Training Camp 2021!

N4L

The only real sad part is that I think there is a highly unlikely chance that we get anything of real value for Jimmy. I thought if he started all year, we could ship him to a team like Pitt or Washington or someone like that next year before the draft for like two seconds. That idea is rapidly falling into the distance. 

At this point I think it's more likely that we will hear about us redoing his deal where he takes a paycut to like 10-12 million and we keep him on the roster as a back up and we rip up the final year of his deal. Maybe we are able to trade him at some point of the year with an injury assist but that seems very unlikely. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

i thought he was going to be the one to fall in the draft lol. 

Honestly, I liked him as a prospect, had him #9 on my big board so I was fine with everything around him, but I'm not going to lie and say that I would have had the guts to have traded all those picks to move up to 3 to draft him. I wouldn't have. The things that were really great about him were super, super great...the things that aren't were pretty bad. I mean, I don't think he's ever going to be the natural passer and as naturally accurate as some of these others...but that could actually be an excellent combo with Shanny who tends to generate a bajillion miles of separation LOL

I wouldn't get too giddy...its really fun and awesome to have him come out and perform so well. But with QBs...always tricky, and it's a different monster when Jalen Ramsey is out there blanketing Aiyuk and Donald about to pancake your butt. Survival mode kicks in, nerves, the need to be frantic...it's really hard to simulate all that in camp. It's a process. The next one is to put him in and fully integrate him with the starters and just see if he can succeed in vanilla practice situations. Then preseason against starters and NFL game speed, but vanilla defensive packages. And then you're into the real games. 

I was all for taking him at 12, obviously we will never know if he would have lasted that long, although if all reports are true, he would not have been. I was definitely hesitant about giving up two future 1st to move up to 3 for him, but we are being reminded again this year, that we have no idea how these guys interview and what they've got going on above the shoulders. We all saw the physical attributes Lance had, but I don't think any of us expected him to progress mentally this quickly. His mental acuity teamed with his work ethic and physical attributes are what are going to give him a chance to be great. To me, the only thing that scared me about Lance was his accuracy, but that doesn't seem to have been much of an issue thus far; it seems like when he does miss, he is missing where no defender has a chance at the ball for the most part. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He's in the absolute best position I can recall a rookie QB walking into other than Mahomes, whose Chiefs had lost in the playoffs the previous year.

I'm trying not to get too giddy. I mean I had serious reservations on whether or not this kid was even worthy of a #3 overall pick. But everything I've read so far have been ppl who have just been gushing over Lance's potential and what he can do already that ppl just didn't realize. I'm at the point where I'm actually trying not to believe the hype and trying to temper my expectations. But everyday there's a new throw or play that has everybody in awe of this 21 year old rookie. 

This fanbase was spoiled, going from Montana to Young. Then a couple of decent years from guys like Garcia & Kap but no true difference maker at the position for almost 20 years. Could we finally have found a franchsie QB in a kid with no P5 offers@QB out of hs, with only ONE college season under his belt???? Just hard for me to fathom right now.

Entirely over-looking Alex Smith, are we? He contributed longer than Kaep, who was a literal flash in the pan. Kaep ascended higher, faster, but burned out much sooner. 

14 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Entirely over-looking Alex Smith, are we? He contributed longer than Kaep, who was a literal flash in the pan. Kaep ascended higher, faster, but burned out much sooner. 

They pretty much had the same exact worthwhile tenure in sf which is kind of funny. 1.5 years. 2011 + first half of 2012 for Smith, second half of 2012 + 2013 for kaep. 

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The Raiders keep racking up the mistakes. If they don't do well this season, I can see it being the last for Gruden/Mayock.

It won't be for Gruden. That's why Mayock is there...he's the sacrificial lamb. Too much left on Gruden's deal. The problem is, I can't even say for sure that Mayock has done a craptastic job because I don't even know how much of the drafting has been on him. Gruden just does that Gruden thing. For all I know, he's the one pulling the strings on the picks and whatnot. I'm not sure what exactly Mayock has control of. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Interesting Demeco Ryan said we will see if there's a competition with Tavon Wilson and Tartt.

Doesn't need to be one. We can pencil in someone besides Tartt to start and play at least 4 games this season no matter what. 

• Like 2

I was on the Lance train the day we made the trade. He always made the most sense to me and had the most potential of the bunch. The fact he was good at the small things with such little playing experience to go along with his physical tools made him a home run choice at #3. He's not perfect by any means, but he is a guy that won't turn the ball over much and eventually is going to just light the league on fire. He spent the entire year working on tweaking his throwing motion and studying NFL defenses. A guy with that type of talent and work ethic is not going to fail. You can have a run heavy offense in the early going with him sprinkled with explosive plays. He's also a guy that won't turn the ball over all that much since like Allen/Kap, he throws the ball with a lot of velocity and it is hard for defenders to catch the ball. It is not a coincidence the amount of drops defenders had or have on "interceptable" passes with Allen/Kap. What is impressing several of the beat writers is actually how Lance has no problem taking the easy conservative pass. You worry sometimes of rookies trying to make the big play too often and not taking what the defense gives you. Brady will kill you with those short passes and then depending on how you play his receivers, he will kill you with the deep ball. Lance is obviously not there yet but can be there very soon. 

Also, Breer was at the practice today so you know he's going to have some interesting nuggets on what he saw and has been hearing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

+800 for Trey to win offensive rookie of the year. Basically all hinges on whether or not he starts the season, but if he does, his odds to win the award are far better than that. 

I took this already

I would think you would do the same, but youd probably shower instead....

• Like 1