Training Camp 2021!

N4L

32 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Not really all that surprising. I think EVERYONE, including Shanny have been pleasantly surprised by how well Lance has asserted himself this early in his first TC. But at the end of the day, this was always going to come down who gives us the best chance to succeed THIS year. So in essence, it's up to Trey to make it obvious that it's him.

Which is to say, yes, Shanahan would feel comfortable playing matchup ball with his QBs.

“Yeah, I do,” he continued. “And the hardest thing is articulating it to you guys. Which I get. But I really try to keep as simple as what gives us the best chance right now to win. And I think our players trust that I’m like that. I think our quarterbacks trust that I’m like that. You can disagree, but it’s hard to take it personally when it’s like that. I hope we’ve got the right guys, the right team, and if they both keep getting better; it should be a good problem for me.”

From Breer's article.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea at all. Matchup ball? Nah, pick one and ride it out with that QB and if it is Jimmy, sprinkle in some Lance for certain plays....But going with both QBs half the game or even starting one in certain games and not the others? That sounds like a terrible idea. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From Breer's article.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea at all. Matchup ball? Nah, pick one and ride it out with that QB and if it is Jimmy, sprinkle in some Lance for certain plays....But going with both QBs half the game or even starting one in certain games and not the others? That sounds like a terrible idea. 

Lol yeah sounds kind dumb. I understand giving Lance a whole series or two and seeing how that plays out but going swap each game or even like you said half the game is just asking for trouble. 

“Trey’s the most detailed guy I’ve ever worked with,” Avery says. “It’s a challenge to coach him because he’s such a perfectionist. He wants to be right every time.”

So Beck—who played quarterback for Shanahan in Washington—helped Lance continue to build the requisite muscle memory, so things that were overly mechanical in the spring would become more reactionary in how he executed the offense the staff was teaching him.

“He’s such a smart kid,” Beck says. “You give him a coaching point and it just makes sense to him. He gets it and he wants it. It all comes back to how Trey’s working.”

This is a common theme from everyone that spends time with Trey.

Saturday can't come soon enough!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So from Posey's article from this morning: 

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2021/8/8/22614610/49ers-training-camp-notes-day-9-the-running-game-is-starting-to-come-together?utm_campaign=ninersnation&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Glad he has the same thoughts as me on Jennings and Lance needing time with the first team OL to actually have somewhat a realistic game situation. Being with the second team OL does nothing since even the great throws would be sacks. 

Glad to read someone is pumping the brakes on starting Lance so early this season. 

Not so glad to read that my Sooner alum Tony Jefferson isn't doing so well.... 🥺

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:06 PM, Forge said:

Who said anything about relying on it? It's a play. That makes it just like any other play. You quite literally said "the threat of it may work better than the actual play could", which is what I was commenting on.  

It's no different than a screen pass or a 9 route. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Nobody is talking about suddenly making this the GT triple option.

Also, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth when you say that you ostensibly say you don't think the *play* is effective, but then adding that it's good to mix in every now and again

Did I? Am I? Sorry. Not at all enamored with the option. I prefer Bill Walsh's style and all that has fallen or grown from that tree.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Grants being a jerk. 

There is one subset of people who worship at the altar of Lombardi on twitter and then there is a group of niner writers  and bloggers and such that can't stand the guy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

There is one subset of people who worship at the altar of Lombardi on twitter and then there is a group of niner writers  and bloggers and such that can't stand the guy. 

Yo you guys need to click on the tweet there going back and forth. Lol 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Yo you guys need to click on the tweet there going back and forth. Lol 

Lombardi is a little too rose colored glasses for me, I will admit. At least at times. He can definitely be too much of a Jimmy apologist, but he's not nearly as bad as the truly anti Jimmy people would have you believe. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

LIS, we have one of the worst beats out there. But looks like there are some good people to follow that don't have agendas such as Posey and Jordan. I have enjoyed listening and reading up on their articles. 

Grant is just so disingenuous that you can't take him serious. Lombardi will live and die off the words of Shanahan and any advanced stats that fit his agenda...Then the rest are just MEH for the most part. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lombardi is a little too rose colored glasses for me, I will admit. At least at times. He can definitely be too much of a Jimmy apologist, but he's not nearly as bad as the truly anti Jimmy people would have you believe. 

I agree he never seems to have his own opinion.