Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Im curious about whether the NFLPA will step in at some point here.  Look I know Watson is accused of a lot of stuff here, but as of right now these are just allegations.  How do the Texans continue to both not trade Watson and keep him on the bench?  If they’re not going to trade him doesn’t he have the right to play?

Isn’t he still getting paid a **** load of money? Joe Flacco could say he wants to play. As long as they’re honoring their contractual obligations I don’t see what the union can do. Plus if they start trying to get into allotment of playing time they’re basically saying some union members are more important than others.

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Watson is content sitting on the bench - pre-allegations, he made it very clear he wasn't going to play for the Texans. Despite the allegations, that stance hasn't really changed. 

Wouldn’t he want to play now that he knows he’s not getting traded before the deadline?

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Im curious about whether the NFLPA will step in at some point here.  Look I know Watson is accused of a lot of stuff here, but as of right now these are just allegations.  How do the Texans continue to both not trade Watson and keep him on the bench?  If they’re not going to trade him doesn’t he have the right to play?

Put very simply, no. 

As for the NFLPA.... that's a good question. My guess is they likely don't. They've been seen for a while now as the "good guys" when it comes to dealing with NFL owners and franchises, and typically have a positive public image.

The accusations, though certainly not finalized in the legal system, have absolutely passed the point of only being allegations. What I mean by that is there's something. Is that something a prosecutable crime that he'll be found guilty of? That we don't, and won't, know for a while.  

My guess is the NFLPA fully understands the immense backlash and negative coverage they would get by stepping in on Watson's behalf. It would be a lose-lose situation for them to do so before the legal system finishes it's side of things, mostly because Deshaun Watson isn't being aggrieved in any material way. The Texans aren't breaching his contract by not paying him. To step in would essentially be the NFLPA acting as Watson's PR team and the only thing they might accomplish is getting Watson plastered all over the TV playing for another team, which would make them look terrible if he's later convicted. 

If I'm counseling the NFLPA, I'm telling them to stay away from it unless Watson's contract is somehow breached. Conversely, if I'm counseling Watson, I'm telling the NFLPA (via myself or through Watson) to stay away unless the Texans breach the contract. He doesn't need the added publicity, the NFLPA doesn't need the risk of awful press, and nobody currently is being aggrieved (except for, ironically, the Texans in a roundabout way since Watson would likely prefer to sit on the sidelines than play for the people paying him to play if the team actually asked him to lol). 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not for Jack Easterby and Cal McNair. According to sources, he hates them both... and both hate him:

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-owner-cal-mcnair-hate-each-other-trade-miami-dolphins

Sources were never required. Blatantly obvious. That's why I've never shied from asserting that Easterby has taken steps against Watson that are equally obvious and aligned with the mindset atop the organization. McNair and Easterby are perfectly willing to suffer through a miserable season -- and then some -- if they can exit this situation with shared delight that they defeated Deshaun Watson in terms of maiming his reputation for life.

Just because there isn't a similar example in recent NFL history doesn't mean we should be in pathetic denial. 

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Nope. He just has a right to get paid.

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Sources were never required. Blatantly obvious. That's why I've never shied from asserting that Easterby has taken steps against Watson that are equally obvious and aligned with the mindset atop the organization. McNair and Easterby are perfectly willing to suffer through a miserable season -- and then some -- if they can exit this situation with shared delight that they defeated Deshaun Watson in terms of maiming his reputation for life.

Just because there isn't a similar example in recent NFL history doesn't mean we should be in pathetic denial. 

I've already shown you how what you're saying is impossible. Lawsuits starting collecting before Watson and McNair/Easterby fell out, back when Watson was trying to work with McNair to select the next GM.

As I stated before - it's possible they don't like each other AND Watson committed the crimes he's alleged to commit.

That doesn't seem to register with you, though.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, I just don’t agree. I watched our GM (Bruce Allen) do this exact same thing with Trent Williams and Kirk Cousins. Two guys that probably should’ve brought us multiple first round picks plus more ended up getting us two thirds and a 5th. Yes the circumstances are somewhat different because of how long Watson is signed but it does start to create diminished returns.

If I were the Texans and the Dolphins are offering me two firsts plus one player I’d take it and move on. Two firsts would go along well to helping your rebuild. I can’t imagine the eagles would have issues giving up two of their firsts in the upcoming draft as well. This whole stance of wanting three first round picks plus multiple stud young players is absurd considering the issues Watson is involved in. The team trading for Watson is assuming a ton of risk so the Texans have to understand how much this hurts his trade value. 

I mean, in our own forum I suggested trading two firsts plus Daron Payne and Antonio Gibson. I’m guessing the Texans wouldn’t take that either which is just absolutely crazy to me. At some point you’re just cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

Well I think what is diminishing the value of watson right now are those off field issues. They can settle on what is being offered now or they can hold on to him and let the off field issues get resolved in February and then be moved in March/April. Value would definitely go up once they find out his suspension situation as the NFL is not committing to a sentence as of yet. If things go away and the nfl gives him a 4-6 game suspension then more teams will be actively pursuing him. Plus it doesnt help that watson has only waived his no trade clause to one team. If he truly wants out he should be waiving it all teams. I am curious as to what teams have offered for him, we keep hearing this 3 1st rd and high end players but nothing has come out yet of actual offers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Lol WHAT? 

First of all, Deshaun Watson maimed his own reputation. Crocodile tears and being "so thankful to the organization" for making him filthy rich turned into "I don't like it here and refuse to honor my contract" in a matter of months. Then he wound up getting himself into, at the very least, very compromising and embarrassing situations that he will never fully recover from in the court of public opinion. 

Second, THEY ARE STILL PAYING the guy. He's not a cheap scout team safety, you know? He wants out so bad he won't suit up, but won't accept a trade except for one team so far. What kind of self-righteous, morally debased, entitled brat does that? 

But beyond Deshaun being a stan for himself, what could McNair and Easterby possibly achieve other than paying out the second largest NFL contract ever for a glorified water boy? 

What, you think Cal and Jack concocted this whole thing to smear Watson? This isn't some podunk town police force where good ol'boyism reigns supreme, it's one of the largest in the country. And the FBI got involved. Do you even comprehend the amount of jeopardy they would be in if this were shown to just be a concerted smear against poor little Deshaun Watson? 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This isn't some podunk town police force where good ol'boyism reigns supreme, it's one of the largest in the country.

If anything - ol'boyism would side with Team Watson; Watson's lawyer (Rusty Hardin) has a son who is the head of HPD Command (Tony Buzbee even complained about this when pressed on whether or not his clients would press criminal charges):

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/buzbee-says-hell-take-evidence-elsewhere-than-hpd-deshaun-watsons-attorney-responds

So, if this was a concocted plan by the most disorganized FO in sports it would have a team of Detectives and FBI agents descending upon it for various counts of conspiracy.

I have more to bury this belief, I just want to see whether or not our friend above wants to dig his hole even deeper. He's been trying to sell this angle for a few days...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Funny watching all these "reliable sources" backtrack now. What tools.

There was never going to be a deal this season - it's perplexing how many people here actually thought it was imminent.

Wishful thinking on my part - I just want this to be over.

• Like 1

Anyone who followed the 2019 Houston governor's race knows that Tony Buzbee has no scruples or integrity whatsoever. He somehow believed that he could take his courtroom slop into the public domain and nobody would call him out on it. That's why he earned one comparison after another to Trump, including in this article:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/tony-buzbee-trump-houston-mayoral-primary/

I howl at anyone who thinks they have details. That is classic ignorance. It is the same type of stupidity that leads people to handicap games or teams based on personnel nitpicking. Those are the guys who left town broke on a bus each of my 24 years in Las Vegas.

Generalities overwhelm specifics. If you know the shared mindset and priorities of Cal McNair, Jack Easterby and Tony Buzbee then you know what happened. It is the same manipulation that causes half the country to actually believe in garbage like election fraud, even though their won't be a peep of that tonight after the result in Virginia.

Edited by Awsi Dooger