Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Or, this may be crazy, they could give Tua the rest of the season to prove himself and possibly avoid giving up assets for Watson.

I know this is a competitive sport but if you were Tua would you want to? He has been constantly trying to prove himself and get in a rhythm but its impossible. They have very minimal weapons the oline is legit garbage cans and he is running for his life. No time to throw, minimal weapons in waddle and gesicki, he has 2 offensive coordinators to deal with, had a different OC last year so new playbooks. No clue who is making the offensive calls. The defense is swiss cheese so when he does put up respectable numbers it is his fault when it comes to them getting a loss. Im not saying tua is going to be the next marino but with the right system (coaching staff) a respectable oline in which he isnt running for and an actual run game where they can move the ball on the ground he would be in an ideal situation to succeed and I have yet to see Miami do that. Stick him in Cleveland and I would say he would have similar success to what Baker has, with that oline run game and weapons. Unfortunately for Miami fans its a dysfunctional organization, you have a guy in Grier who has been a director of college players since 2007, promoted to GM in 2016, people say he didnt have full say for a couple of years but his job is to scout players and put it to paper for them to draft players yet the only players remaining on the team from the first round is Parker, outside of 2019 and 2020 draft. Not to mention the constant questionable contracts that were thrown out there such as Van Noy, Flowers, Lawson who signed multi year deals to only get cut or traded a year later. They have been whiffing on talent for over a decade, then you have an owner who wants to be involved in everything. You dump grier and ross takes a step back maybe then they would be able to move in the right direction. Its not tua's fault for his failure as they were ready to move off him after week 2 hes only played 13 games and your already labeling him a bust. Heck if that was the case for my team Josh Allen would no longer be an option as he struggled with the talent he had around him year 1 and 2. 

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Or, this may be crazy, they could give Tua the rest of the season to prove himself and possibly avoid giving up assets for Watson.

Oh they absolutely could. 

Too bad the cat is practically out of the bag already though. Thus, the awkward situation. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Trojan said:

If the only team he will waive his trade clause for is the Dolphins then what a waste of time this entire trade demand has been. Seems hard to believe a reporter never asked Deshaun what teams he would accept. If he really only will play for Miami his trade value is like a 2nd or 3rd because the options are pay him to be inactive, cut him, or trade to one option only. There is no bidding war if that's the only team he would play for right? Dolphins should ask for Tunsil to be part of the deal if the Texans want 3 firsts +.

Dude just wanted to get closer to Jupiter. But he wouldn't openly say that. 

He signed the second biggest contract in NFL history and essentially quit a few months later after demanding all sorts of unclarified demands. Does Deshaun Watson strike you as someone who doesn't waste time often? Lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Dude just wanted to get closer to Jupiter. But he wouldn't openly say that. 

He signed the second biggest contract in NFL history and essentially quit a few months later after demanding all sorts of unclarified demands. Does Deshaun Watson strike you as someone who doesn't waste time often? Lol

Haha nice under the radar comment right there, getting a little Robert Kraft shout out with that one. 

It was ridiculous yesterday when Omar Kelly and others emphasized Tua is not the problem. Who cares about 2021? It screamed as a regression season and played out that way. When the situational arrow is in the down direction the final result can end up well beyond the estimated parameters. I warned about that on Finheaven after 2020 and especially after the asinine trade of the first round pick to the 49ers. Chris Grier is a subjective goof who has no clue regarding big picture realities that dictate outcomes decade after decade. 

The good news for the Dolphins is that 2022 sets up as a positive season as long as the team doesn't win more than 7 games this year. That would trigger 75% likelihood to bounce upward. The key is to get as close to 7 wins without going over. We used to joke about that all the time in Las Vegas betting circles, that it's like The Price is Right.

Fast forward to midseason 2022. The Dolphins are surprising all the geniuses who are clueless regarding bounce. They are having an uptick season as everything that went wrong in 2021 logically normalizes. But is Tua Tagovailoa the guy to turn a 9 or 10 win season on merit into an 11+ win season that makes you a legitimate contender? That's the only valid question. If you have an elite quarterback then the negative regression scenarios can be partially negated if not tamed altogether.

Tua is a great guy. I desperately wanted the Dolphins to acquire him. I'd have to say he is not the answer. There is nothing special about his skill set other than short range accuracy. Downfield he is nowhere near as lethal as someone like Burrow. 

This is a ruthless business by definition. The Dolphins should make this trade. There is no other logical method to acquire a quarterback of Watson's caliber. If Miami sticks with Tua then within a year or two the fanbase will be suck with the numbing reality that their quarterback is a great guy but simply not a special player by NFL standards. And I am more than willing to stand alone on the insistence that Jack Easterby is responsible for Watson's situation. When a guy uses a term like cultural fit he is capable of anything and he's already taking numerous additional devious steps along those lines. It is so laughably pathetic that more people don't grasp that.

6 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

And I am more than willing to stand alone on the insistence that Jack Easterby is responsible for Watson's situation.

That's fine. The facts are against you, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's possible that Easterby is a snake (he is) AND Watson is a pervert (it's alleged).

21 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Tua is a great guy. I desperately wanted the Dolphins to acquire him. I'd have to say he is not the answer. There is nothing special about his skill set other than short range accuracy. Downfield he is nowhere near as lethal as someone like Burrow. 

This is a ruthless business by definition. The Dolphins should make this trade. There is no other logical method to acquire a quarterback of Watson's caliber. If Miami sticks with Tua then within a year or two the fanbase will be suck with the numbing reality that their quarterback is a great guy but simply not a special player by NFL standards. And I am more than willing to stand alone on the insistence that Jack Easterby is responsible for Watson's situation. When a guy uses a term like cultural fit he is capable of anything and he's already taking numerous additional devious steps along those lines. It is so laughably pathetic that more people don't grasp that.

I have seen nothing from Tua that would doubt that he can be the answer at QB. In fact, he's exceeded my expectations in virtually every area. He's played well despite an inept offensvie line and most of our weapons being in and out of the lineup with injury. While yes, his short-range accuracy is great, his biggest strength is likely his quick release (one of the quickest in the NFL). Arm strength and deep accuracy have also not shown to be an issue, although deep passes are hard to call currently for the Dolphins, as the offensive line instantly disintegrates every play, making longer developed throws infeasible of no fault to Tua's.

I have a feeling the immediate success of Burrow and Herbert (likely more the latter since he was picked one pick after Tua) is to blame for this hive mentality against Tua. But such immediate success is an exception, not the rule (see: the struggles of the rookie QBs this season). Most QBs go through growing pains before they blossom. He's not just a nice guy, but he has all the tools to succeed. Durability is probably the most glaring issue with him, admittedly, but talent isn't going to hold him back.

Tua isn't the reason the Dolphins are 1-7... he's actually one of the major reasons we've been competitive in all three that he's played fully (and won one). The Dolphins are 1-7 due to a defense that has completely regressed and inept blocking up front. He's a lot better right now than most are giving him credit for, and people are underplaying his ceiling by an unfair degree.

He's a player with only 13 career starts, and very promising play in that span. Cool the jets and let him develop like the vast majority of QBs require.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tua isn't the reason the Dolphins are 1-7... he's actually one of the major reasons we've been competitive in all three that he's played fully (and won one). The Dolphins are 1-7 due to a defense that has completely regressed and inept blocking up front. He's a lot better right now than most are giving him credit for, and people are underplaying his ceiling by an unfair degree.

He's a player with only 13 career starts, and very promising play in that span. Cool the jets and let him develop like the vast majority of QBs require.

Hmm...the Dolphins are 1-6. Closet Bills fan? Lol. 

Tua has been playing quite well this season, much to my relief. He's pretty good. Just wasn't sure after last year but with an offseason and training camp as starter, he made The Step. Whew. 

#32 ranked defense tho, this team is truly awful until that stat improves. Last year's defense seemed like a bright glimmer with hopeful future but in hindsight it appears to have been sheer dumb luck based on Fins getting a massive amount of turnovers.

Under the spotlight of reality this season, the defense can stop no one. No pass rush, can't stop the run. That final game of the 2020 season was a harbinger of Things To Come when the Bills easily dropped 56 points on the Fins...nothing has improved since that game. I've lost count of how many times DB Byron Jones has been torched. 

Spoiler

It would be poetic justice if it was a straight-up trade for TJ Watt, though, the prodigal family returning to Houston.

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I have a feeling a surprise team is going to come in and stun us all and trade for him. They are probably doing their homework on the situation as we speak

Steelers. Send a first, future 1st and Najae. Big Ben...who cares.

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So is speaking on a situation as if you know for a fact it happened.

It happened. We just don't know all the details. I'm not going to convict him in a court of law with what we know, but he deserves no benefit of the doubt in public opinion. He could have already put all the texts out there, as well as private messages etc. to clear his name. He is on that exempt list for this long without a peep because he has been in negotiations to settle and make this go away. He's not innocent.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1