot down the idea of the Cowboys getting three NBC games to start.

So, teams should mostly get primetime exposure based on how good they were the year before, not because of the ratings they draw in (ratings aren't everything), or in the case of Thanksgiving, the teams with the longest active droughts of appearing on the holiday should have first dibs, relatively speaking - this would have sent the Cardinals to Detroit, the Broncos to Dallas, and the Jaguars to LA (at the Rams) on Thanksgiving under my formula.

Edited by pf9