2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

I guess we cut Baker if he agrees to lower his cap hit, so he drops it to like 4 million like Odell. 

We could probably move him, if we threw in a 6th to Seattle. 

Or we wait for for a market to develop if a top tier player goes down in training camp, like brady, wilson, or herbert. 

The other option is we get some value in a trade if we take on the  half the contract, maybe to the chargers for a 4th and we pay 9 million

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If he sits out though we get the money back, and we need every cent we can get

But we can act on that yet. From a cap perspective his contract is still on the books. If he decides not to play yes we won’t have to pay him but right now any signings have to take into account what he’s owed. 

And I want Bobby Wagner. So we need to ship his *** out 

Edited by brownie man

Just now, brownie man said:

But we can act on that yet. From a cap perspective his contract is still on the books. If he decides not to play yes we won’t have to pay him but right now any signings have to take into account what he’s owed. 

And I want Bobby Wagner. So we need to ship his *** out 

Yes. But we could use the money next year which will be a massive boost.

45 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I guess we cut Baker if he agrees to lower his cap hit, so he drops it to like 4 million like Odell. 

The salary is non-negotiable once they picked up the option. Baker can't do anything to lower the cap hit except retire.

Edited by Thomas5737

25 minutes ago, brownie man said:

@Thomas5737

This. He’s still counting against the books with his guaranteed contract. 

Unless we are going all in for this year which would be dumb we cleared cap space for rollover because things are going to get tight after this season if we have no rollover. We aren't picking up anyone off real value I don't think.

We can trade Baker week 3 and recoup 15 million or whatever so it still helps with the rollover cap. No reason to be desperate.

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If he sits out though we get the money back, and we need every cent we can get

But he still would owe us a year at that same price and it would be on next years cap which would be worse. If Baker wanted to be a richard he would do that and put us in cap hell next year. That would be 73 million for Watson and Baker.

I don't expect him to be petty like that though and lose a year of his career...but he could.

58 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Salary gets converted to bonuses, voidable years get added.

Something tells me the nerds have an idea how to work the cap.

Rams have 39 players signed and 31 in cap room

Saints have 32 signed and -14 million, so it could be worse...

What contracts are we reworking? Watson's? Garrett's? Chubb's?

I do think we'll do something with Bitonio and maybe Teller but we just did Cooper and Watson I don't know if there is much we can do with those.

We could cut one player right now (Watson) and be 193 million over the cap for this season. I think that would be a record.

I know you can maneuver cap stuff but it's still a real thing and we've dedicated a lot to a few positions and it will be a struggle to do much going forward so we need as much carry over as possible this year. Currently our top 7 salaries in 2023 is 160 million or 57 million under the cap.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

We have 27 players signed for next season and currently have 8.4 million in cap room.

We will add 5 guys for 8 million in the draft. That takes it to 32. It will largely be the bottom of the roster not the top of it too. Thay doesnt bother me too much

We will be losing Ward (tag) and Njoku. 

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Rams have 39 players signed and 31 in cap room

Saints have 32 signed and -14 million, so it could be worse...

What contracts are we reworking? Watson's? Garrett's? Chubb's?

Bitonio, Wataon, Teller are  all guys that can get reworked too make money. 

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I do think we'll do something with Bitonio and maybe Teller but we just did Cooper and Watson I don't know if there is much we can do with those.

We could cut one player right now (Watson) and be 193 million over the cap for this season. I think that would be a record.

I know you can maneuver cap stuff but it's still a real thing and we've dedicated a lot to a few positions and it will be a struggle to do much going forward so we need as much carry over as possible this year. Currently our top 7 salaries in 2023 is 160 million or 57 million under the cap.