Seahawks agree to 4 year 70 million deal with S Jamal Adams

Turnobili

23 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Didn’t he get destroyed in coverage last year?  I remember about to die Julian Edelman having a career game making so many catches against him week 2

You have to be Ed Reed in coverage for me to give up 2 firsts for a safety 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yup.  I said it in the Steelers forum, that it's a lot for a glorified 2 down backer.

He played injured for much/all of last year and was still their best pass rusher. Think about that. He should be much better in coverage this year when healthy, and he showed that plenty of times when he was on the Jets.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He played injured for much/all of last year and was still their best pass rusher. Think about that. He should be much better in coverage this year when healthy, and he showed that plenty of times when he was on the Jets.

He's pretty average at best in coverage.  

I'll give you this one to think about on a per game average, coming into the league at the same time, played the same number of games:

Player A: 4.6 solo tackles, 1.5 ast tackles, 0.6 QBHits, 1.31 TFL, 0.4 sacks; 7 career FF, 2 career INT

Player B: 3.2 solo tackles, 0.9 ast tackles, 0.4 QBHits, 0.51 TFL, 0.2 sacks; 3 career FF, 7 career INT

Player A makes more than double Player B, almost triple.  Is that worth triple to you?  To back it up, do you know who these two are?

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He's pretty average at best in coverage.  

I'll give you this one to think about on a per game average, coming into the league at the same time, played the same number of games:

Player A: 4.6 solo tackles, 1.5 ast tackles, 0.6 QBHits, 1.31 TFL, 0.4 sacks; 7 career FF, 2 career INT

Player B: 3.2 solo tackles, 0.9 ast tackles, 0.4 QBHits, 0.51 TFL, 0.2 sacks; 3 career FF, 7 career INT

Player A makes more than double Player B, almost triple.  Is that worth triple to you?  To back it up, do you know who these two are?

im guessing one is a steeler?

I don't think it's worth it, but I do think Jamal Adams in the Seahawks' scheme makes their entire team better and the Seahawks basically forced their hand when they traded multiple 1st-round picks for him.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

im guessing one is a steeler?

I don't think it's worth it, but I do think Jamal Adams in the Seahawks' scheme makes their entire team better and the Seahawks basically forced their hand when they traded multiple 1st-round picks for him.

Former.  Mike Hilton who got $6mil AAV from Cincy this offseason.

I just counter that he's an average coverage guy, plus in the box, and I think his pass rushing is very overrated because he's been on two teams that do bring extra rushers at a high rate (which when you are the extra rusher it makes you get better counting stats).

I do agree with the forced their hand with how many 1sts they gave up.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Former.  Mike Hilton who got $6mil AAV from Cincy this offseason.

I just counter that he's an average coverage guy, plus in the box, and I think his pass rushing is very overrated because he's been on two teams that do bring extra rushers at a high rate (which when you are the extra rusher it makes you get better counting stats).

I do agree with the forced their hand with how many 1sts they gave up.

I guess I would implore someone to look at Adams' coverage grades throughout his career. It's news to me that he's regarded as an average coverage guy.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess I would implore someone to look at Adams' coverage grades throughout his career. It's news to me that he's regarded as an average coverage guy.

He ranked #79th among S last year in coverage grades. Meaning he was the worst starting safety in coverage in the NFL and he was worse than 1/2 of the NFL teams 3rd string backups. He is deplorable in that area. Hes bad in coverage by Defensive End standards.

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He ranked #79th among S last year in coverage grades. Meaning he was the worst starting safety in coverage in the NFL and he was worse than 1/2 of the NFL teams 3rd string backups. He is deplorable in that area. Hes bad in coverage by Defensive End standards.

What part of "he was playing injured most/all of last year" was missed here?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He was bad because of injuries. He was good the 2 years prior.

Jamal Adams is a good player IMO. I think a player who is very unique and can be deployed in the multitude of ways is great to have and ultimately very valuable.

He wasn’t worth what Seattle dealt for him, and this may be slightly rich, but he’s worth in the ballpark of this $ wise I’d say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Jamal Adams is a good player IMO. I think a player who is very unique and can be deployed in the multitude of ways is great to have and ultimately very valuable.

He wasn’t worth what Seattle dealt for him, and this may be slightly rich, but he’s worth in the ballpark of this $ wise I’d say.

yeah I wouldn't say this is Joe Flacco highest paid QB territory. He's certainly in that echelon, even if it is an overpay

37 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What part of "he was playing injured most/all of last year" was missed here?

He was never good to begin with, the injuries just compounded his problems. (also, the majority of his injures were to his fingers/elbow/shoulder).

Like the player, but I wonder with his playstyle and injury history if we are not looking at another Bob Sanders situation in a few years.

Edited by AkronsWitness

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He was never good to begin with, the injuries just compounded his problems. (also, the majority of his injures were to his fingers/elbow/shoulder).

Like the player, but I wonder with his playstyle and injury history if we are not looking at another Bob Sanders situation in a few years.

That's the point of contention I'm trying to clarify here. I wanted someone to bring up his coverage stats from his Jets years and see if they matched up with how bad he was last year. So far that has not been provided.