Training Camp 2021

Bobby816

All TC talk can go here. Starts in 2 weeks.

The big questions still are IMO….

On offense

Who’s our starting RG?

What does the WR depth chart look like? Meaning who’s getting starting reps?

Who will get the bulk of the touches at RB?

Can Herndon find his rookie year form in a TE friendly system?

On defense

Who gets the majority of snaps opposite Lawson at DE?

Who starts as our 3rd LB?

What does the CB depth chart look like after Hall?

On 7/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, Bobby816 said:

All TC talk can go here. Starts in 2 weeks.

The big questions still are IMO….

On offense

Who’s our starting RG?

What does the WR depth chart look like? Meaning who’s getting starting reps?

Who will get the bulk of the touches at RB?

Can Herndon find his rookie year form in a TE friendly system?

On defense

Who gets the majority of snaps opposite Lawson at DE?

Who starts as our 3rd LB?

What does the CB depth chart look like after Hall?

RG is likely GVR.

Wr depth chart is probably Davis, Cole, Moore in 3 WR sets with Mims and Crowder as depth.  I think Cole has to edge in snaps early on over Mims.  

At RB I like Carter and Ty to have nearly identical touches early with Coleman doing the 3rd down work.

Yes I expect big things from Herndon this year.

I think we see snaps from JFM, Curry and Huff all opposite Lawson.  I think we get a little of Zuniga sprinkled in.  Because even Lawson will need a break.  JFM will get snaps inside as well.

Third LB not a big deal because those snaps will maybe be 30% of the time only.  We'll be in nickel most of the time but I think Naz is the most talented of the bunch.

CB depth is obviously a major issue but I actually do like of nickel CBs between Carter III and Guidry.  Just need to hope one of Dunn, Austin, or Pinnock step up because while the DL will be good if we can't cover for a few seconds to allow the rush to get there we'll be in trouble.

Very pumped to see this team grow.  We can surprise some people this year and hover around .500 I believe.

19 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

RG is likely GVR.

Wr depth chart is probably Davis, Cole, Moore in 3 WR sets with Mims and Crowder as depth.  I think Cole has to edge in snaps early on over Mims.  

At RB I like Carter and Ty to have nearly identical touches early with Coleman doing the 3rd down work.

Yes I expect big things from Herndon this year.

I think we see snaps from JFM, Curry and Huff all opposite Lawson.  I think we get a little of Zuniga sprinkled in.  Because even Lawson will need a break.  JFM will get snaps inside as well.

Third LB not a big deal because those snaps will maybe be 30% of the time only.  We'll be in nickel most of the time but I think Naz is the most talented of the bunch.

CB depth is obviously a major issue but I actually do like of nickel CBs between Carter III and Guidry.  Just need to hope one of Dunn, Austin, or Pinnock step up because while the DL will be good if we can't cover for a few seconds to allow the rush to get there we'll be in trouble.

Very pumped to see this team grow.  We can surprise some people this year and hover around .500 I believe.

I agree that GVR I think starts at RG. As much I'd love for a guy like Clarke to get snaps there... I just don't see it happening.

WR depth for me is the most interesting thing. I expect everybody to get snaps. But who are the regular starter besides Davis is a question mark. Is Moore starting over Crowder in the slot? Is Moore starting over Mims and Cole on the outside. A lot of question marks. I do think that we try and let the young guys get snaps if they earn them. Meaning if Mims and Cole are even close... Mims gets more snaps then him. If Moore and Crowder are close. Moore get more snaps then him. We will see. I really don't know what the depth chart will look like here. The only thing I really don't want happening is Cole getting snaps over Moore and Mims.

This would be ideal for me as well. Not a huge fan of Coleman. I'd like to see Carter get the most touches with Ty as the 2nd guy.

I'm not as optimistic as you regarding Herndon. He's been disappointing ever since his rookie year. Hopefully he's matured and can find his rookie form in a TE friendly system. I'd love that. But I don't share the optimism as you. 

I agree with this as well. I would like to see more Huff in obvious passing situations though. As above... I'm not the biggest Curry fan. So I don't want him taking many snaps away from Huff, JFM and Zuniga. The other guy that I think gets more snaps then you think is Blair. Very steady edge guy. Not going to hit 10 sacks, but knows the system and is talented.

Agree with this as well. But I do think our sets will be more decided on personnel than just sticking to a set. Meaning that if Nas is looking better in his role than lets say Carter3. I think we run more sets with Nas. The other thing I'd expect is a lot of 3 S sets. Maye, Joyner and Davis out there. A spot I'm very interested to see that pans out is the other outside CB besides Hall. I think we're ok in the slot actually with young guys. But that outside CB2 is a question mark. Hopefully someone steps up between the rookies in Pinnock and Dunn. Austin just isnt consistent enough in his play to trust. Unless something clicks with him as well. 

And I also agree that we will be right around that .500 mark. If I had to make a prediction now... I'd say 8-9

On 7/19/2021 at 7:18 AM, Bobby816 said:

I agree that GVR I think starts at RG. As much I'd love for a guy like Clarke to get snaps there... I just don't see it happening.

WR depth for me is the most interesting thing. I expect everybody to get snaps. But who are the regular starter besides Davis is a question mark. Is Moore starting over Crowder in the slot? Is Moore starting over Mims and Cole on the outside. A lot of question marks. I do think that we try and let the young guys get snaps if they earn them. Meaning if Mims and Cole are even close... Mims gets more snaps then him. If Moore and Crowder are close. Moore get more snaps then him. We will see. I really don't know what the depth chart will look like here. The only thing I really don't want happening is Cole getting snaps over Moore and Mims.

This would be ideal for me as well. Not a huge fan of Coleman. I'd like to see Carter get the most touches with Ty as the 2nd guy.

I'm not as optimistic as you regarding Herndon. He's been disappointing ever since his rookie year. Hopefully he's matured and can find his rookie form in a TE friendly system. I'd love that. But I don't share the optimism as you. 

I agree with this as well. I would like to see more Huff in obvious passing situations though. As above... I'm not the biggest Curry fan. So I don't want him taking many snaps away from Huff, JFM and Zuniga. The other guy that I think gets more snaps then you think is Blair. Very steady edge guy. Not going to hit 10 sacks, but knows the system and is talented.

Agree with this as well. But I do think our sets will be more decided on personnel than just sticking to a set. Meaning that if Nas is looking better in his role than lets say Carter3. I think we run more sets with Nas. The other thing I'd expect is a lot of 3 S sets. Maye, Joyner and Davis out there. A spot I'm very interested to see that pans out is the other outside CB besides Hall. I think we're ok in the slot actually with young guys. But that outside CB2 is a question mark. Hopefully someone steps up between the rookies in Pinnock and Dunn. Austin just isnt consistent enough in his play to trust. Unless something clicks with him as well. 

And I also agree that we will be right around that .500 mark. If I had to make a prediction now... I'd say 8-9

A few things.  Yeah I agree with Herndon is a wild card but I've seen him do it so I know it's in him.  Hope it was that horrible Gase offense that was the cause of his decline.

Yes Blair will be in the mix probably in the 25% of the snap range.  Similar to Fatukasi he'll get those running down snaps.

I don't think we will see a ton of 3 safety sets.  I think it was JetX that did a good write up about Saleh and Ulbrich both not using 3 safety sets.  I think Davis is going to get snaps in dime at slot cb and also snaps at WLB in passing downs.  He won't see snaps at safety unless Maye or Joyner come off the field.

SF used 3 Rbs a lot over the years so Coleman will likely be the 3rd down guy because he's a solid blocker and pass catcher with Ty and Carter doing the early downs.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:03 AM, Bobby816 said:

A QBs 40 time is so far down on the list of what's important. How many times a year is a QB wide open running in the open field? 2? So I can careless is his 40 is 4.2 or 4.8

Very true.  My biggest concern when a QB runs is does he have the smarts to protect his *** before getting leveled.  I hate it when QBs run unless your QB is really just a fancy RB who cant throw the ball.  Lamar Jackson is almost in that mold.

7 hours ago, xrade said:

Very true.  My biggest concern when a QB runs is does he have the smarts to protect his *** before getting leveled.  I hate it when QBs run unless your QB is really just a fancy RB who cant throw the ball.  Lamar Jackson is almost in that mold.

I think it was just a general discussion of his 40 time because he didn’t run it cause of the hammy.