Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

On 8/15/2021 at 6:50 PM, lavar703 said:

And the Rivera crew drafted AGG who can’t play football. Harmon at least should’ve stayed longer than AGG. Dude is terrible. 

I am also disappointed that Harmon hasn't gotten a chance to come back from his ACL.  And I agree, AGG has not taken advantage of his opportunities where Harmon has.  

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’m lost where do you get to the conclusion that we need another RB? And where do you get to the conclusion that Barber could be cut just off of this tweet.

They are cutting players to get down to a number they had to get to. I think it was 85 or something, they had to cut 5 players.

The two players we have on the team who are best at short yardage are Gibson & Barber. I think it’s becoming likely that we keep 4 RBs so we don’t lose Patterson. Barber can do everything a RB would be asked to do and is good covering kicks on special teams, I think it’s unlikely he’s cut unless Patterson proves he is good on special teams and I haven’t heard that he’s good or not good at special teams yet.

Agree.  I like the line up of Barber, Gibson, McKissik and Patterson.  The latter 3 are similar players in that they can catch and run and Barber can be our short yardage monster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m lost where do you get to the conclusion that we need another RB? And where do you get to the conclusion that Barber could be cut just off of this tweet.

They are cutting players to get down to a number they had to get to. I think it was 85 or something, they had to cut 5 players.

The two players we have on the team who are best at short yardage are Gibson & Barber. I think it’s becoming likely that we keep 4 RBs so we don’t lose Patterson. Barber can do everything a RB would be asked to do and is good covering kicks on special teams, I think it’s unlikely he’s cut unless Patterson proves he is good on special teams and I haven’t heard that he’s good or not good at special teams yet.

I’m lost where do you get to the conclusion that we need another RB?    I am talking about the what if's here.

And where do you get to the conclusion that Barber could be cut just off of this tweet. quote "Jaret Patterson and J.D. McKissic split the carries with the second team and Peyton Barber did work with the third-team unit"  So that had me wondering why is Barber with the 3rd team. Maybe it doesn't mean anything but what if it does?  Rivera said he wanted to see patterson get more attempts in the return game. In other words lets see what Patterson can give us in other area's of the game, that means more looks in other area's of the game, which is good news for Patterson. This has the potential of being bad news for for Barber and Johnson especially if he can handle the shortyardage downs. If the right situation plays out Barber is expendable.

I think it’s becoming likely that we keep 4 RBs so we don’t lose Patterson.   What if we keep 3. Now I just saying you don't know if they will keep 4 and I don't know either

Barber can do everything a RB would be asked to do and is good covering kicks on special teams. And what if Rivera says we may!!!!!! need a RB who can give us more and contribute to the team in other ways than Barber. 

What if we have one of our RB go down with and injury. 

What if we get lucky and some teams ends up having a hard decsion to make at RB and that RB can bring more to the table than Barber.  

For the most part some things are not set in stone at least to ME. Now I do think Gibson and Mckiissic are set. Patterson IF!!! he can excel in short yardage situations and he has the skills of a pass cather  and who knows about ST look out Mr barber. To me Patterson is the one to watch.  That leaves Barber. I just think Barber is expendable if the right situation plays out.  But who knows Patterson may not be a good short yardage RB and we may not find another RB that can give us more than Barber, Knock on wood maybe none of our RB have and injuy. Then Barber could make the team.  We will see how all this plays out. Either way we need be prepare for some possibel surprises.

I’m a fan of Patterson, and I want him to make the roster — but I really don’t see him as a short-yardage back. 

The guy is listed at 5’7 and 195 pounds. The height might be a little generous. The closest comparison in terms of those body dimensions might be Tarik Cohen, listed at 5’6 and 191 pounds. Boston Scott is listed at 5’6 and 203 pounds, and Dion Lewis is listed at 5’8 and 195 pounds. Those are the types of players he’s comparable to, from a size standpoint. 

None of those guys is anything close to a short-yardage back. They’re scat backs, for the most part, actually. Change of pace guys. Thinking of Patterson as a replacement in short-yardage for someone like Peyton Barber (listed at 5’11 and 225 pounds) just...doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m a fan of Patterson, and I want him to make the roster — but I really don’t see him as a short-yardage back. 

The guy is listed at 5’7 and 195 pounds. Tje height might be a little generous. The closest comparison in terms of those body dimensions might be Tarik Cohen, listed at 5’6 and 191 pounds. Boston Scott is listed at 5’6 and 203 pounds, and Dion Lewis is listed at 5’8 and 195 pounds. Those are the types of players he’s comparable to, from a size standpoint. 

None of those guys is anything close to a short-yardage back. They’re scat backs, for the most part, actually. Change of pace guys. Thinking of Patterson as a replacement in short-yardage for someone like Peyton Barber (listed at 5’11 and 225 pounds) just...doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. 

Hand the ball off to Daron Payne on 3rd and 1. I'm game. 

• Like 1

Or let Logan sneak it (or fake sneak it).

Honestly this would be smart to practice in these situations. If you have 3rd and short and you're moving quickly, it'd be interesting to try that. Have Logan go under center and Fitz lined up outside. Logan is getting that yard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

This is a little bit of a bummer to me. Out of all the guys on the back end of our roster — basically from Humphries on down, so him plus Cam Sims, AGG, Milne, Carter, Tony Brown, etc — I think Steven Sims actually might have the potential to be the best receiver. 

You just can’t teach that kind of change of direction and short-area burst, nor the ability to do it so fluidly. Some of the routes he ran at the end of 2019 were among the best I saw a Redskin receiver run for two decades. 

But...he was pretty bad last season (except for the playoff game, of all things) and he wasn’t their guy. So I assumed he’d be gone. Hopefully he’ll catch on with someone, preferably not a division team. Until then, we’ll always have this: