MKnight82's Top 50 Video Games of All Time - Full List Up

7 hours ago, showtime said:

That's the newest game that has allowed cross play for all. Cross play with a game like Fortnite has been on PS4 since 2018.

Bruh, these are head line articles within the last 90 days:

Sony really fought against cross-play

And they are still fighting against it today, judging by what the Epic boss Tim Sweeney mentioned at the Epic vs. Apple trial.

Sony really hated PS4 crossplay, confidential documents reveal

Epic Games was trying to force Sony to budge

By Tom Warren@tomwarren  May 3, 2021, 2:05pm EDT

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not sure I am following correctly on the back and forth, but mostly universal cross-play on the PS4 is a very recent thing. That said, it has been on Fortnite since like 2018. 

Thats what I said to @showtime, but I get the impression he is trying to debate it? I dunno. 

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

That space-fallout game from Bethseda. Star-something. 

I'm not sure I'd say it's more anticipated than God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West. I'm definitely excited for it and will play it since Todd Howard described it as "Skyrim in space" but there's also a lot of people hesitant as faith in Bethesda isn't quite as high as it used to be. 

• Like 1

Also to be fair the crossplay thing went both ways, during the 360/PS3 era when Microsoft was outperforming Sony they were the ones hesitant about crossplay while Sony advocated it... Then during the PS4/Xbone era when Sony pulled way ahead from the start the roles reversed.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats what I said to @showtime, but I get the impression he is trying to debate it? I dunno. 

Probably just a misunderstanding of what you mean by crossplay, crossplay with PC has existed in PS4 since 2014 I believe, but "universal" crossplay Fortnite was first.

Little known fact about crossplay, Sony actually did it first. There was crossplay between PS2 and Dreamcast... But only in Japan... And only for one game (that I'm aware of).

EDIT:

After looking it up I stand corrected, the first universal crossplay game was Final Fantasy 11 between PS2, 360, and PC.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

I like that this list is objectively like, not great. You have Katamari and 2K and Madden and They Are Billions, while some historic franchises like Metroid, Sonic, GTA, God of War, Uncharted, etc. are all absent. No Rockstar games make the cut. I don't see a Nintendo game more recent than Wii Sports, or any Sony first party games. Objectively, there are so many things wrong with this list.

But, it's your list, so that's kind of how it should be. It's your personal opinion and should be inherently flawed by biases, preferences, and accessibilities. I disagree whole-heartedly with many things about it, but I don't think debating would be the point.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

But, it's your list, so that's kind of how it should be. It's your personal opinion and should be inherently flawed by biases, preferences, and accessibilities. I disagree whole-heartedly with many things about it, but I don't think debating would be the point.

Thanks I appreciate that.  I'm going to explain the games you listed in detail, but just for further commentary why they aren't on the list. 

Katamari

Innovation and replay ability were big parts of my list.  Also I defy anyone to fire up this game and not have fun with it.  Absolutely deserves to be on the list IMO.

2K and Madden

Lots of people gripe about these games but ultimately millions of people play them every year and enjoy them. They are two of the biggest franchises in history at this point I don't understand why anyone gripes they are on the list. 

They Are Billions

This game is fantastic.  If you haven't played it you should try it. 

Metroid

I've never played a metroid game.  Was never a fan of side scrollers. 

Sonic

I didn't own a sega.  Although again, I'm not a fan of side scrollers. 

God of War

I played the first one only.  It was ok, wasn't blown away.

Uncharted

I haven't played any of these. Although I have played Tomb Raider and thought they were boring.  Not sure how similar they are.

No Rockstar games make the cut.

LA Noire is on the list. The only other two Rockstar games I've ever played are GTA3 and the first Red Dead Redemption. I didn't really like GTA3, I can't explain it more than that it just wasn't for me.  Never had any interest in trying the other GTA games.  I'm sure they've improved on the concept a ton since the GTA3 days but the concept itself just never interested me. GTA is set in a more real type world while I generally prefer fantasy settings. Also I played RDR and found it incredibly boring and never got past the first few hours or so. Again its more of a real world setting as well and just didn't grab my attention. 

I don't see a Nintendo game more recent than Wii Sports

That's because as I've aged the kid like nature of Nintendo games lost my interest.  I'm 38 years old.

or any Sony first party games

Ya after PS2 I haven't really played any PS at all. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I never played this but is is like Pharoah or the Rome city builder games? 

I think a similar one was called Cleopatra. It's very simplistic in it's gameplay though. I just love it. The nostalgia is why it holds up for me. Probably been playing it for 20 years on and off. 

On 7/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, Flatlyner said:

Kind of shocked Wasteland didn't make the cut.

I mostly agreed with your top 10 outside of FF and Resident Evil, but, I must confess, I have not played either of those games, so I could conceivably be incorrect. 

I'd add these to the list, likely very high:

Baseball Stars (for the NES I believe?) - Played the hell out of this game for years.  So much so that I had to buy several new cartridges (apparently they used to have small batteries in them that would run out).  Was the first RPG-like element to a sports game I've ever seen.  You could increase ratings with good play (buy earning $) and customize every player to your liking.  You could even have ladies on your custom teams.  I was so addicted to this game.

Grim Dawn (which I'm actually shocked you haven't tried and enjoyed) Very Diablo like but with many more class options/combos), extremely fun.

7 Days to Die - A zombie sandbox that is very addicting and one of the best games I've ever played.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown - Much like XCom2.  Great game.  I also love X-Com 2

Divinity Original Sin 2 - Likely my favorite party based RPG of all time.  Almost 200 hours played.

Pillars of Eternity (both) - Great party based RPG's.

Honorable Mention - Rim World.  Just try it.

Great list and well done MK - I've added games to my wishlist from your list.

Unfortunately I haven't played any of these games.  Maybe Baseball Stars?  So far back hard to remember.  I actually own 7 Days to Die but have never played it lol. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think a similar one was called Cleopatra. It's very simplistic in it's gameplay though. I just love it. The nostalgia is why it holds up for me. Probably been playing it for 20 years on and off. 

That's how Lords of Magic and Master of Orion are for me.