Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

10 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

This is wild. How would Cleveland possibly afford both Watson and Baker in scenario 2 you've presented? Watson's contract doesn't become void because of a suspension, and Cleveland would not be let off the hook considering they would have traded for him while they knew a suspension was likely.

conduct detrimental to the team and you release him voiding the contract guarantees if he is guilty
they would be trading for him assuming he is innocent and no suspension is likely, then since it is only settled after the year if his conduct was detrimental you get out of the contract.

I would find it far more unlikely a team would trade for him expecting a suspension and assuming he was guilty.

Baker costs this year basically what Marcus Mariota cost the Raiders last year. Next year he is 18. They have like 9 in room now and Watson is ~10 because the rest was a prorated bonus. Watson this year as a rental. Then Watson in 22 is either the franchise QB and Baker is gone (trade), or Watson is guilty and you void the guarantees and return to Baker who didn't "lose" his job just Watson replaced him while his shoulder was messed up and the Browns had a shot.

Edited by Trojan

2 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Jack Easterby doesn't want to trade Watson before the deadline. You always have to place ultimate focus on how that side thinks. The priority is lancing the enemy, not improving your own situation. Easterby doesn't care about the won/loss record or acquiring draft picks to fortify the future. He would delight in forcing an elite quarterback to sit and twist for an entire season during his brief athletic prime. That is a huge win toward total cleansed control.

Did anyone actually believe that when Easterby fired the highly regarded publicity director for "not a cultural fit" that it would be a one and done? I knew instantly he would aim much higher but mostly be able to cover his tracks when he did. These guys find and embrace likeminded weasels all the way up the ladder. Trading favors. 

I don't disagree with your assessment on Easterby, but your conspiracy theory literally doesn't fit the timeline - the first set of actions between Ashley Solis and Tony Buzbee took place around Week 16 of the NFL season, while Watson was still playing and in good graces with the organization. Week 17, Easterby was praising Watson in his pre-game preamble:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

Easterby delivered a speech that was described in multiple direct accounts as a lengthy missive intended to be rousing. The discourse centered almost entirely on Deshaun Watson, the Texans’ star quarterback at the end of a historically great—if wasted—season. Easterby, those sources said, was effusive in his praise for the quarterback, but to the dismay of many, he did not extend the same attention to: J.J. Watt, the team leader and greatest player in franchise history, who was on the verge of completing only his second healthy season in the past five years; the turmoil that engulfed the organization; the midseason firing of coach Bill O’Brien; or the future of a franchise seeking new leadership.

But multiple players texted their representatives that night to describe a meandering address unlike any they’d heard. Others, one source said, left the meeting “pissed off,” believing Easterby’s only intention was to curry favor with the quarterback. Watson, if anything, was embarrassed by the show, two sources said.

According to multiple sources, Easterby has reached out to several players this week with a personal plea. Often through tears, he’s shared accounts of his receiving death threats and his family’s having to relocate to a hotel. He implored these players to support him to prominent Texans, like Watson, or publicly, these sources say.

So, the allegations started to bubble up around Week 16, Easterby speaks to get in good graces with Watson in Week 17 as well as immediately after the Nick Caserio hire.

This isn't Easterby's Master plan. It's been in motion well before Watson was disgruntled, and well before Easterby scrambled for Watson's support through other players (speculated to be Brandin Cooks, someone who is very close to both Easterby and Watson).

I don't like the guy moreso than anyone else close to this situation, but this isn't him if you follow the facts.

4 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Doesn’t sound like this will be resolved by the deadline 

I think it is close to happening, but I don't think it can get done before the trade deadline. It of course may expediate the settling of his civil cases since there were already overtures made by the defense and sticking point being the non disclosure agreement which Watson wasn't willing to agree to.

Watson choosing to settle now, while he reportedly fears it is an admission of guilt, provides him cover since it is the only way he can get the trade done and get on with his life sooner rather than later.  No matter how it plays out, he will not emerge from a either settlement or public trial smelling like a rose. Better to bite the bullet (if the terms are right). Use the trade deadline as motivation/reason /excuse to settle; and move on with his life in another city which is what he wanted from the beginning; and above all learn from this mess. Dollars to donuts if the civil cases settle, the criminal investigation likely collapses. 

• Like 1

If the only team he will waive his trade clause for is the Dolphins then what a waste of time this entire trade demand has been. Seems hard to believe a reporter never asked Deshaun what teams he would accept. If he really only will play for Miami his trade value is like a 2nd or 3rd because the options are pay him to be inactive, cut him, or trade to one option only. There is no bidding war if that's the only team he would play for right? Dolphins should ask for Tunsil to be part of the deal if the Texans want 3 firsts +.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He isn’t getting traded till at the earliest next offseason. Not really that surprising. 

That's gotta be awkward for the Dolphins. 

"Hey Tua, we're ditching you for this guy we hope plays again some day."

"Oh, when do I need to move?"

"Well, see, here's the thing, we're trading for him in like 3 or 4 months or so, so we still need you for the next 10 weeks or so. But standby afterwards, because we might not trade for him."

Honestly, unless the expected trade package includes Tua, they may as well try and move him before the deadline and roll with Brissett. 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

"Well, see, here's the thing, we're trading for him in like 3 or 4 months or so, so we still need you for the next 10 weeks or so. But standby afterwards, because we might not trade for him."

Honestly, unless the expected trade package includes Tua, they may as well try and move him before the deadline and roll with Brissett. 

If they trade Tua at the deadline, then go for Deshaun in the offseason they have to pay whatever asking price the Texans want especially if his name is cleared.

Makes more sense to me to trade Tua to replace Big Ben or something after acquiring Deshaun in the offseason -- especially if Watsons price is lower than market because he won't accept a trade elsewhere and Tua's potentially upped in a questionable class.

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-qb-tua-tagovailoa-on-trade-rumors-i-don-t-not-feel-wanted

That typo in the title has been on the NFL.com website all day. Lol what a joke. 

That's the quote not a typo. Tua said "I don't not feel wanted" when they asked him about how he feels with the trade rumors. He said a double negative on purpose, he says it in the video.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Or, this may be crazy, they could give Tua the rest of the season to prove himself and possibly avoid giving up assets for Watson.