NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

New Orleans would be an interesting fit for Lowry, if they break the bank I could see it. But I'd guess that he ends up in Miami. The Pelicans need a PG bad, who would NY or Chicago be able to offer them? And Norman Powell has averaged like 1 assist per game, he's not a PG.

The problem is what does New Orleans offer that Miami can't?  Miami is a destination location.  They can both offer max contracts.  Miami offers Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo.  New Orleans offers Brandon Ingram and Zion Williamson.  I'm sorry, but it's no contest.  It's a two horse race with Miami and Dallas, and Miami being the very heavy favorite.  If I had to put odds, I'd say Miami at 80%, Dallas at 15%, and the field at 5%.

Considering the Raptors interest in Lonzo Ball the only way they'd be able to acquire him would be via S&T. Because they'll be sitting at $108M after they sign Scottie Barnes. Unless they decline Barnes option (has to be done tomorrow) and cut Rodney Hood, DeAndre Bembry, Paul Watson, Yuta Watanabe, and Freddie Gillespie (all has to be done by Tuesday) to shed their non-guaranteed contracts. Which would create $26M in cap space for them. But they also have Gary Trent Jr in restricted free agency and I'd imagine he gets a pretty decent deal. @CWood21

Lonzo Ball by virtue of being a RFA is going to be incredibly difficult to get away from New Orleans.  It's either going to require a S&T or for the Pelicans to not want to pay them.  When was the last time a notable RFA left for another franchise?  If Toronto (or any other franchise) wants him, they'll have to work with New Orleans.

Also @kyle21121@CWood21 a S&T of Lowry for Ball would also make the Raptors decision to pass on Suggs at #4 for Barnes make a lot more sense. 

Timing of it would make it damn near impossible.  Teams aren't allowed to talk to prospective FAs that aren't their own, so it'd be incredibly risky if they passed on Suggs because they thought they might Ball.  No, it probably had more to do with their preference of Barnes over Suggs.

52 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

No way can afford to lose a guy like Caruso who is such a good glue guy that does all the little things.

If he was getting a 15 million offer or something. I'd understand them not wanting to pay that with the luxury tax, but if he's getting like 9-10 and they chose not to, then they are stupid and aren't serious about making a run for a title.

I'd probably put ~$12M as the high point for what he's going to get, but I think it's highly unlikely he sniffs anywhere near there.  Maybe he get a non-taxpayers MLE, but even then that seems high.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably put it closer to 5%, if not less.

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me that they are still trying to work it, but you sent the assets (Kuz, KCP, 1st) that the Kings would've wanted. Not sure what team out there makes sense for Schroder that would give up something the Kings want.

46 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Point 1: I don't see any team that's interested in Schroder being willing to give up assets to acquire him, because I'd assume those teams would be New York, New Orleans, and Chicago who could just sign him outright. Unless Chicago wants to do a S&T of Lauri for Schroder. 

Point 2: As CWood said, for it to work salary wise in a Schroder S&T that nets Buddy back, Schroder would have to get like $19M in year 1. Does Sacramento want to trade Buddy for THT on a deal like that? Probably not. Also what is THT going to learn from Russ? How to ball hog and miss open 3's? lol.

Point 3: Everything you're currently saying about Caruso is what they were saying about Matty D when he played with LeBron in Cleveland. Dude got a big deal and fell off, lol.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/playoffs/2015/05/15/matthew-dellavedova-david-blatt-lebron-james/27353521/

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba/news/lebron-james-matthew-dellavedova-does-everything-correct/o1mpvf4ld0o812nozvvsbk4ts

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably put ~$12M as the high point for what he's going to get, but I think it's highly unlikely he sniffs anywhere near there.  Maybe he get a non-taxpayers MLE, but even then that seems high.

Delly got 4 yr/$38M 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Timing of it would make it damn near impossible.  Teams aren't allowed to talk to prospective FAs that aren't their own, so it'd be incredibly risky if they passed on Suggs because they thought they might Ball.  No, it probably had more to do with their preference of Barnes over Suggs.

They can clear enough space to pay Lonzo $20-24M APY either way.

I agree and if he can be had for less than 10, then there is no reason not to pay it.

He's worth more than 5-6 though, especially to us.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Lonzo Ball by virtue of being a RFA is going to be incredibly difficult to get away from New Orleans.  It's either going to require a S&T or for the Pelicans to not want to pay them.  When was the last time a notable RFA left for another franchise?  If Toronto (or any other franchise) wants him, they'll have to work with New Orleans.

Lonzo Ball done with the Pelicans

Eric Pincus: I’ve hard the Lonzo/Pels marriage is over

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me that they are still trying to work it, but you sent the assets (Kuz, KCP, 1st) that the Kings would've wanted. Not sure what team out there makes sense for Schroder that would give up something the Kings want.

Reportedly, the Lakers didn't even offer their FRP.  It was reportedly Kuzma/Harrell for Hield.  I think the best thing for the Lakers is to see the Knicks stay out of it.  IF they're out of it, it's far more likely that Shcroder needs to be S&Ted to get the money he's looking for.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I agree and if he can be had for less than 10, then there is no reason not to pay it.

He's worth more than 5-6 though, especially to us.

6 ppg on 36% FG and 29% 3FG while Booker averaged nearly 30 ppg on 50% FG, lol. Dude sucks.

Reportedly, the Lakers didn't even offer their FRP.  It was reportedly Kuzma/Harrell for Hield.  I think the best thing for the Lakers is to see the Knicks stay out of it.  IF they're out of it, it's far more likely that Shcroder needs to be S&Ted to get the money he's looking for.

Or the Bulls can rescind their offer to Lauri and sign him outright or involve Lauri in a S&T.