49ers Sign Tony Jefferson

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'll be honest, I don't really get this move. 

Tartt, Ward, Moore, Hufanga and Harris. Even if Harris will get cut, what is the point of this move? Just a camp body? 

Don't forget Tavon Wilson. Like how many safeties does one team need? I get that a couple of guys are probably headed to the PS but this seems like overkill at this point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'll be honest, I don't really get this move. 

Tartt, Ward, Moore, Hufanga and Harris. Even if Harris will get cut, what is the point of this move? Just a camp body? 

I remember reading this about a month ago, but Jefferson and our new senior defensive assistant, James Bettcher are close and Jefferson is like the embodiment of what he wants his box safeties to do. This honestly could more of an instructive training camp gig for Jefferson. I could be completely wrong on his role, but I know there is a connection and mutual admiration between Jefferson and Bettcher. 

• Like 2

I could be entirely wrong about this, but I wonder if D. Ryan’s is going to use certain safeties as more of a linebacker (in the box). Meaning we will keep more safeties on the final roster than linebackers. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I could be entirely wrong about this, but I wonder if D. Ryan’s is going to use certain safeties as more of a linebacker (in the box). Meaning we will keep more safeties on the final roster than linebackers. 

Which is really ironic when you think about it, because Ryans was a linebacker. 

I love what this would say about him. It's not "this is what worked when I was a player" it's - what is going to work for the next few years? 

I like the scheme versatility this brings us. Tartt and ward are both very good in the box, so having another guy who could lineup at LB but also cover TEs, pick up overflow from the slot (big slots are popular now), rotate deep (when ward/tartt blitz) gives us a lot of different options 

It's a shame Eric Reid didn't want to play "LB" because he was great in that role. 

I also think this is made possible by how beefy our DL is. We need to keep those guys clean 

Pumped for the next chapter of this defense 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenK said:

I’m pretty sure Hufanga and Harris are going to be playing close to the LoS in a money backer role. 

Both of them get worse the further away from the LoS they get. 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:18 PM, NinerNation21 said:

I’m pretty sure Hufanga and Harris are going to be playing close to the LoS in a money backer role. 

Both of them get worse the further away from the LoS they get. 

This is very true, unfortunately. Though I wonder how long Harris might be on the roster with Hufanga on a much cheaper contract... Hufanga is one of my favorite picks from this draft.

And, yes, I am very excited to have another former Sooner on our roster: Welcome Tony Jefferson!

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This is very true, unfortunately. Though I wonder how long Harris might be on the roster with Hufanga on a much cheaper contract... Hufanga is one of my favorite picks from this draft.

And, yes, I am very excited to have another former Sooner on our roster: Welcome Tony Jefferson!

I think we end up carrying 5 safeties: 

- Ward: starting deep, ranging safety 

- Tartt: starting safety, box, mid-zone guy

- Hufanga: special teams guy, box/LoS prowler. More zone than man. 

- Tavon Wilson: special teams guy, back up to ward and some to Tartt. 

I think the last spot will be between Jefferson and Harris. Jefferson has the leg up, IMO, as he can do what Harris can do but also can be a better Tartt replacement than Harris.

I think Jefferson gets the spot and Harris will be a PS guy unless someone else scoops him up. I think Mayden ends up on the PS too.