Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think its a harder sell at QB to have a guy like this though.  I mean the QB is the guy that will be on the banners, the guy you want people to buy his jersey, the guy who's selling tickets. I think there will be some owners who say no to a Watson trade. 

Absolutely - but you only need 2-3 owners to say yes for Watson to get traded at near-full market value.  I think it will be more than that, just because talent wins out over values for enough teams (and to be clear, if this is a misdemeanor offense at most, as sensationalistic as it comes off, it's pretty easy for the teams to sell the "we believe in second chances" line used for so many "questionable character" signings).

• Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

Absolutely - but you only need 2-3 owners to say yes for Watson to get traded at near-full market value.  I think it will be more than that, just because talent wins out over values for enough teams (and to be clear, if this is a misdemeanor offense at most, as sensationalistic as it comes off, it's pretty easy for the teams to sell the "we believe in second chances" line used for so many "questionable character" signings).

Yep. If it is only a misdemeanor and the lawsuits settle without public admission they will simply go with the redemption story line. Sure there will be some fans that don't buy it and get upset, but it will hardly kill the branding... And if they start winning with him at QB you already know most of those fans will come crawling back anyways. Winning is pretty much all that matters in the NFL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yep. If it is only a misdemeanor and the lawsuits settle without public admission they will simply go with the redemption story line. Sure there will be some fans that don't buy it and get upset, but it will hardly kill the branding... And if they start winning with him at QB you already know most of those fans will come crawling back anyways. Winning is pretty much all that matters in the NFL.

Bingo - it's risk tolerance.

Bringing in Watson is going to lose part of the base, sure. But, Watson winning football games is going to bring a few of them back, but it's also going to bring in a lot of bandwagon/fence fans who only care about winning... and "conspiracy theorists" and "Watson truthers" who think this entire case was some sort of orchestrated effort by the Texans FO (they exist, just read through a few pages of this thread).

You also have to factor in that Watson brings in a very dedicated Clemson fanbase, too - Texans merchandise saw an uptick in South Carolina, and I expect whatever team gets Watson will experience a similar uptick.

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The way I look at it is that if Michael Vick could be given a second chance, Deshaun Watson, who is a far better player than Vick was, will certainly be playing for someone sooner or later.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The way I look at it is that if Michael Vick could be given a second chance, Deshaun Watson, who is a far better player than Vick was, will certainly be playing for someone sooner or later.

Agreed; I personally caught a fair amount of heat to suggest otherwise in the DEN forum, and there are still several posters who said they'd stop being DEN fans if we got Watson.  I respect the stance, but I don't actually think the impact will be nearly as great on fanbase loyalty as ppl think.   

FWIW, I don't know if DEN will get involved - simply because ownership would have to sign off, and our ownership is very much in question right now.    It certainly wouldn't be a question of the talent

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Agreed; I personally caught a fair amount of heat to suggest otherwise in the DEN forum, and there are still several posters who said they'd stop being DEN fans if we got Watson.  I respect the stance, but I don't actually think the impact will be nearly as great on fanbase loyalty as ppl think.   

Yep.  People will forgive and forget eventually.