PFF's Receiving Corps rankings going into 2021

Hunter2_1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:38 PM, Matts4313 said:

Barring injuries, Cooper should put up another ~1100-1200 yard season. Though I think Ceedee will be our #1 rather soon.

(runs back to home base)

Ceedee is the best receiver of that really good draft class (don't @ me Vikings fans...)

Obviously all the WR suffered from the Dak injury, but I think CeeDee by far was the guy who had that chemistry with Dak, and didn't connect nearly as well with Dalton and company

He's your #1 going into 2022, barring injury

• Like 1

The myopic worship of Dak and those receivers is misplaced.

They put up 17 whole points vs the Rams.

They were down by 8, 17, and 19 at halftime of the other 3 games.

Of course they threw the ball a bunch.

Dak was 7th in adjusted yards per attempt, he just threw a bunch because the team was garbage.

This is a repeat of them winning the week 1-3 Super Bowl in 2019

9 TDs to 2 picks in 3 games was proof of a 48 TD 11 pick undefeated season. Strange that he would up at 30 and 11 on an 8-8 team.

People sleeping on the Steelers WR corps.    I get it....they were pretty abysmal at the end of last year, but everything kinda fell apart.

Juju has shown top level WR ability in the past, but its questionable whether he is a bonafide number 1 WR.

Dionte Johnson is extremely frustrating, because the guy has shown major talent, but he just cant put it all together.   If he does, he is capable of being a number 1.

Claypool looked dominant early last year before we stopped using him.   We will see how he looks in the new offense.

James Washington is a pretty talented guy and he is 4th on our depth chart.   Put up over 700 yards with two terrible QBs in 2019, and last year was unfair to him because he got buried on the depth chart and our offense didn't have a role for him.

Ebron is a solid weapon, even if not a real TE, and we added Pat Friermuth.

Not saying the Steelers are top 10, but it has the talent to be.    Just gonna depend on Bens arm and how the new offense uses them.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Juju has shown top level WR ability in the past, but its questionable whether he is a bonafide number 1 WR.

Juju wants to be used outside more to get paid. I hope he dropped weight in preparation for doing that because he was just way too slow last year. Maybe part of that was the knee and not the extra bulk he added to play the slot. That's been his number one issue. He was a guy who lost a step at the age of 23 between adding too much muscle and knee injuries.

10 hours ago, 43M said:

People sleeping on the Steelers WR corps.    I get it....they were pretty abysmal at the end of last year, but everything kinda fell apart.

Dionte Johnson is extremely frustrating, because the guy has shown major talent, but he just cant put it all together.   If he does, he is capable of being a number 1.

Claypool looked dominant early last year before we stopped using him.   We will see how he looks in the new offense.

James Washington is a pretty talented guy and he is 4th on our depth chart.   Put up over 700 yards with two terrible QBs in 2019, and last year was unfair to him because he got buried on the depth chart and our offense didn't have a role for him.

Ebron is a solid weapon, even if not a real TE, and we added Pat Friermuth.

Not saying the Steelers are top 10, but it has the talent to be.    Just gonna depend on Bens arm and how the new offense uses them.

I agree. I'll go further, it's a top 10 IMO

On 8/4/2021 at 5:31 PM, FrantikRam said:

Chiefs are first here no question. Kelce is better than most WRs.

Don't get Buffalo and Dallas being that high - I wouldnt trade the Rams WRs for either group and Seattle should be ahead of both too. Diggs is good but Metcalf is better.

Denver should also be lower. Miami being up there is a joke.

Good there is a zero percent chance a Bills fan would want to swap WR groups with the Rams LOL. Diggs lead the NFL in catches/yards/targets, Beasley is the best slot WR, Sanders put up 700+ yards and 5 TDs on a run first, NO offense. And Gabriel Davis had 8 TDs as a rookie last year. 

I'm not even going to touch the Metcalf > Diggs point. 

22 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Good there is a zero percent chance a Bills fan would want to swap WR groups with the Rams LOL. Diggs lead the NFL in catches/yards/targets, Beasley is the best slot WR, Sanders put up 700+ yards and 5 TDs on a run first, NO offense. And Gabriel Davis had 8 TDs as a rookie last year. 

I'm not even going to touch the Metcalf > Diggs point. 

So is Diggs the best WR in the NFL? If not, why? Since he led the league in catches/yards/targets

26 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

So is Diggs the best WR in the NFL? If not, why? Since he led the league in catches/yards/targets

I'd say he's right up there yeah. Arguably the best pure route runner in the NFL and even though he's not huge, he can go up and get the ball at its high point.

Metcalf has the potential but last season was his first season breaking 1,000 yards. Diggs has done that 3 seasons in a row, and last season he bested him by 44 receptions and 240 yards.  I get Metcalf is a physical specimen but that doesn't make him better lol. 

EDIT: Also, ESPN poll of executives, players, coaches had Diggs as WR3 and Metcalf at WR9 for what its worth. 

Edited by The BILLievers

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

I'd say he's right up there yeah. Arguably the best pure route runner in the NFL and even though he's not huge, he can go up and get the ball at its high point.

Metcalf has the potential but last season was his first season breaking 1,000 yards. Diggs has done that 3 seasons in a row, and last season he bested him by 44 receptions and 240 yards.  I get Metcalf is a physical specimen but that doesn't make him better lol. 

EDIT: Also, ESPN poll of executives, players, coaches had Diggs as WR3 and Metcalf at WR9 for what its worth. 

I think people tend to overreact. Diggs hasn't come close to what he did last year, and he happened to play with an elite QB. David Boston and Anquan Boldin once led the NFL in yards.

My opinion is that if you swap Hopkins, Adams, Metcalf, Hill, Julio, AJ Brown, and a few others they'd have done better than Diggs. Cooper Kupp is easily a better slot WR than Beasley. That their numbers are comparable speaks more to Josh Allen vs Jared Goff.

Bills WRs are top 10 IMO, but Lockett is also a much better WR than Beasley. So even if you have Diggs above Metcalf, Lockett tilts that too far in Seattle's favor.

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I think people tend to overreact. Diggs hasn't come close to what he did last year, and he happened to play with an elite QB. David Boston and Anquan Boldin once led the NFL in yards.

My opinion is that if you swap Hopkins, Adams, Metcalf, Hill, Julio, AJ Brown, and a few others they'd have done better than Diggs. Cooper Kupp is easily a better slot WR than Beasley. That their numbers are comparable speaks more to Josh Allen vs Jared Goff.

Bills WRs are top 10 IMO, but Lockett is also a much better WR than Beasley. So even if you have Diggs above Metcalf, Lockett tilts that too far in Seattle's favor.

He was also on a run first team with Kirk Cousins and Adam Theilen and is only 27 so he's just scratching his prime. And that's your opinion I personally don't think so since Allens preferred WR is someone who creates separation and Diggs is pretty much the best at that. Would be tough to best 130 receptions and 1500+ yards regardless of which WR you pick. 

No Kupp is not easily a better slot WR than Beasley. Any advanced metrics about separation and catch rate is going to favor Beasley. So will stats.

Lockett and Beasley play a completely different position so not comparable. Ok and the Bills #3 and #4 are better than the Seahawks #3 and #4, what's the point? The bills run a ton of 10 personal and a slot WR is one of the main components of it.

I guess what it comes down to is the Bills WR core would be better than the Seahawks WR core in the Bills offense, but in the Seahawks offense their WR group would be preferred. 

8 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

He was also on a run first team with Kirk Cousins and Adam Theilen and is only 27 so he's just scratching his prime. And that's your opinion I personally don't think so since Allens preferred WR is someone who creates separation and Diggs is pretty much the best at that. Would be tough to best 130 receptions and 1500+ yards regardless of which WR you pick. 

No Kupp is not easily a better slot WR than Beasley. Any advanced metrics about separation and catch rate is going to favor Beasley. So will stats.

Lockett and Beasley play a completely different position so not comparable. Ok and the Bills #3 and #4 are better than the Seahawks #3 and #4, what's the point? The bills run a ton of 10 personal and a slot WR is one of the main components of it.

I guess what it comes down to is the Bills WR core would be better than the Seahawks WR core in the Bills offense, but in the Seahawks offense their WR group would be preferred. 

Lockett plays in the slot quite a bit.

Here's some slot WR rankings:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-best-slot-receivers-tyreek-hill-keenan-allen-juju-smith-schuster/amp/

On 8/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, Norm said:

Take away Adams and they're like 100th in college

Its a strange way to rate WR core.

Those 49ers were a mess without Jerry Rice.

The Falcons without Julio. The Lions without Megatron...

BREAKING NEWS: Great WRs are Great.

GBs 1-4 targets put up 3108 yards and 38 TDs.

Dal 1-4 targets put up 3507 yards and 19 TDs.

That's 20 TDs for GB 2-4 and 14 TDs for Dallas 2-4.

Seattle's 4th best target was Chris Carson. 🤣

The Rams have top 2 guys who did not top 1000 yards last year, and combined for 9 TDs.

So a Superstar WR, a red zone threat TE, and the league leader in yards per catch.

A core 4 that had 3 of the top 17 in yards per target and Adams was not one of them.  (he was 28th)

Now they added a 2nd round pick slot guy and brought back Cobb.

I'd take that over Dallas, LA, or Seattle any day.