J.Schobert in black and gold

mwalker

This kind of came out of nowhere (to me at least) but I think it's a very good signing.
Curious what we're giving up - but Spillane is back up at best and those crosses and screens
are killing our ILBS.

Schobert will help. Smart, with better athleticism than you'd think. And good in the passing game.

Does't hurt he's Watt's old roomie from college.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope he's good in man coverage on TEs. If he can do that and free up Bush to fly around, the defense will be greatly improved.

Historically the passing game has been his strength, so hope so too.
Not that often you can acquire a former All Pro, who's only 27.

• Like 1

The Spillane coverage moment was definitely concerning last week. 

UG3 has been very disappointing for my expectations as I had high hopes previously. 

I am encouraged by Buddy Johnson, like to see him get more of UG3's reps.

Schoberts contract is pretty favorable for Steelers if Jax is picking up much of this years salary. No dead cap money after this season, so if he isnt outstanding you can release him and maybe re-sign. If he is outstanding you get a nice tackling machine with the option to do the same with his contract every year of his remaining deal. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

A quick look at his contract says that the Steelers pay the base but this year's salary is guaranteed so they are paying all 7M of that.  Jags soaked up the signing bonus of 12M but they kept him during his cheap year.  I can't see the Steelers keeping him on the books unless he is the next VW in his prime.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

A quick look at his contract says that the Steelers pay the base but this year's salary is guaranteed so they are paying all 7M of that.  Jags soaked up the signing bonus of 12M but they kept him during his cheap year.  I can't see the Steelers keeping him on the books unless he is the next VW in his prime.

Does this mean we’re paying him 7M this year? If so, that’ll probably take us out of a medium sized signing I’d imagine. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Does this mean we’re paying him 7M this year? If so, that’ll probably take us out of a medium sized signing I’d imagine. 

From what I have seen I think so yes. That's why I was really hoping the report of the Jags picking up some of the money was true. Even if they are taking on $2-3M, it would help us potentially secure another signing down the road. 

I am pretty excited about this signing. I think he is a great fit for this defense. I lobbied for him to sign as a free agent to pair with Bush. The Steelers didn't have the cap space and he was, rightfully so, looking to get paid. 

I think he helps take the defense to another level for several reasons:

1. The ILB depth chart is unknown behind Bush and Spillane without Joe Schobert. Marcus Allen is still a work in progress. Buddy Johnson is a rookie. UG3 can't stay healthy and has not stood out in his play.

2. Takes some reps from Bush who is recovering from surgery.  Although he will most likely start next to Bush, Schobert will allow Spillane some reps and that may prolong the health and wear on all three.

3. Best coverage ILB and most consistent tackling ILB on the roster.

4. Allows the Steelers some improvements in scheme with his skillset. Schematically, he is a great fit in this defense.

5. Is already familiar with AFC North foes the Bengals, Browns, and Ravens.

6. He is an upgrade. No disrespect to Spillane or VW, but he's a better overall ILB than both. While he is not the heart of the LB'ers like VW was or the underdog we all root for like Spillane, he is probably still much a better ILB talent wise than both. 

7. Can call and set the defense. When Bush comes off the field the team won't miss a beat from the standpoint of having someone who can set the defense.

8. Former teammate of TJ Watt. Watt lost bestie Bud, so why not bring in another buddy to fill the void? Don't underestimate the power of the bro-mance.

The middle of the Steelers defense may be ridiculously good. Tuitt, Tyson and Cam playing NG and Nickel DT's respectively. Bush, Schobert, and Spillane rotating in the middle. Minkah and an improving Edmunds back deep. That is pretty stout on all three levels.

• Like 1

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/8/15/22625880/jaguars-to-pay-half-of-joe-schoberts-2021-salary-leaving-the-steelers-with-a-low-cap-hit-news-update

If reports are correct, the Steelers cap his is only $1.88M for this season.

When crunching these numbers together, it leaves Joe Schobert with a very small 2021 salary cap hit for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Assuming there was no void year added to the remaining four-year contract, Schobert is now only on the books for his $990k base salary, $300k roster bonuses, and $590k prorated bonus by dividing his signing bonus by the remaining four years. If the Steelers did add a void year to the end of the contract, the only amount that would actually save any money, the additional savings for the 2021 salary cap would be $118k.

After looking at these totals, the most Joe Schobert is going to count against the Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 salary cap is $1.88 million. After factoring in roster displacement, Schobert only lowers the Steelers current salary cap by $1.03 million assuming all the details were reported by Pro Football Talk.

Looking into the future, Schobert’s final three years of his contract are not guaranteed. Schobert is due a base salary of $8.75 million in 2022, $10.25 million in 2023, and $10.75 million in 2024. Each season also includes $300k in combined per-game roster bonuses and $200k in workout bonuses each year according to his previous contract with the Jaguars as reported on overthecap.com.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Great news there. This will still allow a potential deal for TJ and/or keeping some cap room for signing someone else during the season in the event of an injury, etc.

19 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Bush (if healthy) and Schobert  should be a good pair of ILB's. Then consider Watt and Ingram/Highsmith - seems like a strength to me.  Good moves by colbert to address OLB AND ILB this year. 

Still worried about CB.