Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

We need a RB and a quality LB. Barber is not good. As I said months ago my biggest worry is LB depth. Hopefully pick up someone who has an abundance of RB/LB on Wednesday. 

I concur. LB (2), RB, Kicker hell I would even look at QB. Allen had a chance but man that was awful.

7 hours ago, 4209 said:

I concur. LB (2), RB, Kicker hell I would even look at QB. Allen had a chance but man that was awful.

Allen as our three and to come in and know a lot of the offense is fine by me. I saw enough last year that he was fine. I agree on the other three. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

We need a RB and a quality LB. Barber is not good. As I said months ago my biggest worry is LB depth. Hopefully pick up someone who has an abundance of RB/LB on Wednesday. 

LB depth is by far my biggest worry on this roster. I just will never understand why they didn’t sign better back ups in free agency. They could’ve re-signed KPL to compete w/ whoever our WLB is going to be and we definitely should’ve signed Eric Wilson to be our definite starter at WLB. He’s signed with the Eagles on a 1-year $2.75 mil deal. I just don’t understand what’s going through their head at Lb.

Rivera & JDR are former LBs, and to continue to trot out Bostic & just rely on a raw rookie as your main upgrade makes no sense to me. I get they like Hudson but, I’m actually more concerned about this LB corps than last year because at least last year they had SDH and I thought he was good as a back up. I don’t know why they didn’t give him more of a shot to adjust to their 4-3 scheme but, it is what it is. I look at the back ups now and don’t think they’re better than him, and I question if they’re better than JHC too.

I really think we’re going to be running a lot of 3 safety looks this year. Or at least that’s my hope, we have good starters and good depth at safety.

I guess we’ll see what happens.

While I do agree I’d love to have a young reliable back up behind Gibby, I think the 3 headed monster of Barber, McKissic & Patterson does enough different things and is versatile that it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we had to do that.

7 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Barber lost weight and now is not that 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 that he was. Don’t know what role Barber plays on this team. 

Can’t judge that Barber can’t do that anymore bc he lost 5-10 pounds and just on a few preseason games. The key question is, who else can do it? Gibby hasn’t been consistent in short yardage & neither is McKissic or Patterson from what I’ve seen. 

I do remember someone on sports talk radio pointing out - I think it was Kevin Sheehan - that they’ve been trying Gibby more at short yardage and the results haven’t been great. The person  on pointed out that they kept trying Gibby in the Patriots game and after he failed a few times they went ahead and put Barber in there and low and behold, Barber rushed for a TD.

Edited by turtle28

42 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So do we all, but you want to use a spot on a guy who gets 1/2 a yard to 2 yards on 3rd and 1ish? Nah.

He had 2.7 YPC. I'd rather just see if someone else could do it. 

If we had another back as good or even nearly as good as him at short yardage I’d have no issue with dumping Barber but the fact is we just don’t. It’s a major issue. Gibson with his size should be much better at short yardage but from what I can see he dances around too much on short yardage plays.

I really wish we had drafted a RB in the 5th instead of taking a safety when we were already stacked with depth at the safety position. While I think Forrest is a good athlete & has potential, he’s looked lost out there this preseason but beyond that fact we already had good depth behind Curl & Collins before the draft and then we signed McCain too.

At this point, it’s looking like Forrest could be cut as a 5th round draft pick and that’s not good. I wish we had taken a RB there who could push Barber as our do a little bit of everything back.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we had another back as good or even nearly as good as him at short yardage I’d have no issue with dumping Barber but the fact is we just don’t. It’s a major issue. Gibson with his size should be much better at short yardage but from what I can see he dances around too much on short yardage plays.

You're implying he's "good at short yardage". Is he? I can't say. It's not like 3rd and short should be difficult.  I'd rather try Gibson's "dancing"

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

You're implying he's "good at short yardage". Is he? I can't say. It's not like 3rd and short should be difficult.  I'd rather try Gibson's "dancing"

If you watched last season you’d know that Barber is a good short yardage back, heck I’d even say he’s great at it as I don’t remember a short yardage attempt he didn’t get all last season. 

Yeah, it shouldn’t be difficult to find another guy to be reliable at short yardage but from what I saw of Gibson last year and this preseason is that he doesn’t have that down yet. 

I mean truthfully I don’t even know why people want to cut Barber. We can keep Patterson and Barber. Keeping 4 RBs can be done, rather easily. Heck, we have room for 7 WRs & 5 safeties which seems like overkill at those positions but those players are better than our 10th OL, 4th TE or 6th LB.

I think the best question is who do you want to keep over Barber? Reyes? An 8th WR? A 10th OL? A 6th CB? A 6th LB?

Who in your eyes has earned the right to take a roster spot away from Barber? 

Because, I certainly don’t think he’s lost a roster spot. And I really don’t see anyone out there who’s performed so well as a back up at another position who could be the last few to make it too who’s proven to be more valuable than Barber.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If you watched last season

Obviously I did.

you’d know that Barber is a good short yardage back, heck I’d even say he’s great at it as I don’t remember a short yardage attempt he didn’t get all last season. 

Again, we're giving a spot to a guy who we save for going out to get a yard when it's possible others could do it?

I think the best question is who do you want to keep over Barber? Reyes? An 8th WR? A 10th OL? A 6th CB? A 6th LB?

Anyone that might have a future on this team and provide something of value. 

Who in your eyes has earned the right to take a roster spot away from Barber? 

I'll answer after I see cuts.

Because, I certainly don’t think he’s lost a roster spot. And I really don’t see anyone out there who’s performed so well as a back up at another position who could be the last few to make it too who’s proven to be more valuable than Barber.

His games were 3 carries for 2 yards, 6 for 20 and a TD, and 4 for 12. I don't think he did anything to keep it either.