NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

11 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Whiteside is a headache. He’s not going to be able to sit around and only play 10 minutes a game. It’s just a waste of money and a waste of a spot. They would have been better off spending that money on someone who can play with Rudy and be his backup. 

He only played 15 MPG last season backing up Richaun Holmes for Sacramento...

This is such a weird take. You're acting as if they gave him some multi-year deal worth tens of millions of dollars. It's literally a 1 year minimum deal.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

He only played 15 MPG last season backing up Richaun Holmes for Sacramento...

This is such a weird take. You're acting as if they gave him some multi-year deal worth tens of millions of dollars. It's literally a 1 year minimum deal.

Udoka ideally will be ready to contribute as our primary backup center in year 2. But Whiteside on a minimum deal is a nice insurance policy to have on the roster.

A veteran PG next would be nice and a flier on a young athletic wing like Winslow and we’re Gucci. With George Hill back with the Bucks would love Jeff Teague. 

22 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I feel like a team with Whiteside caps itself at middle of the pack. I suppose Utah has the most talent he's ever played with before though so who knows. 

I don't even think we signed him to be a part of our rotation. Ideally Udoka Azubukie, who we drafted 27th last year, will be our primary back up center. But having Whiteside on the roster is a nice insurance policy in case he isn't ready to play or if we have someone get hurt during the season. Obviously Whiteside isn't a great player by any means but he's an NBA caliber player nonetheless. One of the Jazz's biggest issues, primarily due to our former GM's way of roster building, has been that the guys on the end of our bench have typically been G-League developmental types. Which is fine but as we've seen the last couple of years in the playoffs when we've had injuries that meant that guys like Miye Oni, Juwan Morgan, and Georges Niang had to play. 

In comparison when you look at a team like the Clippers when you look at their end of bench guys they were able to play guys like DeMarcus Cousins, Luke Kennard, Rajon Rondo, etc. Obviously none of those guys are great players at this point but they're NBA caliber guys that were former 1st round picks and have been in the league for years and rotational players at one point or another. 

Ideally I'd like to see us end free agency with fliers on Dante Exum and Justise Winslow. Both guys have had their issues with injuries but they're two young, former top 10 picks, that have had their moments and provide defensive versatility, which is another thing that killed us in the playoffs. 

Our top 9 in the rotation will likely be Conley, Mitchell, Bojan, O'Neale, Gobert, Clarkson, Ingles, Gay, and Udoka. But having guys like Whiteside, Exum, Winslow, and Jared Butler as the next four would definitely give us a lot more flexibility. 

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

just interested to see where 

• Oubre, Reggie Jackson, Schroder end up 
  • Milsap, George Hill, Danny Green could help a contender too 
  • I guess John Collins and Lauri Markkanen could make some noise with their moves

George Hill is signing with the Bucks. At this point I think it's safe to assume Collins will be back in Atlanta. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

that GM Is going be the reason why Zion demands a trade soon.

We'll see how they play this season. 3 head coaches in 3 years is a bad look so hopefully Willie Green is a better fit with their group. For as much crap as I've given @MookieMonstah today, the Pelicans should be a playoff team assuming they're healthy. Zion made a massive leap between year 1/2, Ingram is one of the better young players in the league, and Jonas is a huge upgrade over Steven Adams. Devonte' Graham was one of the better catch and shoot 3P guys in the league last year so that should help their spacing and Jonas is also a decent floor spacer as well. Trey Murphy was a solid pick for them as well as a big athletic 3&D wing that can space the floor. 

They'll need NAW, Kira Lewis Jr, and Jaxson Hayes to take leaps this year but all 3 guys are capable of doing it. 

PG - Graham | Lewis Jr

SG - NAW | Satoransky  

SF - Ingram | Temple 

PF - Williamson | Murphy

C - Jonas | Hayes  

If Murphy is ready to start I'd probably slot him in at the 2 guard spot because Ingram, Zion, and Graham are all capable ball handlers. And a trio of Murphy/Ingram/Zion would be able to switch anything and it would also allow NAW to come off the bench in a 6th man, instant offense type of role. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I feel like a team with Whiteside caps itself at middle of the pack. I suppose Utah has the most talent he's ever played with before though so who knows. 

I think a team that's going to depend on Kris Dunn and Al Horford to start caps itself near the bottom of the Eastern Conference. 

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Cleveland apparently interested in Josh Hart via sign & trade. Doubt it happens, but I would LOVE Nance on this team.

Nance would be an excellent fit on your roster, you really don't currently have a 4 behind Zion. IIRC Cleveland was looking to move LNJ salary because they just paid Allen and have the Sexton extension looming, so not sure they'd want to take a ton of salary back. Although Hart does fit a need for them and fits their timeline so it would be a solid deal for both sides. 

• Like 1