2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

5th year option isn't negotiable.

Interesting. I thought he could renegotiate it if he agreed to it. That complicates things.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He may still end up in Pittsburgh via a couple trades but I don't foresee Baker getting cut. They'd sooner look like idiots for picking it up and giving away a 6th for someone to take him to get some rollover cap for next year than look like idiots for picking it up to cut him and take an 18 million dollar hit.

At least that's what I perceive.

I wonder if the geniuses are dumb enough to trade Baker within the division. That would make the intrigue even more palpable of the Browns traded him to the Steelers as a salary dump. Then it becomes a battle of fat midgetness vs doubted Bakerness. That would be some must-see TV. 

As gross as it would be, seeing Baker throw a game-winning touchdown and then slowly run backward making hard eye contact with Stef would be a thing of beauty.

31 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Interesting. I thought he could renegotiate it if he agreed to it. That complicates things.

I wonder if the geniuses are dumb enough to trade Baker within the division. That would make the intrigue even more palpable of the Browns traded him to the Steelers as a salary dump. Then it becomes a battle of fat midgetness vs doubted Bakerness. That would be some must-see TV. 

As gross as it would be, seeing Baker throw a game-winning touchdown and then slowly run backward making hard eye contact with Stef would be a thing of beauty.

It's a weird dynamic. We don't think he is fit to lead a team but we probably still think he improves a division foe considerably. So I don't think we consider a trade to Pittsburgh.

However, the Dolphins may give us a 5th for him and then trade him to Pittsburgh for a 3rd and a 5th. Then they get a free 3rd and the Steelers have "competition" for Trubisky.

I wouldn't like that because I would rather see the Steelers trot out Mitch.

• Like 1

Baker is going to start somewhere next year, whether it’s limited duties or full-time. If he goes out there and plays good football and we miss the playoffs, even if Watson is suspended much of the year as an excuse, the nerds are going to look super terrible. I still think if Mayfield ends up in the right situation and has a bit of an attitude adjustment, he can be at least an average starter in the NFL, maybe better. A lot of that is up to him. Location has to get the best out of the quarterback as well, though, and the Browns have their share of blame for that. As a Browns fan, most of me just wants us to win games and a Super Bowl. But part of me hopes that the front office and ownership gets what’s coming to them out of this.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I still think if Mayfield ends up in the right situation and has a bit of an attitude adjustment, he can be at least an average starter in the NFL,

I'm not trying to debate I am just pleading ignorance here. What is his attitude problem?

I don't follow him on any social media or live in Cleveland so I may miss a lot. Are there specific reports of issues or just the third party unnamed sources that say the team feels this way stuff?

As far as how he talks (matter of factly) does rub people the wrong way but I don't see that as an attitude issue just part of his personality.

I know about the Duke Johnson stuff, the going back and forth with certain media members and his arrest/possible adultery/college crotch grabbing but is there something more recent that isn't just uncredited speculation?

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm not trying to debate I am just pleading ignorance here. What is his attitude problem?

I don't follow him on any social media or live in Cleveland so I may miss a lot. Are there specific reports of issues or just the third party unnamed sources that say the team feels this way stuff?

As far as how he talks (matter of factly) does rub people the wrong way but I don't see that as an attitude issue just part of his personality.

I know about the Duke Johnson stuff, the going back and forth with certain media members and his arrest/possible adultery/college crotch grabbing but is there something more recent that isn't just uncredited speculation?

I’d say the character concerns are speculation but when it’s widespread, as with anything else, there’s generally something to it. The lack of commentary supporting Mayfield along with the negative rabble should tell us something. My main point though was more that whatever the issue, and there are some clearly on both sides, I think he could turn things around in the right circumstances.

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’d say the character concerns are speculation but when it’s widespread, as with anything else, there’s generally something to it. The lack of commentary supporting Mayfield along with the negative rabble should tell us something. My main point though was more that whatever the issue, and there are some clearly on both sides, I think he could turn things around in the right circumstances.

Well I really just didn't want to seem like an idiot if there was something out there that I didn't know and everyone else seemingly did.

A lot in the media never liked him so I have no doubt there is a lot of negative stuff out there about him. The team wants fans to embrace Watson so they have a reason to leak negative stuff without giving any specifics.

As far as players going to bat for him, I don't know what that means. Hooper did a lot of defending him, Chubb did also (before the Watson thing) so maybe it's a don't burn a bridge thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well I really just didn't want to seem like an idiot if there was something out there that I didn't know and everyone else seemingly did.

A lot in the media never liked him so I have no doubt there is a lot of negative stuff out there about him. The team wants fans to embrace Watson so they have a reason to leak negative stuff without giving any specifics.

As far as players going to bat for him, I don't know what that means. Hooper did a lot of defending him, Chubb did also (before the Watson thing) so maybe it's a don't burn a bridge thing.

I don’t know what to make of everything tbh. I was never on Team OBJ and believed he was a cancer. It’s just weird that the entire organization seemed to be over Baker and reports that he wanted out also. The relationship there wasn’t good and I don’t know where all the blame lies there but can reasonably conclude based on everything at hand that he has some blame. Whether his play, health, or attitude, other teams aren’t clamoring for his services. 

Me, I’d much rather have walked it back. I’ve maintained not giving him year 5 on the surface was a mistake. I’d have let the year play out then if there wasn’t a turnaround, look at the ‘23 options. I’d 10x rather him then Watson, for so many obvious reasons. I can’t escape the fact that everyone wanted to move on from him though, which leads me to believe there is more to Baker’s story then what we know factually. 

Edited by NateDawg

I wish we could just close this thread. It's cruel and unusual punishment at this point to keep talking about how wrong all of the things we perceive Baker is doing or thinking.

You don't have to turn him into a villain. He won't be our QB next year and he isn't currently on a rival roster so why keep ****ting on him?

On 3/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, NateDawg said:

Baker is going to start somewhere next year, whether it’s limited duties or full-time. If he goes out there and plays good football and we miss the playoffs, even if Watson is suspended much of the year as an excuse, the nerds are going to look super terrible

The nerds aren't going to look any worse than they do now.  This is the worst of it, there are no games to distract from the controversy, the height of moral outrage is now.  Depending if and when the civil suits settle, there will be gradually reducing waves of outrage. i.e. when Deshaun starts a game, if a case goes to trial prior to settlement, etc.  The organization made a bet for the long term not 2022.  They have gambled that the chance to get a franchise quarterback in his prime is worth all that they are enduring now.   A unique and terrible confluence of circumstances led to Watson being available in an auction style market and resulted in the 230 mil contract.  Franchise quarterbacks are never free agents.  The Watson contract proves that the NFL underpays these guys because they can only negotiate with their current team.  What kind of contract would Burrows, Herbert, get if they were free agents???  The nerds recognized this and pounced.  They are willingly  paying the price and will endure because this is an unprecedented opportunity.  Only time will tell if it was worth it. (I'm pulling for them.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wish we could just close this thread. It's cruel and unusual punishment at this point to keep talking about how wrong all of the things we perceive Baker is doing or thinking.

You don't have to turn him into a villain. He won't be our QB next year and he isn't currently on a rival roster so why keep ****ting on him?

Die a hero or live long enough to become the villain. 

Really I just hope he keeps his head down and works his butt off and takes the next step.  He has the skill to do it. He doesn’t need to go around talking smack, everyone knows he’s getting the boot from a FO and HC that didn’t draft him.  It’s obvious he is frustrated by this so he has two choices.  Let them be wrong and you improve or let them be right and you get worst. 

• Like 1