WFT Extends Logan Thomas

HTTRDynasty

On this one, I’ll need to see what the numbers are. 

Assuming he plays as well as he did last year, you can have him locked up for basically 2/$14M ($3.6M this season and let’s say $10.4M on the tag in 2022). If he gets hurt or falls off, you’ve got absolutely no long-term commitment. 

How much further out than that do you really need to go with a 30-year-old TE with one starting season under his belt? 

I’m a fan of continuity, so I’m on board if they got it done at a good price. But there definitely is a price where it won’t make much sense to me. My guess is it’ll be somewhere in between, more of a shrug than a smile or frown. 

• Like 1

Curious to know whether they tore up the remaining year of the previous contract (at $3.6M) or if this extension will just kick in following this season. 

In either case, it is indeed kind of a shrug for me. I’m just not sure they had to jump in with an extension at this point. I would have liked to see it play out a little bit more. Can he stay healthy? Can the blocking continue to take steps forward? Can he be more efficient and make more plays down the field? We’re talking about a guy who was 35th among TEs (with at least 30 targets) in yards per target. That’s not a “we need to extend you right now” level of production, at least in my book. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Curious to know whether they tore up the remaining year of the previous contract (at $3.6M) or if this extension will just kick in following this season. 

In either case, it is indeed kind of a shrug for me. I’m just not sure they had to jump in with an extension at this point. I would have liked to see it play out a little bit more. Can he stay healthy? Can the blocking continue to take steps forward? Can he be more efficient and make more plays down the field? We’re talking about a guy who was 35th among TEs (with at least 30 targets) in yards per target. That’s not a “we need to extend you right now” level of production, at least in my book. 

Agreed. I’m glad to bring him back, but I wasn’t concerned about forcing anything. That said he might just continue to get better too. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We’re talking about a guy who was 35th among TEs (with at least 30 targets) in yards per target. That’s not a “we need to extend you right now” level of production, at least in my book. 

They must think the level of QB play was a major factor in that. I’m not a huge fan of the extension at this point either. Maybe they’re thinking he’s in for a bigger season so they can save a few bucks long term by doing it now

Throwing out the stats and remembering my eyes. He made a bunch of tough contested catches. Critical 3rd downs , 6 TDs and he didn't exactly have a ton of outside help/ threats . Even McLaurin was hobbled a good part of the year. I think he should only improve. I think The Team has gotten ahead of the curve. 

If the numbers aren't rediculas- It's good timing of the extension . Oh yeah , and FOUR QBs. 

Just saw this .. $24 mill. $10.3 guarateed= 3 years

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008801-nfl-rumors-logan-thomas-wft-agree-to-3-year-contract-extension

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, RSkinGM said:

Throwing out the stats and remembering my eyes. He made a bunch of tough contested catches. Critical 3rd downs , 6 TDs and he didn't exactly have a ton of outside help/ threats . Even McLaurin was hobbled a good part of the year. I think he should only improve. I think The Team has gotten ahead of the curve. 

If the numbers aren't rediculas- It's good timing of the extension . Oh yeah , and FOUR QBs. 

Just saw this .. $24 mill. $10.3 guarateed= 3 years

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008801-nfl-rumors-logan-thomas-wft-agree-to-3-year-contract-extension

Yep! It’s a good deal! Only $10.3 million guaranteed means we can probably get out of it after this year if he has a down year - which I don’t expect - or in 2023 at the latest.