Training Camp 2021!

N4L

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Assuming Lance keeps showing out...

I think Jimmy starts preseason week 1 against the Chiefs on Aug 14. I think Shanny will likely want to see Lance in some game action/other opponents before anointing him

Second preseason game against the Chargers on Aug 22, especially with the joint practices on Aug 19/20, are a perfect opportunity for Lance to at least split reps with the #1's 

And then i think Lance will start week 3 against the Raiders on Aug 29

After that, it'll depend if there's a trade market for Jimmy. If not, his 2 options are to stick as a backup this year (likely with a paycut and contract torn up after this year) or just be released entirely and wait for an in-season or 2022 opportunity. 

Yup it all depends on Lance showing that he's ready and the team sees it. Preseason is going to be huge on if he can beat out Jimmy. One note Kyle said game 3 will be the game where starters play the most. So see if Jimmy and Lance might split with the 1s for game 3. 

You have to start putting Lance run against the first defense. You have to see precisely where he is at. If he falters, that's okay. But to not get a better understanding of what he can do right now is a disservice to both the team and the quarterback. Hopefully we see him starting to get real reps against the first string. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

You have to start putting Lance run against the first defense. You have to see precisely where he is at. If he falters, that's okay. But to not get a better understanding of what he can do right now is a disservice to both the team and the quarterback. Hopefully we see him starting to get real reps against the first string. 

Yeah, he's at the point where he doesn't need to demonstrate that he knows the offense (that's kind of freaking apparent), he needs to have a feel for starting NFL timing and windows. That's only going to come against Varrett and Ward and Warner because our second team coverage unit is pretty poopy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, he's at the point where he doesn't need to demonstrate that he knows the offense (that's kind of freaking apparent), he needs to have a feel for starting NFL timing and windows. That's only going to come against Varrett and Ward and Warner because our second team coverage unit is pretty poopy.

Yep. Said it a while back...everyone said that "he wasn't ready to start" but the stuff that makes him not ready to start is the stuff that can only be remedied by playing lol. He needs snaps and he needs to throw the ball. He needs to be in there. He's always been the king of the underappreciated eval stuff. We knew he could run and understand NFL concepts. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

+800 for Trey to win offensive rookie of the year. Basically all hinges on whether or not he starts the season, but if he does, his odds to win the award are far better than that. 

He's in the absolute best position I can recall a rookie QB walking into other than Mahomes, whose Chiefs had lost in the playoffs the previous year.

I'm trying not to get too giddy. I mean I had serious reservations on whether or not this kid was even worthy of a #3 overall pick. But everything I've read so far have been ppl who have just been gushing over Lance's potential and what he can do already that ppl just didn't realize. I'm at the point where I'm actually trying not to believe the hype and trying to temper my expectations. But everyday there's a new throw or play that has everybody in awe of this 21 year old rookie. 

This fanbase was spoiled, going from Montana to Young. Then a couple of decent years from guys like Garcia & Kap but no true difference maker at the position for almost 20 years. Could we finally have found a franchsie QB in a kid with no P5 offers@QB out of hs, with only ONE college season under his belt???? Just hard for me to fathom right now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He's in the absolute best position I can recall a rookie QB walking into other than Mahomes, whose Chiefs had lost in the playoffs the previous year.

I'm trying not to get too giddy. I mean I had serious reservations on whether or not this kid was even worthy of a #3 overall pick. But everything I've read so far have been ppl who have just been gushing over Lance's potential and what he can do already that ppl just didn't realize. I'm at the point where I'm actually trying not to believe the hype and trying to temper my expectations. But everyday there's a new throw or play that has everybody in awe of this 21 year old rookie. 

This fanbase was spoiled, going from Montana to Young. Then a couple of decent years from guys like Garcia & Kap but no true difference maker at the position for almost 20 years. Could we finally have found a franchsie QB in a kid with no P5 offers@QB out of hs, with only ONE college season under his belt???? Just hard for me to fathom right now.

i thought he was going to be the one to fall in the draft lol. 

Honestly, I liked him as a prospect, had him #9 on my big board so I was fine with everything around him, but I'm not going to lie and say that I would have had the guts to have traded all those picks to move up to 3 to draft him. I wouldn't have. The things that were really great about him were super, super great...the things that aren't were pretty bad. I mean, I don't think he's ever going to be the natural passer and as naturally accurate as some of these others...but that could actually be an excellent combo with Shanny who tends to generate a bajillion miles of separation LOL

I wouldn't get too giddy...its really fun and awesome to have him come out and perform so well. But with QBs...always tricky, and it's a different monster when Jalen Ramsey is out there blanketing Aiyuk and Donald about to pancake your butt. Survival mode kicks in, nerves, the need to be frantic...it's really hard to simulate all that in camp. It's a process. The next one is to put him in and fully integrate him with the starters and just see if he can succeed in vanilla practice situations. Then preseason against starters and NFL game speed, but vanilla defensive packages. And then you're into the real games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

i thought he was going to be the one to fall in the draft lol. 

Honestly, I liked him as a prospect, had him #9 on my big board so I was fine with everything around him, but I'm not going to lie and say that I would have had the guts to have traded all those picks to move up to 3 to draft him. I wouldn't have. The things that were really great about him were super, super great...the things that aren't were pretty bad. I mean, I don't think he's ever going to be the natural passer and as naturally accurate as some of these others...but that could actually be an excellent combo with Shanny who tends to generate a bajillion miles of separation LOL

I wouldn't get too giddy...its really fun and awesome to have him come out and perform so well. But with QBs...always tricky, and it's a different monster when Jalen Ramsey is out there blanketing Aiyuk and Donald about to pancake your butt. Survival mode kicks in, nerves, the need to be frantic...it's really hard to simulate all that in camp. It's a process. The next one is to put him in and fully integrate him with the starters and just see if he can succeed in vanilla practice situations. Then preseason against starters and NFL game speed, but vanilla defensive packages. And then you're into the real games. 

Oh I'm definitely not anointing him yet. There's absolutely going to be some growing pains when the bullets start flying. It's just a fact. 

BUT I'd be lying to you if I told you that I expected him to look this good, this early. Even if it is against the 2's, I really expected a steep curve going from NDSU to the NFL. Not to mention just the natural course of getting accilamted to the professional game.  I was expecting these kind of reviews in his second TC, not his first lol.

• Like 1