Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

Isaiah McKenzie got hurt in practice yesterday, I’d assume that was the impetus for bringing Sims aboard (along with Cole Beasley out with a case of being an idiot).

It’s not a great roster for him — you’d assume Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Beasley, and Gabriel Davis are locks. Aaron Rodgers’s favorite (Jake Kumerow) is there, and while he’s not a great receiver, he’s a big one at least, and probably a valuable blocker/ST core guy. It might come down to what happens with McKenzie — if he’s really hurt for a long while, there’s an obvious spot for Sims. Especially with Beasley’s issues, which seem likely to recur at some point during the season. He doesn’t have McKenzie’s track star speed, but in terms of short-area burst and quickness, they're similar players. And I actually think Sims is a better pure receiver.

Tough to get a team to drop *their guy* for you, though, especially when you only have less than a week to make an impression. If McKenzie’s shoulder comes back as a minor issue, it seems like it might be a tough roster for Sims to crack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

You know I wouldn't be surprised if in several weeks a guy like Harmon or even Sims ends up back on our practice squad roster.  

I tend to think they won’t, but anything is possible. I think it’s much more likely the guys who are going to be the final cuts here in the next few weeks are going to be on our practice squad. 

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So Big 3rd preseason game for Reyes as to if he can be the 3rd TE or if it will be Seals-Jones

Personally feel like best option is to cut Seals-Jones and do the call up from practice squad to roster 1st 2 games then go with Reyes rest of season,rather then risk losing Reyes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

So Big 3rd preseason game for Reyes as to if he can be the 3rd TE or if it will be Seals-Jones

Personally feel like best option is to cut Seals-Jones and do the call up from practice squad to roster 1st 2 games then go with Reyes rest of season,rather then risk losing Reyes

I feel the same way, I am concerned about Reyes’s hands though, but he can continue work on that. I heard that yesterday during practice Reyes dropped like 4 balls or something like that. So, that remains a concern but he’s a good blocker and can be a good special teams guy too.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I feel the same way, I am concerned about Reyes’s hands though, but he can continue work on that. I heard that yesterday during practice Reyes dropped like 4 balls or something like that. So, that remains a concern but he’s a good blocker and can be a good special teams guy too.

That's what I though he be good at-catching-being a BBall player . I was more worried about his blocking ! So far he has total board hands - dammmm

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, turtle28 said:

Interesting. I remember hearing JP Finlay and Brian Mitchell talking up how good Hemingway looked early in camp (I haven't been able to see either of the first two games (first due to work, second due to vacation)).

I kind of feel like Toth re-add is just to protect their guard depth. Schweitzer, Scherff, Flowers, and Lucas are locks as is Roullier. Toth allows them to play most of the third team interior (plus Larsen) without much worry.

Well, not much worry unless your name is Kyle Allen.

Have to say that while I understand letting both Harmon and Sims Jr. go (would have kept Harmon over Sims and AGG, but if you cannot stay on the field, your job is at risk), I cannot say I'm a fan of doing it in favor of AGG. Everything I've heard makes him sound a little bit like a poor man's Josh Doctson. Maybe he shows something tomorrow.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, turtle28 said:

Suppose it’s time to reprise a portion of one of my personal favorite works — even though it went largely unappreciated by the masses. 

“You have to feel for the player. I’m sure he awoke this morning hoping this would prove not to be true at first light, but sadly it is. Though things probably seems dark now, I hope he’ll remember that the sun also rises, and perhaps one day he’ll be back to re-join his teammates in the torrents of springs.

A farewell to Temarrick.”

13 hours ago, Woz said:

Interesting. I remember hearing JP Finlay and Brian Mitchell talking up how good Hemingway looked early in camp (I haven't been able to see either of the first two games (first due to work, second due to vacation)).

I kind of feel like Toth re-add is just to protect their guard depth. Schweitzer, Scherff, Flowers, and Lucas are locks as is Roullier. Toth allows them to play most of the third team interior (plus Larsen) without much worry.

Well, not much worry unless your name is Kyle Allen.

Have to say that while I understand letting both Harmon and Sims Jr. go (would have kept Harmon over Sims and AGG, but if you cannot stay on the field, your job is at risk), I cannot say I'm a fan of doing it in favor of AGG. Everything I've heard makes him sound a little bit like a poor man's Josh Doctson. Maybe he shows something tomorrow.

AGG has looked good this camp and in the preseason games he’s had a few catches. He’s looked better this year.

Hemingway looked awful in the preseason games. He essentially cut himself.