Training Camp 2021!

N4L

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Looked like Lance had a rough day today at the end. Had 4 incompletion straight. And exchange problems with Gallman fumbled twice. 

Yeah, sounds like scrimmage was rough. Before that can’t have been because I’ve seen reports of 7-12 overall for the day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I thought Hurst was more of a penetrating 3T like Kinlaw and Givens? 

The 5 interior guys we have this year make it the deepest I can remember it being. It’s true that no single guy there can match DeFo, but the group, collectively, is a very impressive group. 

From my eye, he's more stout than a shed and get upfield penetrator. Kinlaw as well. Guys like DeFo and Chris Jones are just naturally gifted pass-rushers for their size. Most big guys have to work tireless and learn to better their technique, footwork, hand placement, etc. to just be effective penetrators. Unless you're just absurdly strong and quick like Donald. Those guys came into the league like that and just refined what was already there. Kinlaw will never be the penetrator DeFo was. He's not a natural pass-rusher. He can be effective in his own way, with his size, power and athletic ability. A bigger, stronger Michael Brockers is what I can see in Kinlaw.

Edited by 757-NINER

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

What sold Shanahan and the crew the most about Lance? Just how smart he was and how quickly he picked things up...So this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I know Shanny wants to win this year but also knows Lance needs to go through some growing pains before he takes this team to new heights. The team is freaking deep and loaded and he KNOWS they can win a lot of games with Jimmy....But also knows there is a ceiling there and he has to work harder to call perfect play calls...and that sometimes is not enough.

I really think he figured the team was going to lose a lot of the free agents and was not going to be able to contend but they were able to bring back almost everyone and now is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What sold Shanahan and the crew the most about Lance? Just how smart he was and how quickly he picked things up...So this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I know Shanny wants to win this year but also knows Lance needs to go through some growing pains before he takes this team to new heights. The team is freaking deep and loaded and he KNOWS they can win a lot of games with Jimmy....But also knows there is a ceiling there and he has to work harder to call perfect play calls...and that sometimes is not enough.

I really think he figured the team was going to lose a lot of the free agents and was not going to be able to contend but they were able to bring back almost everyone and now is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Good thing is we have time to see how this all plays out. With Lance taking reps with the 1s here soon per Kyle. Things might be able to clear themselve up quickly with preseason as well. Idk if regardless how Lance plays if he starts week 1. But Lance will be the starter at some point this season imo. Sooner rather then later.

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Good thing is we have time to see how this all plays out. With Lance taking reps with the 1s here soon per Kyle. Things might be able to clear themselve up quickly with preseason as well. Idk if regardless how Lance plays if he starts week 1. But Lance will be the starter at some point this season imo. Sooner rather then later.

Again, I'm not too sold on that. If you let Jimmy go from week 1 and he is healthy? I don't see him losing his spot. He's a good player and the team is going to be doing a whole a lot of winning. You are going to pull him after a loss mid-way through the season? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Looked like Lance had a rough day today at the end. Had 4 incompletion straight. And exchange problems with Gallman fumbled twice. 

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust!!! 

He's CJ Beat  Hard! We gave up all those picks for nothing! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, I'm not too sold on that. If you let Jimmy go from week 1 and he is healthy? I don't see him losing his spot. He's a good player and the team is going to be doing a whole a lot of winning. You are going to pull him after a loss mid-way through the season? 

Iits possible Jimmy plays good enough to not lose the job, I just think he has to play flawless every week to keep it. I fully expect Trey to get full series every week with it growing if he's successful. Might just steal the job outright that way. But we will see. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Iits possible Jimmy plays good enough to not lose the job, I just think he has to play flawless every week to keep it. I fully expect Trey to get full series every week with it growing if he's successful. Might just steal the job outright that way. But we will see. 

Nah, that doesn't make much sense to me. You either decide to go with Lance from week 1 or you plan on going with Jimmy this season for as long as he stays healthy. 

Is Lance all of a sudden going to have no growing pains or won't make mistakes in week 8 compared to if he would start from week 1? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, that doesn't make much sense to me. You either decide to go with Lance from week 1 or you plan on going with Jimmy this season for as long as he stays healthy. 

Is Lance all of a sudden going to have no growing pains or won't make mistakes in week 8 compared to if he would start from week 1? 

Oh I agree, I prefer Lance to start from week 1. We will see how Kyle plays this. But Lance can win this, I've said this is Lance vs Lance. If Lance is on rest of camp plus preseason there's nothing Jimmy can do to keep the job. We still have 3 preseason games alot can change it's fluid. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

1. Cornerback Ambry Thomas.

Hasn't given up a catch since early in camp. Today, he won all three of his reps during 1 on 1s. First, he broke up a pass intended for Deebo Samuel running a curl route. Next, Thomas broke up a pass intended for Jauan Jennings running an out route. And finally, Thomas knocked down a pass intended for Samuel running a slant. Thomas is beginning to look like a quality player and the second-best corner on the roster behind Jason Verrett. It's time for the 49ers to promote Thomas to the first-string defense. Has has earned it, and they need him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/.amp/news/the-good-and-not-so-good-from-day-8-of-49ers-training-camp-2021?__twitter_impression=true

So, is Thomas playing well or struggling? Some say he is struggling while 49ers.com shows him having two pass break ups and now Grant is saying he has not allowed a catch in a while. You also have those saying Lenoir is the better of the two. 

Why is the 49ers coverage so inconsistent depending on who reports these things? Lol. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/.amp/news/the-good-and-not-so-good-from-day-8-of-49ers-training-camp-2021?__twitter_impression=true

So, is Thomas playing well or struggling? Some say he is struggling while 49ers.com shows him having two pass break ups and now Grant is saying he has not allowed a catch in a while. You also have those saying Lenoir is the better of the two. 

Why is the 49ers coverage so inconsistent depending on who reports these things? Lol. 

Cohn was actually one of the first of the media@TC I saw who called out Thomas for looking lackuster and questioned if they got it wrong with his pick. Gotta love the media...from bum to goat in a matter of days.