Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

As others have said, It sucks that Sims Jr didn’t take the next step the past two offseasons/last season after flashing his rookie year as an UDFA, but it’s definitely not a surprise he didn’t make the team. Again, I’m disappointed as others are, but not surprised by this.

I actually feel the same way about this as I did when we cut Harmon. We drafted a WR in round 3 - who’s had a good camp - we signed 2 FAs (Humphries & Carter) who are similar to Steven Sims, and we drafted Milne in round 7 who is also similar and has had a good camp/preseason. 

Without Sims being truly amazing as a return man and slot receiver making plays all over the place in camp and preseason he wasn’t going to make the team. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, MikeT14 said:

Or let Logan sneak it (or fake sneak it).

Honestly this would be smart to practice in these situations. If you have 3rd and short and you're moving quickly, it'd be interesting to try that. Have Logan go under center and Fitz lined up outside. Logan is getting that yard. 

Didn’t they try a trick play with Logan Thomas handing off or something in the Pittsburgh game and it backfired?

I get that we could do that but there’s such as thing as, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Barber was great for us as a short yardage back last year - getting crucial 3rd/4th & 1s, scoring some TDs etc. 

I understand that Barber is not a special back by any stretch of imagination but he is a consistent & reliable player which matters. If Barber wasn’t as consistent as he was last year in his roles I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have won 7 games. 

Now, if Gibson can do what Barber does in short yardage, then I’d consider cutting Barber but I haven’t seen enough out of Gibson for me to think that when they hand it to him on 3rd/4th & 1 that he’s going to definitely get the first down. When they hand the ball to Barber in that case, I’m already signaling first down before the play is over.

22 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Thank goodness they cut Sims. He was a liability when it counted. I know there are some of us that don't share this opinion, but I couldn't have been happier that he isnt here anymore. 

Seems to me that “when it counted,” he was roasting Sean Murphy-Bunting for a TD dripping with toe-drag swag to cut the Bucs’ lead to 28-23 with less than 5 minutes left. Hard to think of many occasions that “counted” more than crunch time of a playoff game.

I get it, though. He was pretty bad last season. Moreso on punt returns than on offense, I thought, but he did have some dropsies as well. I really can’t argue that his level of play last season warranted him getting a sure shot to come back this year. 

That said, one of the things you need as your offense goes up in difficulty level is receivers who can consistently quickly separate from man coverage. When you’re in the red zone, you need guys who can win on their first move because the time and the space are both limited. When you’re playing better defenses, with bigger and more physical corners, you need guys who can beat them with route-running and quickness. McLaurin can do that obviously, but Steven Sims was probably the second-most capable of doing so on the roster. We’ll have to hope Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown continue to develop those route running chops, because I don’t think guys like Cam Sims or AGG are ever going to be able to consistently separate. Just not really their skillset. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Seems to me that “when it counted,” he was roasting Sean Murphy-Bunting for a TD dripping with toe-drag swag to cut the Bucs’ lead to 28-23 with less than 5 minutes left. Hard to think of many occasions that “counted” more than crunch time of a playoff game.

I get it, though. He was pretty bad last season. Moreso on punt returns than on offense, I thought, but he did have some dropsies as well. I really can’t argue that his level of play last season warranted him getting a sure shot to come back this year. 

That said, one of the things you need as your offense goes up in difficulty level is receivers who can consistently quickly separate from man coverage. When you’re in the red zone, you need guys who can win on their first move because the time and the space are both limited. When you’re playing better defenses, with bigger and more physical corners, you need guys who can beat them with route-running and quickness. McLaurin can do that obviously, but Steven Sims was probably the second-most capable of doing so on the roster. We’ll have to hope Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown continue to develop those route running chops, because I don’t think guys like Cam Sims or AGG are ever going to be able to consistently separate. Just not really their skillset. 

I loved & hoped for Steven Sims as much as anyone - heck I predicted he’d have over 50 recs last year - and while of course it’s incredibly important to have guys in the red zone & on 3rd downs who can get open right away with sharp route running & Quickness, you also have to catch the ball. 

Sims had several huge, huge drops last year. Getting open wasn’t his problem, but hands were his problem wether it was receiving or returning.

We do know that Humphries, Samuel & it looks like Dyami Brown too can get open off of route running and quickness - the previous two have done it their entire careers - it’s sad to say that Steven Sims cut himself. Not being a reliable receiver means you can’t make it in the NFL and you will be replaced by someone who can catch. I also have to say that while I don’t expect his brother Cam Sims to get cut now, he better sure up his hands too bc Rivera drafted AGG and AGG seems to have pretty consistent hands where Cam’s have been inconsistent at times last year & this preseason.

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I think if he gets cut or put on the PS he will be playing on another team. No doubt. 

I don’t know. We think that a lot of times when we cut some guys & sign them to our practice squad, sometimes it happens where someone else signs them but a lot of times it doesn’t. He’s a 6th WR/practice squad player on just about every team in the league right now.

34 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I think if he gets cut or put on the PS he will be playing on another team. No doubt. 

I'd think he'd either be on the Jets 53 or on the Jets Practice squad either way reuniting with his College Roommate and QB Zach Wilson