2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I see what you’re saying… but it seems a bit contradicting. You say thy of course no team wants to

miss out on the next star WR (when there’s been several in the last couple classes) yet say that we shouldn’t have a #1. The idea for a great offense is to have at least 2 guys who are looked at as #1 options. So they can’t double both. And it opens up the field for others to shine as well. Look what adding Chase did for CIN. They already had Higgings and Boyd. They didn’t “need” him. But he’s a star. And the pulled the trigger. My point is we should be not be hesitant to pull the trigger on a star WR.

There is no contradiction in what I said. I defined what I view as a WR1. I then stated that LaFleur probably wants to spread the ball around to 3 WR’s as opposed to relying on one and using the others as outlets.  If LaFleur thinks a WR at 10 is needed to boost this O, so be it.  Perhaps it’s the terminology of what a WR1, w 3 is. I believe LaFleur would rather 3 Moores as opposed to a Moore, R. Moss, and a JAG. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, xrade said:

I’ll take your word on that since I have not seen him play. But my point about there not being a big difference between the players that may be available at 10 and those that play the same position being there at 20 may be valid. In the end, I think we stay at 4 and 10 only because I don’t see a lot, if any, big trade ups this year.

We have to wait until after the combine.  More prospects have knocked the 1st round door.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:05 PM, xrade said:

There is no contradiction in what I said. I defined what I view as a WR1. I then stated that LaFleur probably wants to spread the ball around to 3 WR’s as opposed to relying on one and using the others as outlets.  If LaFleur thinks a WR at 10 is needed to boost this O, so be it.  Perhaps it’s the terminology of what a WR1, w 3 is. I believe LaFleur would rather 3 Moores as opposed to a Moore, R. Moss, and a JAG. 

The system has tendency to have one receiver with highest frequent target and then the rest of them will share opportunities as games/scripts are progressing.  

Right now, Moore is Wilson's number one WR. That's it until he is either hurt or cold(skill). 

Very strong chance that Jets won't draft WR in 1st.

Since there may be more LB prospects making a case to be part of top 40-60 I checked out Zakoby McClain.

Wow.  He and JoJo Domann could be solid pickup in day 3 to bolster LB corp.  McClain is invited to the Shrine Bowl so he has an opportunity to earn Day 2 money.

Still, both need official measurements to share out.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

And I wonder if JD will take it or trade it away if one falls.

Pending on who it is, I hope he takes it. Collecting picks is cool and all, but we need potential star players. We don't have one player teams have to plan for. I need us to get someone on either side of the ball. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Pending on who it is, I hope he takes it. Collecting picks is cool and all, but we need potential star players. We don't have one player teams have to plan for. I need us to get someone on either side of the ball. 

Yeah. Just get real talents.

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

If we stay at the #4 pick, I think we're going to select someone who shoots up the draft boards after combine. 

Ojabo can be that guy. He’s sitting around the 10-15 area now. He might go up boards since I Exocet him to run an good 40 and he’s very athletic. Wouldn’t draft him at 4… but at 10 I would. And I wouldn’t hate a draft of Neal Or Ikem at 4 and Ojabo at 10 at all. I’d love it actually.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Ojabo can be that guy. He’s sitting around the 10-15 area now. He might go up boards since I Exocet him to run an good 40 and he’s very athletic. Wouldn’t draft him at 4… but at 10 I would. And I wouldn’t hate a draft of Neal Or Ikem at 4 and Ojabo at 10 at all. I’d love it actually.

I think it's going to be Ojabo who moves into the top 5 discussion. He's going to have a good combine. I think we all know that. On tape, he's pretty close to Thibo. Thibo is just a better run defender, but in terms of pass rushing moves, Ojabo showed a lot. There is always a LB that shows up as well (Ro.Smith, White, Simmons, and etc.). Dean and White will likely be in that discussion as well. 

If we're going to draft Neal/Ikem just to be on the right side, I'm not sure if I want them at #4. I'm not locked in on anyone yet at #4 until I see more this offseason. Some of the offensive prospects feel forced in the top right now. Neal is good, but I'm not sure if he's even the best from the SEC in this draft. Ikem is one of my favs, but are we really going to draft a RG or RT at #4? 

On 1/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, rickyt31 said:

Ikem is one of my favs, but are we really going to draft a RG or RT at #4? 

I would have no problem with Ikem at 4 IF we don’t get a quality RG AND/OR the team feels Becton is a no go. Remember Ikem can play LT and replace Fant in a year. It is also not so “dumb” to draft a RT at 4 anymore.  The real question, is does JD draft OT at 4 if Becton is ready since he is our LT of the present and future. I think then, JD will look a bit later if we truly need “just” a RT. So many questions that won’t become clear until after FA and we hear about Mekhi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xrade said:

I would have no problem with Ikem at 4 IF we don’t get a quality RG AND/OR the team feels Becton is a no go. Remember Ikem can play LT and replace Fant in a year. It is also not so “dumb” to draft a RT at 4 anymore.  The real question, is does JD draft OT at 4 if Becton is ready since he is our LT of the present and future. I think then, JD will look a bit later if we truly need “just” a RT. So many questions that won’t become clear until after FA and we hear about Mekhi. 

I can see that. Drafting him for his talent and flexibility just in case. I love him as prospect and I'm not against picking him, just don't know if we would pick someone who is coming in to play RG at 4. Definitely at 10, but would JD actually do it. 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk