Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

He’s making it because of special teams. He’s our best gunner by far. If you pay attention to it he’s the first man to get down and make a tackle almost every single punt we have. 

If you think of special teams as a starting unit - and people should - you’d keep your best special teams players bc that part of the game is important too.

Jimmy got an injury designation, no one knows what that means right now, but hopefully he clears waivers and we can put him on IR.

Our best gunner by far is not great praise for a unit that does poorly. Yes, I agree one needs to be good at special teams if you're the 4th stringer. But that guy also has to be good at his primary job on the offense or defense. Because keeping Apke just because he's a good gunner is a luxury we can't afford when we're trotting this guy out to get toasted when injuries hit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Our best gunner by far is not great praise for a unit that does poorly. Yes, I agree one needs to be good at special teams if you're the 4th stringer. But that guy also has to be good at his primary job on the offense or defense. Because keeping Apke just because he's a good gunner is a luxury we can't afford when we're trotting this guy out to get toasted when injuries hit.

I was just going to post the same thing. Nate Kaczor really must have pushed for Apke. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s making it because of special teams. He’s our best gunner by far. If you pay attention to it he’s the first man to get down and make a tackle almost every single punt we have. 

If you think of special teams as a starting unit - and people should - you’d keep your best special teams players bc that part of the game is important too.

I think this is what we’re seeing, and what we always tend to forget this time of year. 

Guys who have no business taking snaps in the base defense are going to make the roster because they’re being chosen by Nate Kaczor, not Jack Del Rio.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The kick coverage teams are both pretty good at this point. Kickoff team was approximately top 10 via DVOA and punt team was #2 in the league last year. 

Our ST group as a whole still wasn’t great — middle of the road, basically — but that was largely down to the bad return units and below-average FG unit. The two cover teams were second only to Seattle in total DVOA. 

18 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

He looked pretty good. I hope he clears waivers and put on the PS. 

I liked what I saw from him. I had him on my final 53 over Shaka Toney, who it seems will make it. Would definitely like to see him stick around.